Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: FIRE WALL MODS
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:55 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

hey ppls.... is there any bracing needed for fire wall mods? eg: weber holes...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:23 am 
1275cc
1275cc

hey mafia!!

from what i've read, it doesnt need to be strengthened, just sealed and fire proof. Pop rivets are okay but wont stop fuel leaking into the cabin... and silicon isnt really fire proof... which is why i'd go with a welded box...

note: that part of the dash in early minis is a hole anyway!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:03 am 
1098cc
1098cc

thanks for that supercharged 850, thats just what I wanted hear!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

Have twin 1½" Hitachi carbs on our clubby at present. As the carbs are really for a 1.5 /1.6 ltr Nissan they are much too big for our 1.33 Mini. Cant get them jetted down as you cant get the jets. Anyway I have got a 45 DCOE Weber and manifold (from ebay) to go on to replace them. Spoke to the local Mini Guru in WA about getting the firewall cut. I work behind an engineering shop and they owe me a few favors. The guy said "Dont cut the fire wall" it all depends on the lenght of the manifold your using and if you want to use velocity stacks or an air filter. He said you can now get slim line air filters than will allow you to run a weber with out firewall mods. As the Manifold I have is quite long cant see it fitting in my case. But yours may work. I have a couple of pics of firewall mods if you want them. In most cases they weld up a box.
Seen the 48mm Webers you can get on the Minimania site that have the stacks going off at 90º to stick up through the bonnet? I think that would look wicked! But a bit overboard on size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:05 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Very true, poorboy racer!

40 or 45DCOE webers (side-draft) can be fitted without cutting the firewall, using a short inlet manifold (3 inches tall) and short sub-stack ram pipes inside a K&N filter. HOWEVER fitting a weber to your mini is not always a case of whether it fits or not.... you could end up losing power if the setup does not tune properly with your engine... You'll find that changing the ram pipes will alter the power. Changing the BRAND of inlet pipes will change the power - even if it is the same size!!

Usually, longer weber inlet manifolds help produce more power (and reduce dash space!!)

As for downdraft, i agree too, the 28/36 DCD weber is a reliable little unit, and the setup wont squeeze under the bonnet. SEE PIC BELOW (FROM MINIWORLD ISSUE #1) I guess you could cover it, or use a flatter filter......

Its all about getting the AIR FLOWING. Shop around a bit, i'm sure something will work for you..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:33 pm 
998cc
998cc

im in this situation.......im getting a box shipped in from england for the turbo to sit behind the engine:)....as long as its welded in( or pop riveted as someone else said) and sealed its all good:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2004 7:18 pm 
religious status
religious status

Boxes?? I don't need no stinkin' boxes- my 45 Dellorto just fits with a Ramflo filter on a modded Redline 3005 manifold.... :wink:

Stay away from the Lynx gooseneck manifolds- I had one- what a POS!

Redline one is good (on my road car anyway), it will take full throttle at 2600, with a Graham Russell cam, and howls all the way to 8000 if I let it.

I milled the mounting angle up to 16* for a little clearance, I actually now have a cover screwed over the firewall hole to shut it up a bit.. 8)

Then I spent 9 hours porting it..

S instruments are all in stock position.