Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Toe board strengthening
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:04 am 
998cc
998cc

I've heard of high-powered minis causing cracks in the toe board where the subframe bolts pass through the floor. The solution (or prevention in a new build) seems to be to add a steel spreader plate around those mount points, but is there a good plate area/dimensions and thickness to use? As opposed to complete overkill and welding in a 3mm steel plate across the entire width of the toe board :shock: Any photos would be appreciated too.

Last edited by Mearcat on Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

wow how much are you hating on your mini??

ive sagged them in the middle long before ive had issues with the sub-frame pulling out

to answer your question, an engineer will say dont make it any more that double the metal its attached to, so a 2-2.5 mm would probably be better

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:34 pm 
998cc
998cc

greyghost wrote:
wow how much are you hating on your mini??

No hate yet, but about 160hp once it's on the road :P This is about forward-planning

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:22 pm 
998cc
998cc

I think David Vizards “how to modify your mini” had some recommendations on this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:53 am 
998cc
998cc

Phil 850 wrote:
I think David Vizards “how to modify your mini” had some recommendations on this.

The only stiffening reference in the body work section of the book mentions behind the carb, pushing the bulkhead into the parcel shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:05 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Mearcat wrote:
Phil 850 wrote:

The only stiffening reference in the body work section of the book mentions behind the carb, pushing the bulkhead into the parcel shelf.

Are you looking at the new yellow one or the old white one? The old white one that was specific to minis had a few references for the body & subframe modifications

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:59 am 
848cc
848cc

Dutchy boxed up the section in his. But I believe it was for suspension and steering mounting purposes. But if you extend that concept further, there could be a solution somewhere:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=100203&start=75

My thinking is that the torque from the motor would want to push the bottom of the subframe into the cabin? Therefore, pending any clearance issues (the default clutch pedal his the bolts...) you may get away with a stiffening plate parallel with the two mounting holes?

I'm thinking something like this cardboard mock up for illustration purposes...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:15 pm 
religious status
religious status

Torque from the engine is opposite direction to wheel rotation, so it would try to pull the floor down, not up.
I've not seen 200 HP Toyota conversions damage the floor, but their problems were all around the lack of any rigidity at the RF corner of the subframe, after people cut the RH side out to fit the engine in.
I had a bit to do with 3 of these. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:11 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

My car has a removable front and a similar 160hp to what's being discussed.
What I did with my subframe is make the lower mounts bigger to help spread any loads as much as possible.

The two top holes match up with the original rover mounts.
The 3 bottom holes go through the area of the floor where the floor panel meets the toe-board - which is fairly rigid. There is a flat bar with 3 holes in it on the inside of the shell - so the arrangement sort of 'clamps' down on the floor too in that area.
The plates having the 5 bolts and a large surface area also means that in the event of a front impact the subframe would be less likely to 'punch' through the floor to where your feet are. That was the plans anyway - I hope to never find out.

The cars been driving around in anger for a few years now and there is absolutely no flex down there - by comparison I can feel the floor moving around under my feet when i drive my old deluxe!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.