Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:47 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:01 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I'm after some thoughts on adjustable suspension components.

Any recommended products/suppliers? Adjustable vs fixed front lower arms? Which style/supplier for rear camber adjuster?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:57 pm 
Give Ash some flowers Nick .

I went with a full minispares kit - fully adjustable lower arms. The only thing that seems a bit flimsy to me was the rear camber brackets. I haven't had any problems with them and was able to set them up fine so it is just my opinion on how they felt when I got them out of the pack.

With the lower arms, if your subframe isn't square, you can adjust the arms to give you the same camber side to side whereas you are locked in if you get the fixed arms.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:51 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I've never liked the look of most of the rear brackets. Witnessed a broken 'traditional' adjustable one break at Hay this year.

How much camber do I want on the back anyway?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:36 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Sorry, let me reword my question.

I prefer the idea of the fixed rear brackets. Minispares do a bracket that will add an extra 1.5deg of neg camber. I presume the rears should be at zero camber, so is the 1.5deg of extra camber ideal?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:11 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The road settings i use are 1deg neg on the front and 0.5deg neg on the rear with A008 tyres.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:34 pm 
848cc
848cc

I bought the minisport rear adjustable brackets, the cars a long way from being on the road so can't comment on performance but just from fitting them up I wasn't impressed. Firstly a spacer needs to be made between the bracket and the arm while this isn't a major hassle for me I wouldn't have thought it would have to be done. Secondly because of this gap and the adjusting plate the nut only goes on half way with the way the adjustment is made it seems the plate would be able to slide backwards and forwards if the nut came loose affecting the geometry. I've ended up putting the standard brackets back on for now until I work out what I'm going to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:02 pm 
Yay For Hay!

Skell1275 wrote:
I bought the minisport rear adjustable brackets, the cars a long way from being on the road so can't comment on performance but just from fitting them up I wasn't impressed. Firstly a spacer needs to be made between the bracket and the arm while this isn't a major hassle for me I wouldn't have thought it would have to be done. Secondly because of this gap and the adjusting plate the nut only goes on half way with the way the adjustment is made it seems the plate would be able to slide backwards and forwards if the nut came loose affecting the geometry. I've ended up putting the standard brackets back on for now until I work out what I'm going to do.

these ones??

https://www.minisport.com/mslms0510-ful ... -pair.html

I've had them on my car for years and years, never had any of the issues you describe, I reckon you have something else going on

poeee wrote:
Witnessed a broken 'traditional' adjustable one break at Hay this year.

more info?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:07 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

simon k wrote:
poeee wrote:
Witnessed a broken 'traditional' adjustable one break at Hay this year.

more info?

Dean's Moke. They noticed it during the parade and he was fixing it during the show and shine before scrutiny. Obviously the car went on to almost win the event. Not sure if they repaired or replaced the brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:26 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Just put a full minispares kit on my car- heres my thoughts:
1. Lower adjustable arms are wound all the way in and i still have heaps of negative camber so i might need to swap out the supplied lock nut for a smaller one.
2. Front tie bars would be nicer if there were flat spots machined onto the bars to assist with setup.
3 Rear camber / castor brackets were crap for quality- theres a couple of raw welds on the inside face that goes up against the thrust washer of the trailing arm and these welds stop the bracket fitting. After i ground them flat again the brackets went a bit closer to fitting but found the holes didnt line up very well to the subframe mounting bolts. The tag welded onto the bottom of it was in a different place left to right side of car too- for example i can remove the trunnion bolts on one side but not thr other.
The 1/4" adjustment screw for the camber adjustment is poor too- other units ive had have bigger zinc plated threads.

I also have fitted front coil overs- well tried: ill be making new fitting brackets at the supplied ones seem rather unsafe from their construction and snag occasionly too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

simon k wrote:
Skell1275 wrote:

these ones??

https://www.minisport.com/mslms0510-ful ... -pair.html

I've had them on my car for years and years, never had any of the issues you describe, I reckon you have something else going on

They're the ones, the bushes and arms are all new but there seems to be about a 4 mm gap between the arm and the bracket, the main concern is the nut not going on a full thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:49 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I had one break last year. It snapped through the washer that sits under trailing arm nut.
The bracket had been drilled / flogged out and was able to move around whilst driving.

I swapped them out for the newer design with vertical grooves under the washer.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:08 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I installed some minispares adjustable lower arms and tie bars today. I also brought the ride height up 2-3cm all round (as the new cones have settled in) which makes the camber more positive. The ride height is pretty high (probably close to standard height)

On my car there was no problem with additional negative camber like Harley's set. The tie bars minispares sell now have a flat hex section halfway along to adjust the length easier.
http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... 0to%20shop

I need some longer tie rod ends to correct the massive toe out now the lower arms are longer...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:07 pm 
religious status
religious status

Once done, the rears don't really need to be adjustable.
I milled the hole in the fixed brackets upwards to get 1 deg negative camber, then welded the original (bottom) side of the hole and filed the weld until the shaft fitted neat.
Some of those aftermarket brackets are damned flimsy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:24 am 
998cc
998cc

I used the drawings in Clive Tricky's book to elongate the holes in the standard brackets. And got my ideal ride height by cutting down the trumpets and adding spacer washers. Ok it's not adjustable but how many times do you really need to change the rear camber or wind your suspension up or down on a road car? And it cost nothing.

1978 Rover SD1 V8 (4.6)
1996 Land Rover Discovery V8 (4.0)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:37 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Thanks everyone for confirming my fears about the rear brackets.

For the front bottom arms...

This style (minispares)?

Or this style (minisport)?