Ausmini
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: IDF44 Conversion?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:50 am 
998cc
998cc

Almost completed a refresh on my 1360 Mini Van engine with new GR RE13 cam, big valve head and Maniflow2 exhaust. I have been using a HIF44 Metro carb on a Howley inlet manifold until now but was thinking of trying one of GR’s IDF 44 Weber conversions instead.
Has anyone done this and got it to work well on a big motor?  Is it relatively easy to set up with a selection of jets (unlike a Weber 28/36 downdraft conversion which is not easy to get to work on the A Series). Has anyone managed to find an air filter that allows the bonnet to close on the taller 1275 block? And how does it go for driveability in traffic as opposed to a 45 sidedraft Weber or SU?

1978 Rover SD1 V8 (4.6)
1996 Land Rover Discovery V8 (4.0)

Post subject: Re: IDF44 Conversion?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:34 pm 
religious status
religious status

I helped set one up on a 1310 motor in a Deluxe. Even the mesh screens on the short trumpets don't clear. So we ran without the mesh.
All jets are accessible without pulling the float bowl lid off.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:36 pm 
998cc
998cc

You really need an aircleaner for a road car. Could always do a Vizard and have it poking up out the back of the bonnet. What are the legalities around doing this? Is it an absolute no no nowadays, or can you add a bulge or reverse opening scoop (bit like adding a bulge at the front of a round nose to accommodate a cross flow head, but at the other end).

1978 Rover SD1 V8 (4.6)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:17 pm 
religious status
religious status

The one I was involved with was going onto historic plates. As the owner wanted a filter but no bonnet holes, he has since removed it. His Plan B is to fit a Dellorto 45 sidedraft, and a filter.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:45 am 
998cc
998cc

slide wrote:
........ Could always do a Vizard and have it poking up out the back of the bonnet. What are the legalities around doing this? Is it an absolute no no nowadays, or can you add a bulge or reverse opening scoop (bit like adding a bulge at the front of a round nose to accommodate a cross flow head, but at the other end).

The only people who can really answer this question are you rego authorities... However, before asking, I would get quite familiar with the relevant regulations....

I fitted an IDA at one stage and for that a hole is the only option. After some argument, my local RTA (as it was in those days) office was forced to admit that my set-up was legal.

They had two issues. The first being that the carb and its shroud must not obstruct the drivers forward vision. Luckily the rules have a specific test that a bonnet scoop must pass... which it did (because I started with a copy of the regs). Secondly, any protrusion from the bonnet must be an integral part of it. An air filter poking through won't pass (Ford shaker scoop anyone???) but a scoop bolted to the bonnet does meet the letter of the law..

My problem was that the K&N filter that came with the IDA was meant for a Chev and it was not easy (b&*^y impossible IMHO:) to design a reasonably aesthetic scoop to cover it. I got tired of helpful people reminding me I'd left my lunch box on the bonnet....

The IDA worked really well.. but not well enough so that eventually I got tired of looking at the ugly scoop and reverted to a pair of SUs.

Cheers, Ian

PS The IDA replaced a 45DCOE that I couldn't get a decent filter for.... Cutting an old bonnet seemed a lesser evil than chopping the firewall.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:39 am 
998cc
998cc

Interesting, thanks for sharing. At the end of the day it may not be worth it as I agree it would be difficult to fabricate a scoop for a Mini bonnet that was visually pleasing and did justice to the natural shape of the panel (come to think of it not many cross flow bulges look that good either, although a brace of quad ram tubes poking out of the front of the bonnet is a different matter!).

And then there's the potential hassels with the authorities and their ever tightening regulations about what you can and can't do. I'm already worried the four bonnet pins holding the f/g bonnet down will be an issue.

So a good idea for a race car, but maybe not so smart for the street. I'm more of a Weber man than SU myself (my S runs a 45 sidedraft). I suppose there's always the 32/36 DGEV which some people on the Miniforum.uk have got to run well (Mini Mania also sell them as a kit).

1978 Rover SD1 V8 (4.6)