Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:58 pm 
998cc
998cc

While doing the front subframe rebuild it crossed my mind that the top arm needle bearing is a bit of an oddity. I'm not a fan of these bearings as they need regular lubrication (make a damn mess of the area around the pivot) and since they're loaded in basically the same position for most of their lives over half the bearing surface of the pin is never used, leading to shagged pins.

I've seen dry arms with poly bushes but not hydro, anyone converted a pair and if so how was the ride?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:33 pm 
religious status
religious status

I've seen poly used in bottom arms but not in top. IMO the load there will shag the poly quick smart.
I got 1000km recently from new poly bushes in a steady bar, they crumbled to bits. Not impressed, I will never use poly in a road car again. Anywhere.

re these top arm needle bearings, there are 2 types. Caged and uncaged. For a static load, which this really is, you want UNcaged, which were original fitment.
They have approx 2x the load rating of the caged ones as there are twice as many rollers.
Hint: turn the shaft over and re-use it. The material and hardness of most aftermarket shafts is rubbish.