Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: K1100 attempt
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hello,

First I want to thank jpodge for posting his adventure encouraging me, and others perhaps, to give this a try, and also helping me with some questions.

My mini is a roundnose 87 mayfair 998 from italy, which I bought last year and was restored by me (except the sandblasting)
Did not mess with the engine/gearbox much as it was in good order, replaced head with 12g295 with the big valve, faster cam, lighter flywheel, 123 dizzy, etc
The body was sandblasted and i had to replace both front wings, front panel, scuttle, bonnet, boot floor and lower section of the back, i went with the original small stoplights since i was doing so much welding, and added a sunroof because im tall :D
The car is fun to drive and pretty reliable

But i have to do something otherwise i get bored, this is when the K1100 conversion begins :D
The plan is to keep the 998 for this summer and install the conversion in the winter
So i bought a spi 1275 complete engine and gearbox from italy, a k1100 complete engine and gearbox from france, and some other bits of ebay from all across europe(I am from Romania)
Learned to weld aluminum, quite easy with the new welder.
I chose to go with SC conversion kit(front plates and pulleys), which just arrived, maniflow 2 inch headers, haltech elite 750, med damper with management pulley and sensor, waiting on some parts from minispares.
Just ordered the injectors and coils(thanks jpodge for the part numbers) and a "normal" throttle sensor like sprocket used on his build will see how it goes
http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?page= ... 2FSprocket

Other things i will be experimenting with: davies craig electric coolant pump, fiat cinquecento front mounted radiator
Not too sure with the fuel pressure regulator, aeromotive is quite pricey, but really not trusting other cheap stuff made in china, i have the rail with the pressure reg built in, think is from k1200 and will give it a go

Disclaimer:
I am not a mechanic, just a bloke in a garage with no adult supervision, i do not know what i am doing.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: K1100 attempt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:29 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hello again,

Bit of progress
I tapped the block and marked the new studs locations, the holes will be plugged after i get the block back from the machining shop, but now we have to wait for the pistons(+20) from minispares
Attachment:
IMG_1041.jpeg

The conversion kit from SC and the K1100 head all welded and tapped for oil drains
Attachment:
IMG_1036.jpeg

For the head i found a funny guy on youtube named Nick Thornhill that makes a lot of sense regarding the ways of draining the oil from the head, so i followed his videos and made some drain holes, will se how that goes
Attachment:
IMG_1037.jpeg

Attachment:
IMG_1039.jpeg

And now I am turning the lobes off of the camshaft to drive the oil pump, but my small lathe is not quite up for the job so i resorted to the grinder, the K1100 camshaft is of a much softer material because i had no problem turning down the fat portions that block a head stud.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: K1100 attempt
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

Great progress Catalin! Keep it up! Beautiful mini that you’ve got.