Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:17 am 
1275cc
1275cc

zulu_warrior1976 wrote:
Twinky just looks too complicated looking at the Phase 2 topic on this site.

I would say complex, lots of little jobs really, but that's why a 7 or 8 alloy A series head could be quicker, cheaper, easier, it won't flow as well or produce as much power but there a ship load better than a 5 port.

Looking back through all the posts the general idea is, decide what head you'll use then build the engine around that. There's not a massive amount you can do to a small bore block, the power is in the head, fueling and induction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:30 pm 
848cc
848cc

This is a great thread with some great ideas!

I've just built my new (to me) engine:
998 + 060
12G940 Head
266 Cam
HIF44
Minispares Alloy Inlet
Maniflow 1.75" exhaust (twin box)

I'd like to see it get 60HP at the flywheel or so. I'm hoping to start it up this weekend and once I do I'll look to get it dyno'd over the next few weeks after run-in.

I am really keen on the SC12 supercharger kit and hope to put that on to this engine if I can get one soon.

I see a lot of you guys mentioning the Turbo route, do you guys use all Metro/A-series turbo stuff, or fabricate your own kits for it? I've only ever seen one metro turbo kit here and the guy was after mega dollars (3 times what I paid for a couple of spare large bore motors - 1293 and 1330).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:41 pm 
religious status
religious status

mailman wrote:
This is a great thread with some great ideas!

I've just built my new (to me) engine:
998 + 060
12G940 Head
266 Cam
HIF44
Minispares Alloy Inlet
Maniflow 1.75" exhaust (twin box)

I'd like to see it get 60HP at the flywheel or so. I'm hoping to start it up this weekend and once I do I'll look to get it dyno'd over the next few weeks after run-in.

I am really keen on the SC12 supercharger kit and hope to put that on to this engine if I can get one soon.

I see a lot of you guys mentioning the Turbo route, do you guys use all Metro/A-series turbo stuff, or fabricate your own kits for it? I've only ever seen one metro turbo kit here and the guy was after mega dollars (3 times what I paid for a couple of spare large bore motors - 1293 and 1330).

`Benjamin' on here was doing manifolds for a T2.5? I think it was. Fits without any firewall butchery.
I got the flanges laser cut for him a while back, PM him and see if he's still doing the biz.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

Should start off with im am very green behind the ears when it comes to this stuff.

All ive been thinking about is a 1275 for my clubman! But after reading this thread I am starting to get excited about working the 998 I already have under the bonnet! Thanks for the read. Is there an easy starting point? I have to get a new clutch so will have it in bits soon well the mechanic will!. Oh and I already have discs on the front!!! What type of cash am I looking at to make decent difference to my 998?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:26 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Mountainbrett wrote:
Should start off with im am very green behind the ears when it comes to this stuff.

All ive been thinking about is a 1275 for my clubman! But after reading this thread I am starting to get excited about working the 998 I already have under the bonnet! Thanks for the read. Is there an easy starting point? I have to get a new clutch so will have it in bits soon well the mechanic will!. Oh and I already have discs on the front!!! What type of cash am I looking at to make decent difference to my 998?

Depends on what you mean by decent. If you haven't got a stage 1 kit yet (extractors, rc40 exhaust, inlet manifold, a good air filter and new needle and spring) that's a good start. A stage 1 kit and a tune by somebody who knows minis will make you think it's a different engine. I think you can get them for around $500 or so.

Provided that everything else is in order (mainly your electrics - make sure you have an electronic ignition, that's another good return on investment), your next step is head modding. Porting and polishing with bigger valves. This still makes a huge difference, but not as cheap as the stage 1.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:17 pm 
Oh dear, worry, worry...

HI Mountainbrett
If you can hold of a little bit longer i will have my new pistons for the small bore motors they should be here next month they will be 68mm flat tops this will take the 1100 out to 1215cc and the 998 out to 1106 cc they are the same spec material as my other pistons with an excellent top quality ring package, will make the small bores really perform well with out having to buy a 1275 unit, and i have some new cams i have designed to go with them 1275 performance with a small bore, just love the small bores, i will build a project motor with these pistons and post it here.
Graham Russell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Cool! Can't wait for that.

M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:48 pm 
religious status
religious status

GR wrote:
HI Mountainbrett
If you can hold of a little bit longer i will have my new pistons for the small bore motors they should be here next month they will be 68mm flat tops this will take the 1100 out to 1215cc and the 998 out to 1106 cc they are the same spec material as my other pistons with an excellent top quality ring package, will make the small bores really perform well with out having to buy a 1275 unit, and i have some new cams i have designed to go with them 1275 performance with a small bore, just love the small bores, i will build a project motor with these pistons and post it here.
Graham Russell

Graham, will the block still need to be offset bored at 68mm as stated in Vizard's book? This exercise puts the #4 bore awfully close to the oil pump to banjo pipe drilling. One of the 3 motors I built like this some years ago broke through when bored and we had to sleeve the oilway.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:18 pm 
Oh dear, worry, worry...

Hi Kevin
All the motors iv'e done so far with forged pistons did not go through but that's not to say they won't yes you will have to offset the bores, but it's still cheaper to get a small bore block than an a+ block when they leak water because of core shift when you bore them to 73mm/ 73.5mm.
Graham Russell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:12 am 
religious status
religious status

Mmmmm..... [1215cc flat top pistons + 12G940 head + notched block + 1275 gasket + good cam] = cheap performance goodness... :P
Been there done that, in 1968.

Graham, can we please have round wire circlips in these pistons (outboard motor tech) so the buggers don't come out when we give it a good rev? Just a thought...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:57 pm 
Oh dear, worry, worry...

Hi Kevin
To late for that these clips are used in race engines around the world and running them to 8500rpmand still hanging in there so far,and don't think the round clips are safe i'll show you what happens to them next time you come down they have problems and they don't want ot fix the problem, just a side note in the article i wrote small bore project i mentioned the formula junior made by BMC the XSP motor made for john cooper this little motor would run to 9000rpm it's bore was 68mm and stroke was 3ins same as the 998 can be,this could be lots of fun, little screamers.
Graham Russell

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:55 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I love the 998. Always have, like a rev. Was thinking of getting a set of these (below) for my next project until you now have these new pistons.

http://www.minimania.com/part/RE-A1118- ... newsletter

Last edited by TK on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:52 am 
848cc
848cc

GR wrote:
HI Mountainbrett
Graham Russell

Hey GR, if that project motor pops up on here before you finish my motor.. I am going to start crying ;) Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:14 pm 
848cc
848cc

So I read on here that 998 small bores are cheap. So here is a question. Would buying an engine then doing all the work out of the car while still having a running car be a good idea?

I dont know heaps about them but keen to learn, thought maybe that could be a good way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:55 pm 
Oh dear, worry, worry...

HI Scrimo
Do i have your motor? mmmmmm what motor was that, are you sure i have it was that the red one no the blue one, pink?
oh does'nt matter it will turn up one day, was'nt the supa bike motor was it? oh well back to the project.
Graham

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next