Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:00 pm 
848cc
848cc

Has anyone built a supercharged mini using a supercharger to pump pressurised air into a carburettor instead of pressurising the air fuel mix from the carburettor before it goes into the engine?

I was very keen on supercharging my project car, went as far as buying the MINI supercharger and a hif44 Su. Then I lost interest when I started to hear of the difficulties getting the tuning right, carb icing, and the supercharger not really liking having fuel in it.

I have since seen some blow through set ups in English magazines which look like they solve these issues. I’m thinking of using the supercharger I’ve got mounted in front of the engine and converting the hif44 Su to work with boost pressure.

Has anyone tried this?

Has anyone got a good guide to converting a normal hif44 Su to work pressurised?

Would there be a need for a dump valve between the supercharger and the carburettor?

86 626 Turbo (daily drive, now stolen)
71 cooper s replica
69 cooper replica
76 clubman
62 english 850
68 Mini Auto

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:22 am 
1275cc
1275cc

There was a bloke in the UK who designed his own manifold called podifold. Unfortunately he had some tuning issues with his car and the whole project has disappeared. You can still find images if you search for podifold on google.

The dump valve would be needed to release unneeded boost pressure when you close the throttle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:58 am 
Yay For Hay!

that's part of the reason I took the SC12 off my car, couldn't intercool it, couldn't get clean fuelling, just too much pain - even injected

my ideal with a 5 port would be to mount the blower at the back of the engine, pipe it forwards over the thermostat housing, intercool it, then back around to a throttle body/carb on the end of a log manifold... but a 7 port would be the way to go

I believe the only 'real' difference between a normal HIF44 and a boosted HIF44 is that the throttle shaft seals are reversed and that the float bowl vent has boost pressure fed into it to stop the fuel in the jet being pushed back into the bowl when boost goes through the carb - google something like 'converting HIF44 for turbo'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:07 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

This would be more how I'd do a super charged mini... :P

https://youtu.be/HqEv21bhFPU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:49 pm 
848cc
848cc

simon k wrote:
that's part of the reason I took the SC12 off my car, couldn't intercool it, couldn't get clean fuelling, just too much pain - even injected

my ideal with a 5 port would be to mount the blower at the back of the engine, pipe it forwards over the thermostat housing, intercool it, then back around to a throttle body/carb on the end of a log manifold... but a 7 port would be the way to go

I believe the only 'real' difference between a normal HIF44 and a boosted HIF44 is that the throttle shaft seals are reversed and that the float bowl vent has boost pressure fed into it to stop the fuel in the jet being pushed back into the bowl when boost goes through the carb - google something like 'converting HIF44 for turbo'
The turbo hifs also have a slot machined for a clip to stop the damper blowing out the top of the dashpot, but it's not really needed unless you're running LOTS of boost.

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:53 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the information on the turbo carbs. Looks like I'll have to check keep looking at conversions done in the uk.

86 626 Turbo (daily drive, now stolen)
71 cooper s replica
69 cooper replica
76 clubman
62 english 850
68 Mini Auto

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:38 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Given the Metro Turbo ran a blow through setup, it is certainly feasible. I run suck through supercharger and a blow through turbo (this one's still being built, but extreeemely common as I'm sure you know).

Only extra consideration I think is to think about a bypass valve for a blow through supercharger setup, given the butterfly will be post-supercharger and you'd have to deal with excess boost when you snap the throttle closed. (Perhaps a turbo blow off valve would suffice, I am not sure having never done that).

I agree a blow through would in some ways be superior when using the troublesome units as per the UK kits. With the twin screw, mine runs utterly beautifully in suck through.

[Although I don't have issues, I do wonder if the the SU is inherently limited by a lack of accelerator pump meaning a lean condition on sudden WOT observable on my AFR recording. Water/meth offsets that somewhat, but even without it, drivability and detonation seem fine, so maybe I am just being overly cautious.]

Some info is available on the Turbo Minis forum but as name implies much of that it turbo not super.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:42 am 
1275cc
1275cc

I did it. I have a thread somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:14 pm 
998cc
998cc

yep Simon has it. supercharge from the back, manifold over to a front mounted intercooler (say off an RX7 series 4 :wink: ) then around the back again. Injection is the key with fly by wire.