Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:16 am 
848cc
848cc

Is this the right place for this?

Can anyone help with the fitting tolerances of the valve guides into the head? I want to know what size to ream the Head holes to and what the tolerance is? I am assuming something like an H7h6 (Which I know is a metric spec) but would really like to get the original BMC/Leyland/Rover specs if at all possible.

Any help would be awesome

Thanks

Dave P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:37 pm 
998cc
998cc

I dont think you need to touch the head . Worry about how worn the valve stem is on your valves
New valve guides should be sized to interference fit the head and need pressing in.
Once new guides were fitted where i once was .The valve seats were done .This shop had old grandad made pistons in the war era.Old school people here at Kurri Kurri .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks but I do actually need to know the head hole size and tolerances...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:52 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Dave P wrote:

Below is part of the engineering drawing for the 12G294 cylinder head. Any help there? It looks like the head hole is 15/32"

Attachment:
12G294 Cylinder Head Valve Guides wm.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:48 am 
998cc
998cc

Sorry , no idea here, but your good question raised another for the machine shop engineers amongst us. Are there different tolerances valve to guide for the different materials available -bronze manganese . iron etc.
To the OP - go to the minispares website and search for valve guides, they list the internal fit but no details on interference fit.

Taken from the iron guides Minispares Page

Quote:
hat tell tale puff of blue smoke when you first start is an indicator of worn guides or seals. Valve guides should be replaced with every valve job.

Sold individually, these are the original quality Cooper S guides for use in any head especially with chrome stemmed valves.

Also suitable for any of our plasma or heat treated competition valves when using unleaded petrol.

Not for Turbo exhaust valves as they have a 8mm internal diameter.

Should sit 0.550"from top of guide to valve spring seat.

Internal bore size after fitting should be about 9/32th (0.2812") but with modern day valves 0.2799" to-0.2804" is fine.

As most of our EN214N race valves are heat treated they can be used in these cast iron guiides which dissipate heat quicker than bronze but exhaust valves should be given a little more clearance.
[/u]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:23 am 
848cc
848cc

winabbey wrote:
Dave P wrote:

Below is part of the engineering drawing for the 12G294 cylinder head. Any help there? It looks like the head hole is 15/32"

Attachment:
12G294 Cylinder Head Valve Guides wm.jpg

Thanks that is a great piece of info...

Do you have more of the drawing? Specifically there is an A in a circle next to the hole dimension, this will refer to the tolerance.. Somewhere on the drawing, probably in the notes at the bottom right, there will probably be a tolerance spec for "A"