Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: RTS clutch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:20 am 
848cc
848cc

Gday

I am currently in the process of building a turbo charged A series. I have read and watched a number of rts builds just wondering if anyone here in Aus can build one for me?

cheers Jason

Post subject: Re: RTS clutch
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:46 pm 
Yay For Hay!

never heard of it - links?

google only finds "RTS Clutch" as a brand name

if you haven't already, look at turbominis.co.uk, there will be plenty of recommendations

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:50 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

It’s a verto clutch with two diaphragms. I’d think Matt Read at Readspeed would be your best bet at someone local who can knock one up for you

There’s a few threads on turbo minis.
http://www.turbominis.co.uk/forums/inde ... tid=437563

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:26 am 
Yay For Hay!

Very interesting, thanks Timmy - looks easy enough to put together

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:13 am 
998cc
998cc

Jason -
also on that site are plenty of disclaimers regarding 'do so at your own risk' -
not that there is anything wrong with the set up - just that the 'inventor' wants it to be stated very clearly - so there is no recourse if something bad happens.
In my opinion- it tends to be a clutch you build for yourself rather than build for others.

Simon what clutch set up did you run when you had your Supercharger? and approx what power did it produce - I am wondering how much above 140-150 (at engine not wheels) a well set up grey or double grey (if still available) diaphragm will handle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:17 am 
848cc
848cc

Gday thanks for the replies

Matt Read doesn't do them but has heard of them, he has some of his own modifications for the Twinky builds but these not readily available

Your right there is quite a few threads on uk forums, there are also a few guys in the uk building them for sale (simon mk1 turbo, SC components and HRE) and hence my question whether anyone had one built in Australia, i do know of one in a car. for those of you who follow classic mini DIY this is the same used in the turbo build. Reading threads on the turbo site they have clutch slippage with grey setup but they are 140 + at the wheels.

I have a list of components so i might keep the tread alive once the parts arrive to keep everyone informed

thanks everyone Jason

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:43 am 
Yay For Hay!

FNQ wrote:
Simon what clutch set up did you run when you had your Supercharger? and approx what power did it produce - I am wondering how much above 140-150 (at engine not wheels) a well set up grey or double grey (if still available) diaphragm will handle.

It had 100bhp at the wheels at about 5800 rpm - no idea about engine power - pretty sure I had a grey diaphragm and just a standard Cooper S type plate. It never slipped

I was actually testing the dyno rather than tuning my car, my guru had been offered it by the local tech high school who were replacing it - we set it up and I was making it work... it hadn't been used in a lot of years. The rollers were too far apart for the mini wheels so the back roller was scraping on the exhaust. I did a few tests with my mini, one being running it up till I couldn't stand the noise from the scraping anymore. The dyno showed torques and speed, I calculated back what the bhp and rpm was and got a bit of a surprise that the bhp was higher than I expected, and the rpm quite a lot lower

A clutch and flywheel is just a bolt-on - I'd set it up with something simple (grey or whatever) and see if you need to go bigger later. There are much bigger problems to solve before you get to clutch slip

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:38 am 
998cc
998cc

simon k wrote:
There are much bigger problems to solve before you get to clutch slip

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:25 pm 
848cc
848cc

simon k wrote:
FNQ wrote:

It had 100bhp at the wheels at about 5800 rpm - no idea about engine power - pretty sure I had a grey diaphragm and just a standard Cooper S type plate. It never slipped

I was actually testing the dyno rather than tuning my car, my guru had been offered it by the local tech high school who were replacing it - we set it up and I was making it work... it hadn't been used in a lot of years. The rollers were too far apart for the mini wheels so the back roller was scraping on the exhaust. I did a few tests with my mini, one being running it up till I couldn't stand the noise from the scraping anymore. The dyno showed torques and speed, I calculated back what the bhp and rpm was and got a bit of a surprise that the bhp was higher than I expected, and the rpm quite a lot lower

A clutch and flywheel is just a bolt-on - I'd set it up with something simple (grey or whatever) and see if you need to go bigger later. There are much bigger problems to solve before you get to clutch slip

Thanks Simon, My rationale is that id rather try to get it right the first time as i will balancing the crank and flywheel together... well that's the plan.