Ausmini
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:37 pm 
848cc
848cc

What is the best way to refit my new Idler Gear bearings into the Case and Housing?

Any tips or tricks that can be passed on before I make a mess of this.....
Any specific depths etc I need to be aware of.

And also some help on refitting the 1st Motion Outrigger Bearing back onto the input shaft (shaft resting for photo), plus the associated Outer Bearing Race back into the above Transfer Housing?

Cheers, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:01 pm 
998cc
998cc

Best tip is Don't try to hit them in with a drift and a hammer.
Make up a couple of mandrels to suit each bearing and carefully push them into the housings with a very light arbour press by hand. Use a little oil too. Make sure they are lined up accurately and square before applying any pressure, avoid using a hydraulic press they take all the "Feel" out of it....
Refit circlip with its rounded edges against the bearing.
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Dave
I don't personally have the required Lathe to make some mandrels or even an Arbour Press to press them in. Would be good though :D

What I was more hoping for was some simple 'Backyard Mechanic' tips to install both Idler Bearings and the Outrigger Bearing.

What I found Googling the last couple of days to install the Idlers is to possibly.... (And by all means I do not endorse these below until tried or proven otherwise by someone here)
* Slightly heat alloy housing & box to expand (Oven, Blow Torch? 10min?)
* Freeze bearings for a few hours to contract
* Oil for lube?
* Locktite to stop wandering?
* Transfer - Rubber mallet with a chock of wood under transfer for support
* Case - Drag it back in just like taking it out?
* I still don't know what depth for either bearings!

Can someone put truth to the rumour if these are workable?

As for the 1st Motion Outrigger have not found much info besides,
* Slightly heat Transfer alloy to expand (Oven, Blow Torch?)
* Freeze race for a few hours to contract
* Race - Tap in as far as possible, use old race to tap home till stop? or till circlip fits?
* Bearing - Still not sure how to press on the 1st Motion Bearing?

Any help from those in the know would be super helpful at this stage.

Thanks all for looking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:36 pm 
998cc
998cc

Im no expert, but Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong so:

Drive both the bearings all the way home, these aren't critical. The idler shims will space everything out.
In fact I believe the early idlers only ran in half the bearing anyway.

Dont bother trying to heat or cool, At best you might get a thou or 2. i.e. bugger all. at worst you damage the case.

The outrigger is hardened so you could, very carefully, use a drift or near size socket to drive it home. Go very slowly and make sure its square. use your smallest hammer.

The idler is tricky as you risk bending the cage. Ive had luck with a bit of plate across 2 bolts or studs through the housing and carefully tighten it home. I made up a mandrel but anything of the right diamater should work. Image

Last edited by kirby on Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:58 am 
998cc
998cc

MiniKado wrote:
Thanks Dave
I don't personally have the required Lathe to make some mandrels or even an Arbour Press to press them in. Would be good though :D

What I was more hoping for was some simple 'Backyard Mechanic' tips to install both Idler Bearings and the Outrigger Bearing.

What I found Googling the last couple of days to install the Idlers is to possibly.... (And by all means I do not endorse these below until tried or proven otherwise by someone here)
* Oil for lube?

* Race - Tap in as far as possible, use old race to tap home till stop? or till circlip fits?

Thanks all for looking

Ok, I understand that you don't have the equipment to do what I suggest.
Of course there are other options, the important thing is to know what is required when fitting these bearings.
You have to fit them in a way as to,
1 Not damage the bearings or housing as you fit them.
2 Ensure they are square to the bore as they are going in.
3 Ensure they are fully home in the housing.

Aluminium has a huge coefficient of expansion, this method will work. Don't heat with a flame, heat in the oven keeping heat no higher than 180 degrees. At this temp the bearings will literally fall into the housing.
Bearing must be kept square as it goes in or will jam in the bore, case will cool and you will be in trouble.

Freezing a bearing in a conventional freezer is a fruitless exercise.
To contract a bearing by freezing it must be put in liquid Nitrogen.

* Oil for lube?

Use Oil to aid installation when fitting cold for sure.

If locktite is required in this application the housing is not serviceable.

Softer than Bearing materials are always handy, Depending on How they are Used.

Yes, I normally Draw the bearing into the Gearbox case with a Longish piece of threaded rod with a couple of flanges and nuts.

Idler bearing in clutch housing needs to be fitted below thrust face, I normally fit it level with the
chamfer in the bore. there is no support for the bearing above the chamfer line.

Outrigger bearing needs to be as far in as it can go otherwise Circlip will not fit.

This bearing is not very tight on the shaft.
Only push on or tap on the centre section of the bearing.
Use a short length of suitable size steel tube, Exhaust tube perhaps, over the end first motion shaft
to bump the bearing into place.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:50 pm 
848cc
848cc

kirby wrote:
Im no expert, but Im sure someone will correct me if Im wrong so:

Drive both the bearings all the way home, these aren't critical. The idler shims will space everything out.
In fact I believe the early idlers only ran in half the bearing anyway.

Dont bother trying to heat or cool, At best you might get a thou or 2. i.e. bugger all. at worst you damage the case.

The outrigger is hardened so you could, very carefully, use a drift or near size socket to drive it home. Go very slowly and make sure its square. use your smallest hammer.

The idler is tricky as you risk bending the cage. Ive had luck with a bit of plate across 2 bolts or studs through the housing and carefully tighten it home. I made up a mandrel but anything of the right diamater should work.

Great tips, gives me greater confidence reading this stuff.
Probably being a bit over cautious, but anyway!

Thanks,
your image didn't work for me. Any chance of reposting this?
sitnlo62 wrote:
MiniKado wrote:
Thanks Dave

* Oil for lube?

Thanks all for looking

Ok, I understand that you don't have the equipment to do what I suggest.
Of course there are other options, the important thing is to know what is required when fitting these bearings.
You have to fit them in a way as to,
1 Not damage the bearings or housing as you fit them.
2 Ensure they are square to the bore as they are going in.
3 Ensure they are fully home in the housing.

Aluminium has a huge coefficient of expansion, this method will work. Don't heat with a flame, heat in the oven keeping heat no higher than 180 degrees. At this temp the bearings will literally fall into the housing.
Bearing must be kept square as it goes in or will jam in the bore, case will cool and you will be in trouble.

Freezing a bearing in a conventional freezer is a fruitless exercise.
To contract a bearing by freezing it must be put in liquid Nitrogen.

* Oil for lube?

Use Oil to aid installation when fitting cold for sure.

If locktite is required in this application the housing is not serviceable.

Softer than Bearing materials are always handy, Depending on How they are Used.

Yes, I normally Draw the bearing into the Gearbox case with a Longish piece of threaded rod with a couple of flanges and nuts.

Idler bearing in clutch housing needs to be fitted below thrust face, I normally fit it level with the
chamfer in the bore. there is no support for the bearing above the chamfer line.

Outrigger bearing needs to be as far in as it can go otherwise Circlip will not fit.

This bearing is not very tight on the shaft.
Only push on or tap on the centre section of the bearing.
Use a short length of suitable size steel tube, Exhaust tube perhaps, over the end first motion shaft
to bump the bearing into place.

Thanks for your reply, great advice and it actually all makes perfect sense.
Cant wait to get back into the shed this weekend!

Great resource this...
Thanks all for their help

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:22 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

FYI, for many years I have been putting these bearings into the freezer for a few hours prior to fitting. It does make a difference. I also do the same with the collar in the 4 speed synchro gearbox.
It some times makes the difference between an easy fit or using a BFH

1978 ex 1275 LS ("Wizard" Eaton Supercharged) :)
2015 HSV GenF GTS(occasional drive & tow car)
2019 MINI F55 Cooper S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:38 am 
Bimmer Twinky

Using a suitable sized socket (half inch drive or 3/8 drive) & hammer , you will be able to tap against the outrigger`s inner race nicely & it will slide on neat & tidy onto the first motion shaft,,, tap until it`s all the way home, fit c-clip & Bob`s your aunty.

same with the outriggers Outer race into the primary case,,, keeping things true as they slide in isn`t that difficult, a good eye & a good feel & you`ll be fine... again fit the circlip & away you go.

the idler bearings can be pushed in with methods as above but can also be done using an old idler gear as a drift to get it in & flush ,,, & then use another suitable sized socket to belt it in that bit more,,, i`m not a fan of this method but it works if you take some care & don`t use a socket too small... too small a socket & you can damage/distort the bearing`s outer case.

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
Using a suitable sized socket (half inch drive or 3/8 drive) & hammer , you will be able to tap against the outrigger`s inner race nicely & it will slide on neat & tidy onto the first motion shaft,,, tap until it`s all the way home, fit c-clip & Bob`s your aunty.

same with the outriggers Outer race into the primary case,,, keeping things true as they slide in isn`t that difficult, a good eye & a good feel & you`ll be fine... again fit the circlip & away you go.

the idler bearings can be pushed in with methods as above but can also be done using an old idler gear as a drift to get it in & flush ,,, & then use another suitable sized socket to belt it in that bit more,,, i`m not a fan of this method but it works if you take some care & don`t use a socket too small... too small a socket & you can damage/distort the bearing`s outer case.

Thanks Matt

For just a moment I thought I was the only person to fit bearings with the appropriate sockets and a measured use of a hammer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

michaelb wrote:
FYI, for many years I have been putting these bearings into the freezer for a few hours prior to fitting. It does make a difference. I also do the same with the collar in the 4 speed synchro gearbox.
It some times makes the difference between an easy fit or using a BFH

Thanks michaelb, I think your right any little bit will always help. Cheers.
TheMiniMan wrote:

Yeah thanks Matt, I haven't had a good chance to attack this yet, so with your tips and all the other advice I think I should have no excuses in getting it done right!
Good on ya :)