Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:12 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

oldblade wrote:
also a couple of other little items today

- seat brackets
- stuck my head under the dash and found the mounting holes for the police radio just like the one at shannons

I am just curious the fact that the possibility i am driving an ex cop car kind of disturbs me as it tells me its been abused since the day it was first registered

As Doug said I wouldn't be worried about 3 months of police work. Its the 40 years of bodgy backyard mechanics you need to worry about.

The Youtube video you posted at 5.04 shows the passenger seat frame change in diameter and the welds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPGQh49 ... e=youtu.be

Here is a close up of how they look.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

winabbey wrote:
oldblade wrote:
I am just curious the fact that the possibility i am driving an ex cop car kind of disturbs me as it tells me its been abused since the day it was first registered

I thought that also when I discovered my car was ex-NSW Police (see this thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=83696). But I now know they were well looked after by those who drove them. They were sold at auction after 30,000 miles so were usually only a couple of months old. If the body is straight on your car then any other wear and tear on suspension, steering, engine and transmission is easily fixed by replacement parts. Use by Police is not an issue. It's subsequent owners I'd be more concerned with.

The only signs that your car saw NSW Police service would be the holes for the mesh sunscreen, possibly holes for the steel sump guard, possibly reversing lights and almost certainly two holes in the front edge of the front parcel shelf rail on the passenger side where the Police ID plate was fixed. Also holes in the flitch panel under the power brake booster where a siren may have been located.

All Mark 1 and most Mark 2 Cooper S's used by Police were stock standard showroom models from a mechanical viewpoint. It wasn't until September 1970 that the modified engine with 1 1/2" SU's, rally camshaft, etc. was introduced. Two-way radios (AWA 25M) weren't fitted until late 1970 so those holes are probably from a standard radio fitted by a previous owner. Seat brackets were also standard.

If you can show it came with the current paint then I doubt it's ex NSW Police as all their cars were monotone (i.e. roof same colour as body) to my knowledge. This was done intentionally so they looked like a normal Mini to the motoring public.

If you want to chat further feel free to drop me a PM and I'll give you my mobile number. Between us we should be able to determine if it's ex-NSW Police or not.

Thank you I'll drop it or it will drive me nuts. colour wise it was all one colour the previous owner painted the roof white.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:29 pm 
848cc
848cc

It's a 68 according to the rego papers

Guessing it should be lighter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:33 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

oldblade wrote:
It's a 68 according to the rego papers

It had already been uploaded onto the register and it says it was sold in Feb 69. viewtopic.php?f=44&t=90843
I believe that a lot of the early 69 cars were actually built in late 68. Check the dates on your lucas parts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:38 pm 
848cc
848cc

well good news as of a couple of weeks its going to have creamy beige interior :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:55 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

oldblade wrote:
9YaTaH wrote:
Welcome oldblade...

Your blog showed enough gunk in the cooling system for me to be concerned about your engine block as well...change or flush out the radiator by all means...but maybe the car hasn't been run all that much in that past few years...a good hot flush may be in order (if there is such a thing!! :-)

Thanks mate I ended up replacing the water pump, the Bypass hose with a solid one, The radiator, Thermostat and Housing and gave everything a good flush

You are definitely on the right track 8)

If it were me I would be getting some good long runs under its belt to confirm it is running at the correct temp then flushing the coolant system once again to remove any further crud you might dislodge... :idea:

and all the while, enjoying the heck out of it :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:04 pm 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:
oldblade wrote:
9YaTaH wrote:
Welcome oldblade...

Your blog showed enough gunk in the cooling system for me to be concerned about your engine block as well...change or flush out the radiator by all means...but maybe the car hasn't been run all that much in that past few years...a good hot flush may be in order (if there is such a thing!! :-)

Thanks mate I ended up replacing the water pump, the Bypass hose with a solid one, The radiator, Thermostat and Housing and gave everything a good flush

You are definitely on the right track 8)

If it were me I would be getting some good long runs under its belt to confirm it is running at the correct temp then flushing the coolant system once again to remove any further crud you might dislodge... :idea:

and all the while, enjoying the heck out of it :D

Thanks i have been driving the wheels off the thing everyday to an from work everywhere on the weekend

No other car has ever given me so much joy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:50 am 
1360cc
1360cc

oldblade wrote:
No other car has ever given me so much joy.

Shhhhhhh! don't let the secret out :!: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:36 pm 
998cc
998cc

I know this car VERY well , it was mine back in the mid 80's, I rebuilt it restored it in about 1985 from a bare shell , it has dry suspension , I changed it , remember these cars were worth nothing in the mid 80's and I had only seen about 3 or 4 that had been restored , don't change the interior colour it is original , someone after me painted the roof , I thought this car had gone to Japan . The colour is squadron blue , the spray painter could not get Indigo blue so he thought he would paint it this colour could not believe it when I went to pick it up. I still have the receipts for the rebuild , unbelievable , how exciting to see it again hope to see it in the flesh soon .

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:20 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

AWOODY. Must be like seing an old girlfriend again. Do you know the history before you had it and the police heritage?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

AWOODY wrote:
I know this car VERY well , it was mine back in the mid 80's, I rebuilt it restored it in about 1985 from a bare shell , it has dry suspension , I changed it , remember these cars were worth nothing in the mid 80's and I had only seen about 3 or 4 that had been restored , don't change the interior colour it is original , someone after me painted the roof , I thought this car had gone to Japan . The colour is squadron blue , the spray painter could not get Indigo blue so he thought he would paint it this colour could not believe it when I went to pick it up. I still have the receipts for the rebuild , unbelievable , how exciting to see it again hope to see it in the flesh soon .

Wow that is awesome!!!!

Love the car we should chat i have so many questions

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:01 pm 
998cc
998cc

Yes I thought the car had been lost but it still looks good , I bought the car from Horseless Carriages on Parramatta Rd opposite John Thompsons in Burwood $2850 (going to have to dig those receipts out to find the date). Oldblade only too happy to speak with you about the car anytime as I said bare shell all the paint stripped off by hand etc etc was finished and registered 2 days before Minifest 1 at Liverpool. I had a feeling that it may have been my car as you will see by the questions I have been asking along the way , a good straight genuine car can't remember anything about it being ex police.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

Wow wish I paid $2850.00

I could telling it was a nice straight car though it has had an accident since you owned it on the passenger side.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:39 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

AWOODY wrote:
registered 2 days before Minifest 1 at Liverpool.

Sorry to hijack the fred...but where was Minifest 1 held in L'pool? Bigge Park? Westfields? The Swimming Pool area? or closer to Warwick Farm? :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:28 pm 
Yay For Hay!

AWOODY wrote:

very cool :D

I bet it was the cat that really gave it away...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next