Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:45 pm 
998cc
998cc

I want to get some ideas on how to deal with the vent/breather requirement for a tank vent with an EFI engine (SPI/MPI or other). I am fitting an EFI engine with an Rover EFI tank, and the tank has a venting port at the top of the tank but I have no charcoal canister with the engine. What is the recommended way to configure the venting line in the system?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:07 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Will you need to run the same emissions spec as the donor engine? And if you car is post ADR (which being a 78 it will be) you'll need to meet the car regs as well?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:10 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

If I remember correctly there's two little pot like things on the top, one I think it's a valve to stop the fuel running out if the car were upside down, I think the other is a tiny version of something like a carbon canister. I kept the valve and connected it's other port forward to the donor vehicles carbon canister, mine has passed an emissions test, which reportedly picks up things like that disconnected.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:50 am 
998cc
998cc

The VSB standards state that "any vehicle fitted with expansion/vapour spaces must continue to
provide these facilities" so it looks like I need a carbon canister but I need to know how to install them. Do carbon canisters always have 3 ports? Vent/tank feed, one to atmosphere and one to intake? Or are there canisters which have one inlet and one outlet only (ie one vent feed & one to atmo)?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:02 am 
1275cc
1275cc

They should be a sealed system - not going to atmosphere and with an appropriate tank cap. There's plenty to choose from on ebay and at the wreckers.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:45 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Just use the carbon canister from the donor, you know it's the right size and has the correct size hoses, mines in my passengers front wheel arch.
The Haynes had a diagram on how the emissions system worked, I just replicated that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:28 pm 
998cc
998cc

fuzzy-hair-man wrote:
Just use the carbon canister from the donor...

I did say in my first post that I have no charcoal canister with the engine but I'll try and find a canister for something around 1.3L, which should be suitable