Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

Umm, if ya wanna know the effects of a fire extinguisher in an accident, ya might recall Paul Morris stalling his V8 supercar on the grid a year or two back.

He got smashed from behind, and the fire extinguisher tore out of the rear bulkead and smacked into the back of his seat. Poor buggar climbed out of the car, and had to crawl away since he couldnt stand up, until the marshall's were able to help him.

Since that was an 8000 dollar carbon fibre Recaro seat, you can imagine what an extinguisher hitting the back of a standard race seat will do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:41 am 
1275cc
1275cc

PhildoD wrote:
Umm, if ya wanna know the effects of a fire extinguisher in an accident, ya might recall Paul Morris stalling his V8 supercar on the grid a year or two back.

He got smashed from behind, and the fire extinguisher tore out of the rear bulkead and smacked into the back of his seat. Poor buggar climbed out of the car, and had to crawl away since he couldnt stand up, until the marshall's were able to help him.

Since that was an 8000 dollar carbon fibre Recaro seat, you can imagine what an extinguisher hitting the back of a standard race seat will do.
yeh , firstly tho . it wasnt a 4.5kg fire bomb, not a 900g extinguisher , also the accidentwas at oran park , my local track

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I have a 2S and have done a few events at Phillip Island and such.

My extingusher is bolted to the floor behind the passenger seat on the van. Quite within reach. I can release the extinguisher while steering if required.

For the two throttle return springs I removed the stock single spring and replaced it with two thinner springs from Autobarn - cost about $3. I had to cut a few coils off to get the length and tension right.

For the bonnet hold down I have a bracket fitted to the underside of the bonnet via the bolts that hold on the bonnet catch. I loop a light duty rachet belt around that and thread it between the top of the grille and the bonnet slam panel. Tighten it up and off you go.

Always past scrutineering, no problems. 8)

1966 Austin Mini
1965 Morris Mini Traveller
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:48 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Gotta be careful with your bonnet straps (or whatever you plan to use), cos 99% of them are illegal here in SA. The rubber handled ones are illegal, the steel pin-style that come thru the bonnet are illegal too... but the leather strap ones are fine ( and look good too )

I've seen race cars fitted with a seat belt buckle as a bonnet tie down (creative, quick to release, but damn ugly and cheap looking)

Yeah, and bolt the extinguisher into the car, it'll be useful on normal roads too.... been there once before....

Last edited by supercharged 850 on Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:22 pm 
998cc
998cc

Bonnet Pins are illegal in SA. DAMNNNNNN. How stoopid is that???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:11 am 
1275cc
1275cc

...thats right.... the theory is that the pins could cause serious injury to humans if they get hit by a car fitted with em....

"...no sir, your car isn't dangerous - but those bonnet pins are....." :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:12 am 
religious status
religious status

But 2 steel buckles buried in their sorry a$$ is OK....! Don't worry Sir!:lol:

I can see the `point' with pins, but why not the rubber ones? Maybe it's the catches they hook onto...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:02 am 
1275cc
1275cc

If that was the case, then every Moke made is illegal. All they have from the factory is rubber T catches. But I guess since they are on the side of the bonnet it's not so critical.

1966 Austin Mini
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:33 am 
998cc
998cc

Uh oh, spose we'd better remove the antenna for the radio, and the side mirrors, and those nasty Windscreen washer jets. Ya never know what they could do to someone. Geeeeez, like a car hitting you at 40 odd kays an hour's mpt gonna stuff yer day enough as it is.

Oh yeah, better remove yer bonnet/grill badge just in case it gets stuck in some idiot's forehead too. would serve em right for damaging your car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:23 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Not to mention all the old Benzes, Fairlanes, Valiants, Hillmans etc running around with two inch high spiky badges at the front and centre of the bonnet! More potential damage to a pedestrian there than a couple of bonnet pins.

I think half the time it comes down to some moronic young cop on a power trip who just wants to slap yellow stickers on all 5+ year old or modfied cars. They don't care if a mod is legal or not, half of them wouldn't know a bonnet pin from a bull bar.

If they don't like the driver or the car they just put the canary on it anyway. :x

Rant over.

1966 Austin Mini
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:10 pm 
the King of Bling

My turn for my 2 bobs worth

Ifv they have problems with Bonnet pins and questions on LOL with anythink x the bonnet Ill raise the issue re the Bull shite Bar's on FWD They are not standerd and can make a real mess of more than a rog arm and a rog Mini.

What a lod of shite they are for the outback most of ours in Syd dont get dirty except for the rain

gamfo
in the Hills

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:55 pm 
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK
I DWIVE A BIG TWUCK

i use to use my 4wd for it's intended purpoise but now i work so much i dont get to drive it :(
makka

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:40 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Yes, I lve in Melbourne and have a fourby too. But it gets used for towing caravans and Minis on car trailers as well as offroading.

The contrast is quite amazing between the Mini van and the fourby:

4x4:
Turbo Diesel
Auto
Air
Power steer
Seven Seats
Power windows
Remote central locking
Cruising range 700km
2000kg

Minivan:
Petrol
Manual
No air - but it has a heater
No pwr steer
Two seats
Windup windows
No central locking
Cruising range 250km
650kg

But guess which one I drive every day! (Hint - it's more fun!) 8)

1966 Austin Mini
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:40 am 
1275cc
1275cc

i've often wondered what kind of injury a human could get from getting hit by a police car - that light bar on the roof aint exactly smooth.....

oh - i see your police car is a little LOWER than standard - DEFECT!!!

oh - i noticed that siren of yours is very loud too - DEFECT!!!

oh - i noticed you were chatting on the 2-way while you were driving - mobile phone law???