Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:06 am 
848cc
848cc

Further enquiries say there was a magic wand that fitted to the remote diff cover. It looks nothing like my early 850 diff cover and God knows where I'll find the parts but it looks like I'm still in the game. Maybe.

Anyone out there have the necessary parts? From what I can remember, everyone wanted the remote shifter in the early days so there must be a few of these still knocking around someone's shed?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:10 am 
848cc
848cc

It seems the parts are out there. One need only ask in the 'wanteds'. I now have the parts to make it work and so can forge ahead with the box. I even made myself another Ausmini inspired tool; the first motion shaft puller!

IMG_0111 by Uncle Flash, on Flickr

Stripping the gearbox apart was actually quite easy. I just followed the instructions in the Haynes book and it took no time at all. I've had synchro's apart before so I was on the lookout for things that go 'ping' and shoot across the workshop. I wrap a rag around them before pulling apart. Once everything was separated I could give it all a good inspection.

Surface rust was evident on all the gears but the oil had held the water out of the bearings and inner surfaces. A quick scrub with a wire brush showed that the rust was nothing to worry about.

IMG_0113 by Uncle Flash, on Flickr

The obvious worry here was the second gear as they can be near impossible to get hold of. Fortunately, it looks good but third has some pitting on about a third of the teeth. It's hard to see in the photo but third on the laygear also looks nasty. The synchro's look okay with minimal wear and the first motion shaft is great. Bearing surfaces are fine.

The layshaft needs replacing due to surface breakdown under one of the bearings. Likewise, the internal surface of the laygear mirrors this and will also need replacing.

As this is a 'refresh' rather than a rebuild and the engine will need extensive work, consideration must be given to cost. Luckily, parts that require replacing are not overly expensive and the end result should satisfy my requirements. So far it's layshaft, laygear, third gear and bearings. I could have gone C/R or S/C C/R but I feel standard ratios will suffice for the modest power the 1100 will produce.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:42 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Looks like Russell Engineering is heading down the small bore path again.
Might be worth having a look at the new Article they have posted.
http://russellengineering.com.au

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Don't throw the gearbox casing in the bin
I am sure some one will be happy to pay to take it away

1978 ex 1275 LS ("Wizard" Eaton Supercharged) :)
2015 HSV GenF GTS(occasional drive & tow car)
2019 MINI F55 Cooper S

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 3:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Back at last! All things Mini were put on hold while I concentrated on my Nepalese excursion and expanding my photographic options. These things cost many monies and less important hobbies had to be mothballed until later. It’s still going to be a toss-up between the Ducati engine and the 1100 build but the mini has its nose in front as it’s already on the bench at work.

To update:

The gearbox has been totally stripped and will probably end up being the most expensive part of this exercise. Most of the important parts will need replacing but the car won't go without it. The weird-arse 3.647 final drive ratio will probably be left in as I don't want to buy another but it will give me slightly longer legs on the open road. Good for at least anther 3 metres per litre, hmm?

We stripped the block, even resorting to the big press to remove the rusted-in piston. This block is standard but will probably require 40-60 thou just to clean out the rusty no.4 bore. If anyone knows a machining business in WA that is mini block friendly, please let me know.

The 12G202 head looks like it should scrub up okay but I wouldn't mind converting to ULP. I think RE should be able to do something like this.

Anyhow, great to be back and no, I wasn't in prison.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:29 am 
848cc
848cc

I've had Applied Automotive in Maddington do a couple of block for me. Awesome group of guys who stand by all the work they do.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:15 pm 
848cc
848cc

Sweet. I'll get on the blower to them on Monday. One of the lads at work reckons we might be able to get away with minimal boring which would suit me fine. Is it an expensive exercise? Do they handle the cleaning of the block as well?

I'm still undecided about warming the engine over much as I've become accustomed to the awesome power of the 850. The extra torque of the 1100 will come in handy in the hills and if I get the gearing right, the ability to cruise at 100kph would be handy. Decisions, decisions. I do like the look of the small bore projects happening here. A racy 1100 would be fun and I don't get a lot of that at my age.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

Well... The cold, hard light of day has revealed all sorts of ugly. After hours, in the dark workshop the internals looked good but all sorts of problems revealed themselves when we examined the parts under a proper light.

The list went, "No, no, no, nope, no, Hahaha, God no, no, no etc." Not a bearing surface that wasn't pitted somewhere and quite literally no usable parts except the casing itself. And the selectors. If I put everything back in, do you reckon someone would sell me an exchange gearbox?

I guess at least I have a good case I can use at a later date.

On the upside, the 202 head looks good so far.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:48 pm 
998cc
998cc

Any updates ? [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous - 1978 Leyland LS 1275 Gold
- 1969 Mini K

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:32 am 
848cc
848cc

God, I wish. The house renovations, other projects, and work forced this to the back of the queue.

I ended up throwing the 1100 bits into a crate and buying a complete engine/gearbox from a later mini. Apparently, it used to run before it was dropped out in favour of a larger unit. We'll see one day, I guess? For the last couple of years the car has just sat on the driveway, rusting. Maybe I'll just give up on it and use the space to fix my motorbikes?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:39 am 
848cc
848cc

And he's back.

The spare 1100 (that was a runner, apparently) is still sitting in the shed and the mini doors are rusting away on the driveway. The kitchen still isn't finished, the roof needs re-pointing, and the floors need to be done...

Fortunately, it looks like Timmy201 has done a pretty good write up of his project so I'm not feeling at all guilty about letting this one die although I would like to ask one more question: The spare engine/gearbox has lost its engine ID. The plate is missing but beneath where it used to live are the numbers 1010/2018. With the 22G1832 rod gearbox, I'm guessing this is a 1100 from a mid 70's Clubman?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:30 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Flash wrote:
1010/2018. With the 22G1832 rod gearbox, I'm guessing this is a 1100 from a mid 70's Clubman?

Yes its probably from a 74 Leyland Mini.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:54 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:21 am 
Yay For Hay!

Flash wrote:
The plate is missing but beneath where it used to live are the numbers 1010/2018.

the plates were never fitted - any engines that came from UK had the plate taken off at the factory and the number restamped on the block, so the number there is correct

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:20 pm 
848cc
848cc

Knowing my luck, it's the use-by date.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next