Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Best option?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey all,

My car is off the road and i am investigating what i can do to trick it up a bit. the standard 1098 is boring and not near as powerful as id like.

Im intrested in forced induction. Particularly supercharging as it is seems much easier to accomplish (esp considering minis engine bay) and im looking into small japanese cars with them (that other thread was useful for that. thanks)

but im going to have to do something more, so i want to know if its worth just overhauling the 1098, and while im doing that, turn to unleaded and fit a road/rally cam.
how much power would i be looking at making out of a proper tuned twin SU setup on this?
Im guessing the engine would be too weak to take a supercharger?

would it be better in your opinion to get an MG Metro Turbo block/head? im GUESSING the internals are stronger than a standard, and more capable of boost? I could road/rally cam this and supercharge later. but im not sure of the price of the engine and shipping.

finally, the 16v option sits in my mind. is it SO MUCH more than the cost of these to setup a BASIC SwiftGTi engine in the mini? im talking purely in and running, nothing else (yet :))

its all a big question to ask i know, but ive just decided to hang onto the mini, and i got a break coming up where i wish to start working on it.
Thanks for any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 1:58 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I'm not going to say anything against the 1098 motor, I have one in my Mini and I think it is a great road going motor. But that's not to say I'd plonk a supercharger in there! You'd be better off going for say a 998, which when built properly is a much better revving engine. The weak bottom end of the 1098 might be a downfall.

A Metro turbo motor with a supercharger would be a better bet. I believe the bottom end is strengthened somehow? Well, there's something special about them even if I don't know what it is.

As for the Swift motor, yeah that would be sweet. But I recall somebody mentioning the cost of a subframe in another post, and it had a few trailing zeros. To put a Swift engine (rebuilt) with a turbo and get the engineering etc done leaves you with only a little bit of change from $10000 I'm told.

Anto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:09 pm 
848cc
848cc

thats one reason i said basic. everyone i have seen has put turbo intercooler setup or tried to eliminate torque steer. im just curious about the basic transplant for now.
but still sounds out of my budget.

as for the 1098. i have that in my car now. i have a 998 sitting under a bench.
i head the 998 is a better revving engine, however the 1098 has a larger stroke so .. i thought it would be better in forced induction. owell.
yeh i kinda dont want to go below 1098cc.

anyone have any idea how much a metro turbo block and head (with all internals of course) would set u back in australia? just a rough estimate. i have seen them going in miniworld mag a while back and on ebay real cheap (like 300pounds) but i dont know if this was normal. Seems a good idea anyways. especially if im want to work it more later (boring poential and easier to get performance parts)

Thanks so far :)