Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:53 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: manifold
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

hello,
im about to chuck a exhaust system on my mini,and to put LCB's on i am gunna take off my 1 1/4SU and put a 1.5" SU on a stock manifold,but seen a water heated manifold for a 1.75" SU,and im thinking,will they be better than a stock manifold,and WHY,WHAT DO THEY DO??????????,
P.S.i will be running a ram tube with a sock on the end
IS IT WORTH IT?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The aftermarket inlet manifolds generally flow better - I've been told they are worth up to 4hp, though I'll believe that when I see the dyno sheets. Ignore the 'water heated' bit, that is only useful if your carb ices up in winter - not that common in Australia. The manifolds can generally be used for both HS6 and HS4 carbs, you just have to remove two studs for HS4.

If you can get a decent aftermarket manifold then they are better - not only flow, but they have the locating pegs that make it nice and easy to line up to the ports on the head. Cut stock manifolds can be a real pain in that regard. I've always found the cost of an aftermarket a bit much considering a cut stock manifold costs basically nothing. But each to their own I guess.

Cheers,
Anto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:32 pm 
religious status
religious status

I agree-
It depends on the rest of the motor though- with a stock head and cam there is about 3-4HP going from an HS2 carb & manifold to a later HS4 one (as on the automatics). If you cut the inlet off the exhaust, that's worth a couple, according to Vizard and Trickey.
I doubt there would be a heap more with an aftermarket manifold unless the head etc has been done, and like you say the HS4 ones cost zip.
To locate the inlet manifold after cutting exhaust off, I build up the outer end lugs with weld then file to just fit on the studs. You can do this with stick weld (Ni rods for cast iron) or just put blobs of MIG on there. And yes you CAN still file it, it's soft enough.. :wink: