Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: This Is Exhausting
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:50 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Thanks for all those that helped me with handbrake suggestions - Next problem and probably more pressing is my exhaust. Everybody who owns a mini knows how much the engine moves around, and how much the exhaust mountings hate it. :evil: :evil: :evil: Does anyone know about flexible joints? I'm looking at modifying the rear mountings to use commodore style figure-8 rubber mounting hooks, but I think i might still need a flexible hose at the front somewhere? Are they expensive? Are they reliable? Any help or other suggestions would be appreciated - bearing in mind i drive this car pretty hard, and it does alot of miles.

Looking forward to some responses - thanks peoples! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:15 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Well I have never done it myself, but it has been recommended by many - put a length of flexible pipe at the bend under the extractors. This helps to stop exhaust breakage. I've never broken an exhaust, so I've never fitted flexible pipe!

I'm told it would add about $100 to the cost of a full exhaust system (last time I checked a full extractors back system inc muffler was $200, without flexible pipe). Never heard of problems with such a system so if you're having problems with exhaust breakage/movement then I say go for it.

Anto

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

I had a lot of trouble getting my motor to stay still, it got so bad the engine would bang agains the firewall, it mashed my ramflo filter!.

I have since learned half of my problem was the rod change gearbox, the remote change acts as an engine mount, in the rod change the exhaust does instead, i used to snap heaps of exhaust brackets too, and lose the bolt securing the collector to the sideplate...

Make sure all your engine mounts and stabaliser rubbers are all good, if its a remote make sure the rearmost mount is in good order, i bought the fancy rubbers that arent rubber for my engine bay, but i have been told they are too hard (by warwick).

Dont bother with those bottom engine steadys, i bought one and it did bugger all!.

Make sure you have two top stabaliser bars, this was my trouble aswell... with esentially clubby running gear in a round front car i couldn't fit the second stabaliser due to the radiator being closer to the motor, if you have a simular problem you need to source, or make, a steady. Problem is the clubby steady comes out of the side of the head, this fouls on the radioator in a round front...

I procured an old custom stabaliser from the Dr which i further customised and fitted, where the stabaliser bracket on the bulkhead bolds down quickly cracked.... I was shown a trick, cut a nice thick bit of plate to fit under where the stabaliser mounts, in the cabin (easiest way is to trace the thin hydro pipe mounting plate or simular) Mark the holes for the bolts and drill out your plate. Then get some nice new bolts and weld/brake them in to the plate, insert your new gizmo via the cabin, so the threads come up into the engine bay, then reassemble the stabaliser mount.... This seems to have worked so for for me..

Another trick is to make sure you have a good split washer on the bolt that holds the collector to the sideplate, the Dr taught me that :wink: . Although i had a fasner guy in at work the other day and he had these fancy new fastners, there like two little washers with cams on them that interlock when tightened and dont rattle loose, he actually showed up today with a sample so i will test them, i reckon there perfect though, they seriously wont come loose! my sample comes on a little plate with a stud and wingnut, and i cant undo the bloody thing! :lol:

Gareth