Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: pertronix problem
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:36 pm 
848cc
848cc

ok guys !! someone has to be able to help me

today i installed a pertronix ignitor, and now i can not get my car to start. at all. 0 spark.

i followed the instructions perfectly, red wire to coil + black wire to coil - and the magnetic ring is in.

Only one thing in the instructions was a bit different, and that is that it says to connect the distributor ground strap to the threaded hole provided, however that threaded hole fits over a little lug on the base plate, so i connected the ground strap with the screw that mounts the ignitor (if you have one you'll know what i mean i hope)

i have a 45d4 with sliding points, and the appropriate ignitor. Everything else works fine. as soon as i switch back to points, car fires first turn of the key.

have tested power with multimeter and it is 12.2V ignition ON. could it be that when the starter cranks it lowers this to below a usable voltage for the unit ? surely there'd be at least some spark !?

what's the next step ? can i actually test the pertronix unit somehow ? is there any timing alterations i have to make ?

thanx in advance
Pete

edit: i have a no ballast resistor 3 ohm bosch coil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:04 am 
religious status
religious status

Hmmmm, sounds the same setup as mine except I have a 45D with `red' points and no vac. I left the ground flex off, as the top plate is bolted into the body.
I also run a Bosch 3 ohm coil.

Check the air gap between magnet ring and sensor. On an Alfa (same setup except sensor mounting detail) it's .020" (0.5mm) gap. :wink: