Ausmini
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Should i bash my cat??
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:23 am 
998cc
998cc

hey guys,
im bored at work again and thinking about my car so i thought id ask a question. I have a stage 1 (its only 200KM old) on my car at the moment that has a Cat on it. i was told by a work collegue that "thinks" hes a bit of a mechanic that if i by-passed it or "bashed" the contents out of it my car will perform better or atleast sound better. is there any truth to this or is he just a smalled handed freek?? Before i put the 1275 ito my car it had a 1098 with no cat and it sounded like a speedway car!! What should i do, leave it or get out a hammer and long handled screw driver and bash away??

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:47 am 
1275cc
1275cc

kasperflipped wrote:
hey guys,
im bored at work again and thinking about my car so i thought id ask a question. I have a stage 1 (its only 200KM old) on my car at the moment that has a Cat on it. i was told by a work collegue that "thinks" hes a bit of a mechanic that if i by-passed it or "bashed" the contents out of it my car will perform better or atleast sound better. is there any truth to this or is he just a smalled handed freek?? Before i put the 1275 ito my car it had a 1098 with no cat and it sounded like a speedway car!! What should i do, leave it or get out a hammer and long handled screw driver and bash away??
there is fact in his statement but y have u got a cat neway ? is this on the clubman? bash it for sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:04 am 
998cc
998cc

When the people who installed my stage 1, they just installed it, i think its part of the kit (the cat that is) It might not even be one, im not the most car savvy person on the planet, but from my engine the 3 exhaust pipes merge into 1 pipe go through a "box/muffler" looking thing then along some more pipe then to another box that i know is the muffler then out into the air. I was told by my work collegue that the first box was the cat. and yeah it is on my clubman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:18 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

ahhh the good old late modle exhaust system you can do what you say OR you can get a link pipe to remove the cat and sell it to someone with a rover mini
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:37 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

lol... it shouldn't be on man, take the cat off! It's not standard equipment, not needed, and will give ya some performance with it off!

Take it to some zorst place to get it taken off and replaced with a bit of pipe.

Post subject: Cats
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:10 pm 
848cc
848cc

If you R gunna run ULP or PULP (if Uve had the head done) then you would be a good enviromental Citizen by leaving the cat alone on the other hand My Rover has one but it don't sound like my old 1&3/4 system on the clubie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:54 am 
848cc
848cc

might also be a resonator (keeps down the sound of your exhaust)

or possibly, but unlikely a flex pipe that most new cars have so u dnt ripp off ur exhaust manifold when u scrape over bumps....

best way to tell is to take one flange off and take a look inside with a light....

if u can see straight through it then its prob a resonator, if u see mesh, honey comb like mtl covering through it then its a cat and get rid of the thing.

hope this helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:52 pm 
religious status
religious status

Either run it like is or remove it. If you bash it, all you will do is clog it up....!

If it's mounted halfway down the car it is probably just a resonator. 8)

Post subject: Re: Cats
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:36 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

marconi wrote:
If you R gunna run ULP or PULP (if Uve had the head done) then you would be a good enviromental Citizen by leaving the cat alone on the other hand My Rover has one but it don't sound like my old 1&3/4 system on the clubie.

if you are running leaded emissions thru the cat its f*&%ed neway because leaded emissions reverse and destroy the catalyst in the converter :) its amazing what u learn at tafe when u listen:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:52 pm 
998cc
998cc

I'll give ten points to who can tell me what the catalyst in the converter is made of...................

First correct posted reply wins 8)

EDIT.... Here's a tip, its the reason the catalytic converters are so damn expensive

If ya bash the converter all you'll do is break the steel mesh away from the inside, and it'll rattle real bad.

Be happy as an environmentalist, or remove it completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:16 pm 
religious status
religious status

PALLADIUM, AND/OR IRIDIUM. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

Close enough. Its usually Platinum or Palladium. either of these are astronomically expnsive materials :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

I 'bashed' the cat on my late model rover mini, and helped the performance a bit, also sounds heaps better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:14 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Wait... If the cat is supposed to be removed... and you have a stage 1 kit in there, then if you bash away couldn't you be taking out the turbo fan? The turbine that uses the exhaust? It's probably no where near the cat converter.. and I'm probably completely wrong... But just thought I'd say :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

h0nk wrote:
Wait... If the cat is supposed to be removed... and you have a stage 1 kit in there, then if you bash away couldn't you be taking out the turbo fan? The turbine that uses the exhaust? It's probably no where near the cat converter.. and I'm probably completely wrong... But just thought I'd say :)

Me thinks you are confused :lol:
There is no turbo in a stage 1 kit...Even if there was a turbo... it is not in the Cat ;)