Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Fitting Jap seats
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

Just wondering if any one has experience with fitting these. I'm having a roll cage fitted and am planning on racing when I can but the car will also be road registered. The racing meansI want to fit harneses but unfortunatly in NZ to be road registered you have to have standard three point seatbelts. What I am afte is jap seats that will accomodate the harness. Is there particular ones that will fit in my Mini. :?:

Post subject: Re: Fitting Jap seats
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 5:48 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Lil Bst wrote:
Just wondering if any one has experience with fitting these. I'm having a roll cage fitted and am planning on racing when I can but the car will also be road registered. The racing meansI want to fit harneses but unfortunatly in NZ to be road registered you have to have standard three point seatbelts. What I am afte is jap seats that will accomodate the harness. Is there particular ones that will fit in my Mini. :?:
what ever jap seats u get, u will need to do sum custom fabrication, everyone here thats fitted jap seats have done it them selves, un engineered ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 11:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

engineer approval is required with any non-mini seat fitted but with that in mind, hyundi exel '95 & '96 fit in nicely and dont foul anything like handbrake or door buckets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 1:50 pm 
848cc
848cc

as far as i know in victoria at least you may certainly use different seats without enginieers aproval so long as the original mountings are used.

i have metro seats mounted in mine that i bought from northern mini parts for $300 , very comfortable, don't foul anything (cant say for door bins cos i don't have any)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 6:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

love the carpets 'steveandsash'.... they look as good as mine :lol:
are they 'roll forwards' ? do they mount to the same old mounts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 8:52 pm 
848cc
848cc

carpets are great arent they, theres a place that advertise in street machine that do fully molded carpet for about 160 for their best stuff, i'll be checking them out pretty soon.

anyway with the seats yes they mount to the 2 front mounts and have feet on the rear that it sits on. the back rest just folds forward, its best if you slide the seat forward ofcourse. they are not as good as the originals for getting in the rear, but i imagine they are better than most others would be.

1973 south african mk3, 1275 +30 (1300), RE13 cam, hif44, mildy worked head with s sized valves, pulsar dizzy, 1.5:1 minispares forged rockers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2004 9:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Animal wrote:
engineer approval is required with any non-mini seat fitted but with that in mind, hyundi exel '95 & '96 fit in nicely and dont foul anything like handbrake or door buckets.

I will second that. I was in a wreckers getting some other stuff and just so happened to stick my head in that model Excel. First thing I noticed was that seat base/mount for the Excel is VERY SIMILAR to a Mini. Floor pan in the Excel is also very similar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:22 pm 
848cc
848cc

I was fortunate enough to have a mini come into the shop with them fitted, and seeing as my missus bought it, i though i'd relieve her of them and now they are fitted to animal. Very comfy compaired to the old tombstones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 9:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

Animal wrote:
I was fortunate enough to have a mini come into the shop with them fitted, and seeing as my missus bought it, i though i'd relieve her of them and now they are fitted to animal. Very comfy compaired to the old tombstones.

You talkin about the 'say hi to hyundai' seats? If so, got pics of their installation?

Post subject: excel seats
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 10:14 am 
848cc
848cc

Hey guys!

I just bought myself a pair of Hyundai Excel seats from an "x3" model.
Anyone got any advice on how I can mount them? I've got my own ideas, but any help from you guys would be grreat!

ray

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 2:38 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I've seen Daihatsu Charade Turbo seats used in a Mini - looked like they lived there.
Gemini, RWD Corolla and mid-80 Tercel look like a possibility too.

WRX seats would be nice - they have the harness holes. But I'm sure wreckers would want a squillion dollars for them! :(

My Moke currently has Daihatsu Scat 4x4 seats - not great but decent Moke seats are extinct and there is no room for anything much wider.

I bought a second-hand Recaro recliner drivers seat a few weeks ago for a bargain $15! :D Even the trim is good, it's just dirty and missing seat runners and headrest. I'm not sure yet whether I will try and squeeze it into the Moke or fit it to the van instead.

Watch out if you get Excel GX seats - the ones with height adjust and lumbar support. I had a 97 Excel GX for four years and 100,000km. At least three times I had problems with the height adjust not raising evenly side to side when the knob was turned. So check it carefully!

1966 Austin Mini
1965 Morris Mini Traveller
1973 LR Series 3 88
2007 LR Freelander 2