Ausmini
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 2:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Dr Mini, Have you read this one http://ausmini.tziworld.com/viewtopic.php?t=941. Tis 'bout a rear-engined Vtec mini on Ebay.

I'm currently in the process of deciding what motor to put in my mini. Given you are the holder of all knowledge I thought I might throw you a question. I have seen a few rear engined minis but haven't really payed too much attention to them as they have been A series motors (why go to the trouble and put a mini motor in it?).

Have you (or ne1 else) seen one/know of any? My concern is the driving characteristics changing dramatically. Would the car behave in a different manner given that there is now minimal ballast over the front wheels? I see in this one they have shifted the tank to the front, though probably the only place to put it rather than to try and re-distribute some weight. Another fear is the back of the car constantly trying to overtake the front.

Can you just remove the drive shafts and essentially retain the front subframe to house the discs and suspension (radiator, fuel tank, battery)? (Just as I was typing that I thought what a stupid place to put a battery, right beside a fuel tank. Only to remember my right-hand tank and battery position.)

My mini is not something that was ever intended to be a daily drive so I am just going to do something different. Got to have a hobby don't we.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:21 pm 
religious status
religious status

Contrary to popular? belief of some I am not the holder of all knowledge Mini.

My only experience of a rear engined Mini was helping a mate build a Twini Mini back in 1968. It almost made it onto the street but the fuzz took the car away. :oops:

I think yeah, that car in the link posted is a great example of what can be done given enough $$$. But the development would have cost big time.

Rear `Mini engined' Mini? Nah, fit something with bigger balls, if you're going to the trouble... Honda, supercharged Toyota twin cam, or whatever. Someone did a Moke a while back. Nice recipe for dragging. :wink:

Re the handling- I dunno. I'd say go drive a Beetle first, and see if you like it.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:01 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

More pics at http://racetec.net/vtecmini.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:43 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

not wanting to sound dumb, but would that engine also go up the front of a Mini..??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:21 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Has been put up the front by many - but they have to stretch the round nose by bot 90mm I believe. [can be made to "fit" in a standard clubbie engine bay without stretching]

From what I see, there appears to be more re-engineering going on in this one than the standard Vtec conversion. Ref http://www.16vminiclub.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 1:07 am 
1275cc
1275cc

can someone tell me what is the unit in the front of the mini?
the silver boxed thing with leads coming out of it.
ive also seen it on the v8 mini ute
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 10:35 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I thought it was the fuel tank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:25 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

IwannaMini wrote:
not wanting to sound dumb, but would that engine also go up the front of a Mini..??

Go to http://www.gomini.com/fs/vtec/vtec.htm. They will sell you a full kit to put it in.

Go on from what was previously said about the extension (90mm). This guy put that motor in one without the modifications. http://minimikebc.tripod.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:08 am 
1275cc
1275cc

drmini in aust wrote:
.....Someone did a Moke a while back. Nice recipe for dragging. :wink: ......

.....did someone say rear-drive-moke?? How about a Toyota 20Valve Turbo'd mid-engine moke???

"....build me a car that can can flip over...." 8)

Dunno about you guys but i reckon these Z-Cars (motorbike powered minis) are the way to go .... It'd be Ducatti power for me :wink: