Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Oil Flush
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

I am recommissioning my A+ 1275 after a 7 year hibernation. I know that's shocking and my only excuse is that I have been driving my 911. It was fully serviced and driven to the 50th anniversary at Wakefield Park before being put away. So all new fluids etc to be done, amazingly the battery still has some charge! So to my question. I have bought some Penrite Engine Oil flush. Should I use this in the warmed up old oil, given the structure of the mini engine and gearbox?
Cheers
Paul M

Post subject: Re: Oil Flush
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:44 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Dunno what part of the world you live in...but

Make sure you have no weeping wheel cylinders or callipers FIRST..and check shoes for fluid...tweak the brakes...

Then

Dump the "old" oil and replace with fresh...and a new filter...

Gradually, tentatively, start doing longer and longer runs...short runs are bad!

Leave the Penrite on the shelf...it will look like you care and really know about engines :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks mate. I live in Lakes Entrance in Victoria. Yes will pull the wheels off, fit new tyres and check out the brakes. Have the new oil and filter ready to go in and will need a roadworthy before going for a Club Permit rego. Got a laugh about leaving it on the shelf too.
Has anyone used this stuff as I'm not too sure about its effect on the gearbox.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:33 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Lakes Entrance? Fit water wings to the Mini as well :idea:

I would be reluctant to use something untested/unproven in a gearbox and engine combination.

"Oil is the best mechanic" as they say...just use good quality mineral oil like Kmart KMX 20W50 say...and change after the first 500-1000 Kms if the car hasn't been used for some time...

[PS wait for the synth-people to comment :roll: ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks again, I don't go anywhere near synthetic oils in either the mini nor the 911 but stick to the oils used in the period of the engines.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:30 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I've used castrol engine flush lots of time in mini's. It says to warm engine, put flush in and just run engine at 1,000 - 1,500 rpm for 10 minutes. No driving so it would have no effect on gear train other than cleaning and i've seen some really nasty crud come out them.
Only car i've had that it may have contributed to an engine death was a 1257LS that had super low k's, lest than 50,000, but had never been on a trip further than 40 k's. I flushed it thinking it might fix the wispy smoke.......it fixed the wispy smoke, turning it into a Jame Bond smoke screen.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:34 am 
1360cc
1360cc

peterb wrote:
I've used castrol engine flush lots of time in mini's. It says to warm engine, put flush in and just run engine at 1,000 - 1,500 rpm for 10 minutes. No driving so it would have no effect on gear train other than cleaning and i've seen some really nasty crud come out them.
Only car i've had that it may have contributed to an engine death was a 1257LS that had super low k's, lest than 50,000, but had never been on a trip further than 40 k's. I flushed it thinking it might fix the wispy smoke.......it fixed the wispy smoke, turning it into a Jame Bond smoke screen.

The problem is (as I see it), once you start peeling off gunk and stirring up bits of metal and other debris (that was trapped in the gunk) and suspending it all in the oil...you only have a tiny orifice in the gearbox casing to "flush" all that crap out.

So...maybe use Castrol engine flush, add new oil and filter, drive it then even do another oil change if you are noticing suspended chunky bits etc etc

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:17 pm 
Yay For Hay!

yeah, using detergents and other cleaning oils is generally a bad idea on an old engine, it cleans off the stuff that was sealing it...

I'd just change the oil, put some oil down the plug holes to make sure there is lube in the top of the rings and then run it. If it was a good engine before it went in, then it'll be fine now. Old oil can corrode the bearings, but they'll only fall to bits after it's run for a while, not on first startup or pottering around

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:54 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

simon k wrote:
I'd just change the oil, put some oil down the plug holes to make sure there is lube in the top of the rings and then run it.

Another good idea is to put it in top gear and gently rock the car back and forth with the plugs out and a small amount of light oil down the plug holes as Simon said above :idea:

Once it is obviously turning over freely, then do the oil change routine...