Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Pulling the flywheel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey,

I just got hooked up with a flywheel puller and I know I'm supposed to lube up the thread on the main nut...

what substance is best? Motor oil? WD40? Some sorta dry graphite? Johnson's KY personal?

dewey

Post subject: Re: Pulling the flywheel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:09 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

dewey wrote:
Hey, I just got hooked up with a flywheel puller and I know I'm supposed to lube up the thread on the main nut...what substance is best? Motor oil? WD40? Some sorta dry graphite? Johnson's KY personal? dewey

Just a thin smear of axle grease will be fine on the threads. Be very very careful doing this job. Flywheels can fall off but generally they weld themselves on. When the puller strts binding up - stop - then stand well clear and give the nut a tap with a big persueder....you may have to carefully knock the face of flywheel with a wooden block tp help the taper free itself . :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:26 pm 
religious status
religious status

What the pros (not me) do is, do it up tight, if it don't come off, hit the side of the centre boss with a lump hammer and a thick copper drift. This jars it without bruising it.

Warning- stand to one side- they can fly off pretty hard. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Warwick Augustin gave me a tip the other day: when using the puller, screw the big nut back in part MOST of the way, but not all, leave 5-10mm between the base of the head of the nut (which is actually a bolt) and the flywheel. This serves two purposes, it saves you knackering the threads tapped into your crank, and also saves the flywheel popping of and shearing your toes :wink:

Good idea eh? Warwick has come into the shop this week and the next two, to help out while Ivan is away and he has a million little tricks up his sleeve, his knowledge is incredible... Im having a ball

G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

hey

I've got the flywheel off and continued on my merry way pulling stuff off, baggin' and taggin' it for later.

I've got the flywheel housing off and can see gears and bearings and a good part of the crankshaft :) Exciting!

I'm a little unsure how the block is going to lift off the transmission. I have all the nuts and bolts that connect them... on the front, on the back and a couple little beggers that were hiding up the timing cover end. Should the block just lift off and leave the crank/rods/pistons sitting there? I get the feeling the weight and the gasket and the sealant or whatever is holding the block to the tranny but I'm not sure...

dewey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:50 am 
religious status
religious status

dewey wrote:
hey

I've got the flywheel off and continued on my merry way pulling stuff off, baggin' and taggin' it for later.

I've got the flywheel housing off and can see gears and bearings and a good part of the crankshaft :) Exciting!

I'm a little unsure how the block is going to lift off the transmission. I have all the nuts and bolts that connect them... on the front, on the back and a couple little beggers that were hiding up the timing cover end. Should the block just lift off and leave the crank/rods/pistons sitting there? I get the feeling the weight and the gasket and the sealant or whatever is holding the block to the tranny but I'm not sure...

dewey

Double check ALL the bolts are out.
Stick a big screwdriver between idler bearing web and the rear main cap. Lever it gently and it'll free the gaskets. :wink:
Don't drive anything in between the gasket faces... :cry: