Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:06 am 
religious status
religious status

Having once fitted (and subsequently binned) a fuel pump hole breather (S canister) on a 1275, I'd be worried about the crank and rods throwing oil UP those hoses...
I ran it to a PCV valve, and it made like JB007 once it hit 4500 rpm.
So... good luck... :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:13 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

ah we`ve been using them for years

however,,, if they are the empty ones (no gauze in them) & if you have a big breathing engine,, either lots of piston-ring blow-by & or a wobbly-bore from being really big bore & no other means for engine brewathing apart from that made-up fuel-pump hole breather,,, then yeah, sure, it`s going to pump oil up

but, if it`s a little breather with good sealing rings & other breathers/drains to help the situation,,, then there`s no problem using the fuel-pump-hole-breather-catch-can,,, especially if it`s the type that is filled with gauze.

:-)

but,,, they are a pain to make & a bit hard to get to & if not made right & leak,,,welllll,,, so they`re not the bees-knees or anything,,,, they just help in some circumstances,,, like this one :-)

& Steve,,, take eveything that people say here with a grain of salt mate,,, i think you`re idea of using the fuel-pump as a collector/drain/breather is a beauty... one thing tho , i`d probably try to make the drain from the front of the head a bit bigger if you can

& your kit is packed & ready to go, sending this arvo,,, & may it be full of magic beans for you :-)
cheers
Matt

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:26 pm 
998cc
998cc

I like your Thinking

drain pipes do need to be bigger tho

kep up the good work , your giving me insperation to get started on my Twinky :D

Beanie

HOTBRICKS
http://hotbricks.org.au/

'65 NCF MINI.....
'69 MINIMATIC.... 9 year resto still on the go

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:00 pm 
religious status
religious status

Mine was full of gauze, it made no difference. Crank throws oil like a BIG sprinkler.
These canisters are just a flame trap, not a real oil separator...
What you need is a baffle of some sort facing the crank, where it sticks into the block.

The MiniMania baffled alloy breather allegedly works, but I've not used one.
[edit] here's a link, with pic:
http://www.minimania.com/part/C-2A265/C ... P-MOUNTING

Last edited by drmini in aust on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the feedback, that's what I needed to make the necessary improvements.

I still might build the catch-can type, or have a look at the mini mania one. Even the baffle at the exit of the block is worth looking at. But I'm sure all bespoked hardware starts off with a prototype then is enhanced.

Don't forget there is another oil drain/breather coming from the rear of the head to the crankcase breather and a third breather from the front of the head plate.

That's why I'm here on Ausmini seaking the best advice.

p.s. As far as how much oil is drained back through these drain hoses. I don't know, so I suppose I should find out before going much further! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:19 pm 
848cc
848cc

A little more progress, and a lot of contemplating the oil return and breather system.

First sent the head away and had the valves re-seated and new valve stem seals. The head man welded Matt's front sealing flange on and welded the rear oil returns. With the welding done he machined it nice and flat, and set the cam/valve clearances.

I got a fairly cold reception to my last oil return/breather system last time, so all things considered I'm going to throw it out there again :( .

Please note It was hard trying to mock something up in mid air, so when you look at it dissregard tio fact that the hoses are different sizes and don't reach their point of attachment.

Briefly, hoses will run from the breather at the rear of the block and the filler at the crankcase to the "Catch Tank" the clear hose will run to the inlet manifolds via a PCV.

Now!!, I'll sit back and wait for your opinions :shock:

Whilst we're after advice, the plate that will bolt to the old fuel pump hole has one large hole, then I read Matt's build guide again and it says "some holes". So now I'm thinking that it should have numerous small holes, which would act as a bit of a "Baffle", like the Dr suggested. What do we reckon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:39 pm 
religious status
religious status

I reckon it needs to stick in thru the hole and have a baffle or weir attached at the end that the oil can drip off of and not get out of the crackcase.
Or buy the MiniMania one I showed in my post above ^^.

Mine (looked identical to yours) flung a sh!teload of oil up there once it hit 4500rpm. During running in below that, it was fine, I thought it was home and hosed. But NOT... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

Kev
I did go and have a look at that mini mania breather, but I couldn't see how I could also get the oil drains into as well. When you mentioned baffles the first time I went and spoke to the man who did my dyno (he races and prepares speedway and track cars) and he showed me a set up on a big V8. It was a baffle set up to stop oil blowing out the filler hole on the tappet cover. The round tube was cut twice at 45* and two opposing plates welded in. Do you thing this might work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:59 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

hey Steve, lookin good bro, getting there now

& if you`d like to keep thingds a bit less messy with pipes down the back, you could drill & tap threads into the block for the oil returns

if you check out the back of the block, the big long horizontal oil gallery that anifolds all the lifter bores together yeah>??? well you can drill into that if you like

anyways, just a thought cause we do that sometimes (most times)

that way you can keep the fuel pump hole for turbo drain,,, breather,,, oil filler... whatever else you need :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:00 pm 
religious status
religious status

It might work but I doubt it, the crank and rods are like a water pump impeller. My car had new SS mesh in there and still made like JB007.

How about weld one like that across the end where it goes in the hole.. it can stick in there a bit without hitting the cam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:23 pm 
848cc
848cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
hey Steve, lookin good bro, getting there now

& if you`d like to keep thingds a bit less messy with pipes down the back, you could drill & tap threads into the block for the oil returns

if you check out the back of the block, the big long horizontal oil gallery that anifolds all the lifter bores together yeah>??? well you can drill into that if you like

anyways, just a thought cause we do that sometimes (most times)

that way you can keep the fuel pump hole for turbo drain,,, breather,,, oil filler... whatever else you need :-)

Hi Matt. Have you got any photos of that set up you can post. That way I might be able to the "mini mania" breather, as kev suggested, just for breathing. Although I can't picture what's in that little round alloy piece that would be any better than what I have shown.

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:35 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

There`s no "trap" in the mini-mania alloy housing, it`s just billet alloy housing

you`re doin fine,,, the oil catch can isn`t a bad idea, we`ve been using them for literally years & years & years & even the Early turbo-twinkys that we built still have them fitted & work fine with over 160hp on tap

but,,, i prefer to use the oil drain path into the block these days because (like i said before) it makes things a lot neater & less drama with too-much oil in the one catch can

& yes i`ll take some pics & post em up tomorow or monday
it`s Marlys birthday today today so i`m not supposed to be sitting on the computer :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

drmini in aust wrote:
It might work but I doubt it, the crank and rods are like a water pump impeller. My car had new SS mesh in there and still made like JB007.

How about weld one like that across the end where it goes in the hole.. it can stick in there a bit without hitting the cam.

Do you mean like this?? Any thoughts on the system for the breathers, IF I can sort this area out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:43 pm 
848cc
848cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
There`s no "trap" in the mini-mania alloy housing, it`s just billet alloy housing

you`re doin fine,,, the oil catch can isn`t a bad idea, we`ve been using them for literally years & years & years & even the Early turbo-twinkys that we built still have them fitted & work fine with over 160hp on tap

but,,, i prefer to use the oil drain path into the block these days because (like i said before) it makes things a lot neater & less drama with too-much oil in the one catch can

& yes i`ll take some pics & post em up tomorow or monday
it`s Marlys birthday today today so i`m not supposed to be sitting on the computer :-)

Thanks Matt, I'll be on the phone to you if I get realy stuck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:49 pm 
religious status
religious status

dalmeny wrote:
drmini in aust wrote:

Do you mean like this?? Any thoughts on the system for the breathers, IF I can sort this area out?

Yes something like that but I'd trim the outer bit of tube off it so the baffle is at the end of the tube.
Still thinking about the breather system...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 19  Next