It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:26 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Christoph wrote:
Quote:
And from what I saw when I drove past the parking inspector wasn't quite as impressed with the quality of your work!!

Unless that yellow envelope on your window was a birthday invitation?

Are you talking about my windscreen?... when i went to go home there was this big yellow envelope under my wipers. they suggested i parked in the student parks at either end of the building rather than the parrallel park out the front (where people dont do burnouts and drift into the side of your car) they even had a diagram of the school with the parks highlighted lol. What p*sses me off is a week ago i went and checked with the school if it was ok to park there and they said yeah its fine. f**ked if i know...

You're kidding right?! Some people have all the luck. You may recall a month after paying my last parking ticket the bastards sent me a nice letter giving me ANOTHER fine claiming I hadn't paid up. I'm sorry to anybody here who LIKES parking inspectors, but I think they are scum of the Earth.... don't so much mind cops as they can be useful on occassion, but I ask you... when is a parking inspector EVER useful? I HATE those BASTARDS!!!!!!

It's okay I'll calm down now :)

Anto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:36 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

the curse of the grey ghost
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

What does the fly of handbrake do kev?

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:45 pm 
religious status
religious status

Grasshopper, you are too young to remember... :lol:

The button action is reversed. You push it in to lock it. This means you can pull the sucker up anytime to help get the arse around, without fear of it locking. Good fun on wet roads (like Galston Gorge at night..) :wink:

It's also a hoot at the parking station. Confuses the hell out of the attendants. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:24 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Ooh that sounds like fun, how do I do it?? I've also heard of combination locks on parkbrakes - good so that you can lock it so the car is hard to steal, but you can also lock it so that you dont have to press the button to do hand brakies....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:36 pm 
religious status
religious status

Disclaimer- I have no idea whether these are still legal... :lol:

1. drill out the end of the pawl's pivot pin. Remove.
2. Grind the end off the pin where the pushrod goes in. Remove pin.
3. Make a new slotted piece of steel, shaped like the end of the pawl you just took the pin out of, drill hole for pin.
4. Braze this piece onto the top of the pawl, at the toothy end. Leave room for the tooth to engage the ratchet....!
5. Bend the pushrod 50mm from bottom, about 20* to reach the new slotted piece. Put pins in. Watch it doesn't rub in the tube or jam the button.
6. When you are happy it works, rivet the ends of the pins back over or tack weld them with MIG. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:42 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I think I'll do that to one of my numerous spare hand brakes, just in case the rego guy is unhappy! I take it though if you do this you can still actually use the hand brake for it's intended purpose when you park the car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:51 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

or ya could just push the button in drill a hole through the lot put a pop rivit through it
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:22 pm 
religious status
religious status

Anto wrote:
I think I'll do that to one of my numerous spare hand brakes, just in case the rego guy is unhappy! I take it though if you do this you can still actually use the hand brake for it's intended purpose when you park the car?

Yes it locks like normal, if you lift it up while holding the botton in. When you wanna go, just grab it and let go, it'll `fly off'. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:19 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Okay then I want one. I'll just have to make special note not to use it on my street, enough people hate me as it is :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:24 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I drilled the end of the handbrake and button and fit a pin in there for motorkhanas (prevents the handbrake locking). I also slip a longer bar over the top of the handbrake - extra leverage.

As has already been said, jack up the back end, adjust the rear brakes and then adjus tha cables until you can only JUST turn the wheels fatre two-three clicks. Make then even both sides.

If you still need more leverage you can extend the handbrake levers where they go into the drums by half an inch.

Finally, you can go hydraulic. The trick apparently is to use a Clutch cyl from a Landrover (sory dunno what model). It has a threaded inlet and outlet. Metal hose to rear brakes goes in one side and out the other. Make up a lever out of metal bar - removable so Mr Plod can't defect you. You then have to gut the rear bias valve and fit one UPSTREAM of the hydraulic handbrake cylinder. Otherwise it won't work very well as the bias valve might shut off flow to the rear cylinders before the wheels lock up. 8)

1966 Austin Mini
1965 Morris Mini Traveller
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thats GOLD!! I will have to make one....

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:26 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I watched a mate fit this setup to his mini-based paddock buggy. It works great. I'm planning to fit one to my Auto-Moke too.

I'll have to take some pics of his and find out what model Landy the cyl came from. 8)

1966 Austin Mini
1965 Morris Mini Traveller
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2