Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:54 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi all
Does anyone have photos of the mods required for this Shroud mod? The photos on the how to thread are gone.
many thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:49 am 
1360cc
1360cc

dubbomini wrote:
Hi all
Does anyone have photos of the mods required for this Shroud mod? The photos on the how to thread are gone.
many thanks

When you say gone, are there black Photobucket markers in their place? What did you search on to get the post?

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:26 pm 
848cc
848cc

Mate why do you want to do the shroud mod? Before you do, please read Matt Read's excellent post on the subject of radiator removals. I did earlier this year and his method has transformed my radiator removal and refitting! Basically, you undo the left hand engine mount at the subframe, then jack the engine up under the gearbox. Remove two more bolts from the lower radiator mount bracket to the gearbox engine mount bracket, undo the top radiator bracket, loosen both hoses at the thermostat housing and water pump and, then with a bit of jiggling, you simply lift the whole assembly out. I was sceptical but it works a treat. The only hard part for me has been undoing and then lining up the two lower radiator bracket bolts. But I'm getting better each time. I would recommend running a tap through the captive nut threads and adding some oil or grease to the bolt threads so they start easily.

Try Matt's way first - it is a great tip. Next time I do it I will try to remember to take a series of photos and post on the subject... Radiator has to come out again soon anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:15 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks. So the engine mount on the radiator side??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:29 am 
1275cc
1275cc

dubbomini wrote:
Thanks. So the engine mount on the radiator side??
Yes. The info is in the "how to" at the bottom of the post.
viewtopic.php?t=11224

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:13 am 
848cc
848cc

I agree with Matt's version. In addition I do a small modification to the rear vertical bolt on the engine bracket. Replace it with a pin (bolt size) in the engine bracket so the pin sits up proud of the bracket allowing the radiator bracket to sit over the top of the pin and when the front bolt is tightened all is stable. Make sure it is a good fit in the hole of the radiator bracket which will keep the rear part of the radiator bracket stable. This was a modification done on the Factory Rally Coopers in the 60's. This has never caused any problems with my rally Coopers over the years.