Ausmini
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Starting a rebuilt motor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi, I've had my 998 rebuilt and hubby and I will put it back into the car, are there any tips or tricks we should be aware of when starting a rebuilt motor?

Cheers

1976 Mini SS
1971 Mini Ute (Custom) - really hubby's but I will claim half :)
1976 Mini SS Shell
Oh and an 850 shell waiting for our dear son to start his resto!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:32 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Leave the plugs OUT until you are sure it has Oil Pressure when cranked...

Don't use a really heavy oil...initially

Follow any running in instructions...I assume that the rebuilders would have run in the cam...

If driving it on the road, try and avoid constant speed running...

Watch the temp gauge for any signs of overheating...it is normal for a rebuilt engine to be a little tight and therefore overheat slightly...

Change oil as recommended or at least a couple of times in the first 1000 miles

ohhhh,

and have FUN! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:12 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Talk to your engine builder , they will advise you on what you need to do , if you built it yourself , make sure you have clean fuel and carby is in good running order , and more importantly make sure you have your timing correct , the last thing you need for a new engine is for it to start popping and banging and cutting out because something isn't right , first initial startup on a new engine is probably the most critical ,check & double check these items .

As for oil , in the past i have used cheap 20W / 50 oil from supermarkets , ( not Friction Modified ) , i've not used any type of running in oil as such , but that's another option , as Mick said change it a few times in the first 1000 K's , to prime the oil pump, you can remove the pipe from the block to the oil filter, and with an oil can , squirt oil directly into the pump ,and with the car in gear , rock the car backwards to prime the pump , do this a couple of times until it's full .

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:40 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I have started a few fresh motors and found for the first 5 minutes they usually get very hot, extractors glow red. I shut down at this point and let it cool down before starting again then all good.
And yes the timing was correct and I changed nothing after starting initially and then the 2nd start. So yes check the valve clearances, check the static timing, check for fresh fuel, turn over with no plugs until you have oil pressure, shouldn't be more than about 15 to 20 seconds, then put the plugs in and enjoy. for the first 20 minutes keep the revs up around 3000rpm to run the cam in It is an idea to check the timing with a light to confirm the static setting was correct, you may need to adjust slightly once running. Good luck!

1978 ex 1275 LS ("Wizard" Eaton Supercharged) :)
2015 HSV GenF GTS(occasional drive & tow car)
2019 MINI F55 Cooper S

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:00 am 
998cc
998cc

On start up you need a period at elevated idle (as has already been mentioned) to bed the cam in.

Then, based on my experience, you really need to make sure the rings are bedded in ... Run the engine under load (but not lugging) at lower/mid range revs .... Find a nice hill and run up it a few times in third gear at, say 3K, revs. The bearings need a nice long run at varying speed, run it up through the revs and then back off.

The trick is not to baby it .. while not thrashing it.

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:24 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

One 'expert' says on initial start up, run the engine at a higher idle for twenty minutes to run in the cam (without driving), I disagree. I tried his method and ended up with an engine that had rings that didn't bed in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:40 pm 
Yay For Hay!

TK wrote:
One 'expert' says on initial start up, run the engine at a higher idle for twenty minutes to run in the cam (without driving), I disagree. I tried his method and ended up with an engine that had rings that didn't bed in.

yep, totally.... if it's a fresh motor, don't even consider "running in the cam"...

get it driving as soon as you can, lots of hills

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:26 pm 
998cc
998cc

As a rule at work we run the engines at 2000rpm for 20 minutes when running a cam in.
Havent had an issue with rings yet. I have been told people using different lubrication on the rings when assembling have varied rusults. Touch wood all have been fine so far for me.

1966 Morris Mini Van
1969 Morris Mini Deluxe Resto
5/72 Clubman Gt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:00 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I only use oil on the rings, nothing special.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:15 am 
religious status
religious status

simon k wrote:
TK wrote:

yep, totally.... if it's a fresh motor, don't even consider "running in the cam"...

get it driving as soon as you can, lots of hills

I agree. Idling at high revs for 20 mins is a recipe for glazed rings. Go drive it ASAP after starting, as Simon says.

Edit
and use WD 40 on the pistons and rings, not motor oil. Faster bed in.

Last edited by drmini in aust on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:27 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I certainly went back to my usual way of running in a rebuilt engine. Bloody experts!!!