Ausmini
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aussie 8 Port
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:27 am 
848cc
848cc

Scoop wrote:
Hi Dave, it's coming up really good. To me it looks like an Australian mini would fit this a little easier. The brake master cylinder takes up a fair bit your useable space. Did you think about converting your car?
It also looks like a good candidate for adding a turbo down the track!!!
I'm loving this development, I wish I had your design skills. Thank you for sharing.

Did I think of a non servo setup? But that would have made things easier! No I like the servo set up and everything fits... Just.

Yes I had thought about a small turbo:

Attachment:
Turbo.png

But that's for later

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:27 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Dave P wrote:
TK wrote:
Dave, I think that it's time to move onto the block. I'll have one in Alloy

No, just no! I have thought about scanning the block, but once I start it won't stop!!!

Mind you I do have a few ideas...

This is a related exercise, although not alloy - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=98935

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:34 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

I thought Matt Read was working on a billet aluminum block at some point...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:17 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Weslake had a similar approach...however, if they used barely adequate Allen headed bolts then that isn't too inspiring!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:26 pm 
998cc
998cc

Not seeing any of the Big Names input on this ??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:09 am 
998cc
998cc

Ian_B wrote:
Not seeing any of the Big Names input on this ??

Who are the big names?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:57 am 
848cc
848cc

Chapter 4 “Does he really need all this equipment”

While all the packaging work was being done, I was also refining the cylinder head. Once I had got to the point where I knew that the design of the head would package and work within the Mini engine bay it was time to make the big decision:

Do I turn the intellectual exercise into a reality? Or leave it there. I know this may sound like there’s a lot of work to this point, why would I do this if I wasn’t planning to go all the way. Well the simple answer is that up until now I had not put a lot of cash into the project, to go to casting meant a commitment in money, with a chance of wasting a lot of cash that could be spent getting the 5 port going. But to be honest I had actually gone too far to back out and spend the rest of my life wondering…

During all the design process I had been planning how the head would be cast, there would be inlet and exhaust and water jacket cores. The outer mould would be made in three parts, a top, bottom and front piece. As I described earlier, I had modelled a machined head, now I had to re-model it with casting allowances included, as well as the feeder and vents. Casting allowance is 5 mm for all machined surfaces from this I could then model the cores and moulds directly.

That’s right I would model the moulds, no patterns would be made, yes you read that right I did not make patterns. Instead I had the moulds 3D printed in sand… This is one of the ways I kept costs reasonable and kept the pace up. There are a number of advantages to using this technique:
• It’s quick
• It’s very accurate
• Very reasonable price for one off and small volumes
• You don’t have to worry about draft angles and over hangs (indeed the water jacket would be very impossible to make in a single core box)
• It’s seriously cool!

Before I committed to this, I did 3D print a 40% model which I took to the foundry to discuss with the casting gurus there. This was very fortunate as I found that I couldn’t assemble the exhaust core through the water jacket core as I had thought I could. Result was I had to cut the water jacket into 2 pieces. Doh! Has to be said the foundry guys were awesome, spending time to help me and show me around, there wasn’t any issues with helping one dude with a single casting. And their Guru had been casting longer than I have been alive (and I’m 51).

Once I had the OK from them, I went to CSIRO in East Melbourne and they printed my first set of moulds. Again they couldn’t have been more helpful.

To explain these images, the head is cast upside down, however the mould is also assembled upside down… Normally the foundry wouldn’t do this as they don’t like to turn finished moulds over but as this was only a small one they were OK with it (They showed me a flywheel they had just cast at over a tonne, so an 18Kg casting is tiny!)

Attachment:
Mould Slide1.JPG

Attachment:
Mould Slide2.JPG

I haven’t got any images of the thermostat housing or inlet manifold moulds, they were simple 2 piece moulds, with one core…

Once printed I took them to the foundry who cast them:

Attachment:
Head Slide1.JPG

Attachment:
Head Slide2.JPG

Attachment:
Ally Slide1.JPG

Attachment:
Ally Slide2.JPG

If you look at the top (bottom) face of the head casting you can see it’s a bit rough, this was the only area of concern, the rest of the casting was perfect. I can tell you this was a tense time for me, once I had the casting though I was on a bit of a high for a few days. I wanted to have 2 initial heads cast so after the first success I added an extra 3 mm. of allowance onto the top of the casting due to the rough surface being a bit of a worry and had a second mould made.

This casting blew big time, I ended up with a huge hole in the middle. This was probably the lowest time during the whole thing, and I nearly threw the towel in. However I cut it up with an angle grinder and found an issue… When I added the 3mm of extra allowance I had to update the water jacket design to match… I had the wrong water jacket! This meant that it was not touching the top of the mould so couldn’t vent properly, I now knew why the casting had blown! The printers printed me a new set of moulds and the foundry made the casting, as slowly as possible to aid venting. This third casting looks perfect, I havn’t had any machining done on it yet though…

It’s off to machining now, but that’s another Chapter!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:12 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Fasaminating Dave!! Well done :!:

Thoughts:
Does the foundry test the finished castings for casting discontinuities etc?
What thought was put into combustion chamber design and capacity (I see the hotspot has been removed)?
Did you always intend to later clean up/smooth part of inlet tracts to promote flow etc after casting?

[I know! Questions! :D ]

Last edited by 9YaTaH on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:31 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Wow!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:
Fasaminating Dale!! Well done :!:

Thoughts:
Does the foundry test the finished castings for casting discontinuities etc?
What thought was put into combustion chamber design and capacity (I see the hotspot has been removed)?
Did you always intend to later clean up/smooth part of inlet tracts to promote flow etc after casting?

[I know! Questions! :D ]

No the foundry did not do any tests on the head beyond a close visual inspection. One of the reasons for having open ends to the water jacket was for inspection.

Combustion chamber was a copy of the one on the head I scanned with was a stage 3 head from about 25 years ago! was supposed to have a 22 cc chamber but due to a machining error it is actually only 19 cc at the moment.

No the plan was always to leave everything as cast. This is to reduce cost in manufacturing. If you have the accuracy that the 3D printing gives you why not use it!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

I love this thread and the explanations and work that has gone in, thanks so much for sharing Dave!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:50 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

"Fasaminating Dale!! Well done :!: "

thanks DAVE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:57 am 
1360cc
1360cc

TK wrote:
"Fasaminating Dale!! Well done :!: "

thanks DAVE

Oops...yes, Dave! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:05 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Dave P wrote:
No the foundry did not do any tests on the head beyond a close visual inspection. One of the reasons for having open ends to the water jacket was for inspection.

Combustion chamber was a copy of the one on the head I scanned with was a stage 3 head from about 25 years ago! was supposed to have a 22 cc chamber but due to a machining error it is actually only 19 cc at the moment.

No the plan was always to leave everything as cast. This is to reduce cost in manufacturing. If you have the accuracy that the 3D printing gives you why not use it!

Not saying you should worry...just that castings can hide embedded faults by their very nature...

Combustion chamber could even be enlarged by hand for a target C/R if needs be...

"reduce the cost of manufacturing" rather than "Hey, I cast this as a one off and to show that it could be done" don't mean it can't take further "improvement"!! Would be interesting to see how your masterpiece flows :D

[some port matching may be required anyway...]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:35 am 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:
Dave P wrote:

Not saying you should worry...just that castings can hide embedded faults by their very nature...

Combustion chamber could even be enlarged by hand for a target C/R if needs be...

"reduce the cost of manufacturing" rather than "Hey, I cast this as a one off and to show that it could be done" don't mean it can't take further "improvement"!! Would be interesting to see how your masterpiece flows :D

[some port matching may be required anyway...]

Second casting was, when sectioned, perfect except where it had blown so no I am not worried, but I take you point.

Yes I have lots of meat to enlarge the chamber if needed. Final volume will be driven by engine capacity etc. so will worry about that later. Likewise I could port it later if needed!

The inlet ports to manifold match up really well, better than I expected, but I will do a final matching...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next