Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Aussie 8 Port
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:44 pm 
998cc
998cc

Well done on your r&d. It looks great and I can't wait to see the next step!

1966 Morris Mini Van
1969 Morris Mini Deluxe Resto
5/72 Clubman Gt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:11 am 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

Not something you hear of everyday. Thanks for sharing your good work.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:48 am 
1098cc
1098cc

slide wrote:
Did you consider buying one of Ken Elder's Aussie 8 ports?

With the talent, experience and qualification Dave has, he simply designed and produced something better.

With the advent of 3D printing and CAD, it is amazing what you can produce as a prototype for testing and research purposes.

I know of another head in the prototype stages currently undergoing testing as well, here in Australia.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:23 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Did the Darlex in the background assist in the project?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:38 pm 
998cc
998cc

Looks awesome .If you decide to sell these give flow figures so no snake oil and do it through a retailer that does the right thing by the buyer .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:41 pm 
998cc
998cc

Wow, very impressive! Do you have any cutaways (or cad) of the head showing the ports etc? What you have created is so impressive!

And being able to produce more of them is cool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:39 am 
848cc
848cc

Chapter 2 “Hang on lads I’ve got a great idea” Part 1!

Just to clarify all the design work was done on CAD, using CATIA.
I have been looking for original drawings/CAD for the head for a long time; those that have the data are unwilling to share (Which seems a bit dog in a manger to me but there we go!). So, I had to go to plan B which was to 3D scan a head. Luckily for me we have a scanner at work so scanning the head was a “learning exercise” for me!

Attachment:
Original Head.jpg

Attachment:
Scan Data 1.JPG

Attachment:
Scan Data 2.JPG

This was used to extract the “primary datums” for the design. These are the parts that will be common with the original 5 port. Head stud, rocker pillar studs, & push rod holes, mating faces and bore centres. As well as the architecture of the rocker area.

Attachment:
Datums 1.JPG

Next, I modelled combustion chamber, exhaust port and an initial inlet port. It’s worth noting here that the inlet port position is driven by the head stud on the No4 cylinder… The Arden actually has different ports for 1,2, &, 3 cylinders to 4, however I wanted a common port shape for all 4 cylinders as this would help to make the engine tuning etc. easier. The exhaust is, at this stage, a copy of the No1 cylinder port as I needed a “Peg in the ground” to work around before I looked in to down drafting (Or is that up drafting as it’s the exhaust?). An initial spark plug hole was modelled. It should be noted that there was no chance of using a standard plug, so I modelled around a 10 mm 1-inch thread length plug. Valve guide and spring seat positions were also added. Finally, I put an inlet manifold mounting face in. This is the same as the Arden face (so I could use Arden gaskets!) Rotational orientation of these would be tuned throughout the design process. I wanted them as vertical as possible so the bolt pattern would have a good spread to support the heavy manifold. The result you see is the compromise driven my other factors such as the injectors and spark plugs.

Attachment:
Chamber Ports and Plug.JPG

Attachment:
Including Inlet Face.JPG

Attachment:
Cutter Top.JPG

Attachment:
Taking Shape.JPG

As you can see very quickly things are taking shape, so the next stage is to start “blocking” things up. I used a material minimum thickness of 6 mm, so everything developed so far was thickened to this to start building a solid model.
What followed was a lot of iteration, very hard to show with images. I need to maintain a minimum wall thickness of 6 mm, while also maintaining a reasonable water jacket.
The injector position had to be developed. Old school thinking on the injectors it that they should point at the back of the valve, more modern thinking drives the injectors back up the inlet track, as modern injectors atomise the fuel better. As the injectors are in the head, I tried to get them as close to pointing at the valve as possible. This area of the head was the biggest challenge; getting the port, inlet flange, spark plug and injector boss to all fit around the rocker cover and head studs. So, there are of course compromises. Injector position is good, but not perfect, it is also leant over my 5 degrees which makes for more complicated machining on the injector rail. The spark plug is a very snug fit and the inlet flange bolts are rotated more than I would like.

Attachment:
Port.jpg

Exhaust port design was also studied, I have no images of this, but it soon became apparent (as I suspected) that up-drafting the ports was not really a viable option. Due to the push rods & rockers and rocker cover I would only be able to get about 3-5 degrees. And even that would compromise the water jacket. Making a unique rock cover (like the Pinion head) would help but that was beyond my design remit. Therefor I decided to keep a “carry-over” design. I would be able to use an off the shelf 8 port exhaust manifold, not a bad idea when you think how much else I needed to design and engineer!

Attachment:
Pinion.gif

At the front of the head I wanted to copy the 5 port head and run the water jacket under the plugs to aid coolant flow. To do this drove the head a long way forward as the plugs are at a much shallower angle to get under the inlet ports. You can see the “chin” on the front of the casting. This also allowed me to get water to all 8 of the front water jacket holes in the top of the block. I did not want to block any of these off or be forced to machine channels into the face of the head, as seen in some 7 port designs.
Similarly, the Oil gallery follows a similar route to the 1275 casting, but with one more drilling due to the reduced length of the head (No thermostat housing)
Couple of points about the model developed at this time: I did develop a high-level concept of the tooling design, but the model has no draft angles and many overhangs. The reason for this will become apparent later. I am also modelling a finished machined head. There is about 3-4 months covered in this chapter, and many many many hours of CAD.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:43 am 
848cc
848cc

Chapter 2 “Hang on lads I’ve got a great idea” Part 2

Initial CAD Model:

Attachment:
Model 1.JPG

Attachment:
Model 2.JPG

Attachment:
Model 3.JPG

(Water jackets were in the model, just not in these images for some reason)

With an initial design complete my next step was to start up by trusty ($200) 3D printer and print a full-size mock-up to do some form, fit and function testing…

Attachment:
3D 002.jpg

Attachment:
3D 001.jpg

So not sure if that’s too verbose or leaves too many questions! Let me know…

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:23 am 
848cc
848cc

Gold, thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:25 am 
848cc
848cc

I know nothing about these ideas and processes and I am still reading with keen interest and I think the way you are explaining your journey is great, thanks for sharing!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:55 pm 
998cc
998cc

Love it! Don’t hold back, I for one love seeing this type of design and engineering come to fruition. What sort of injection are you planning to run?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Absolutely well done. Please keep posting in the detail you think is necessary.
I hope you have factored in enough "meat" in the design for the extra Cooper S stud and bolt.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

ausdino wrote:
Absolutely well done. Please keep posting in the detail you think is necessary.
I hope you have factored in enough "meat" in the design for the extra Cooper S stud and bolt.

Of course!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:54 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Brilliant stuff Dave...I had an "uncle" who was a Moulder who emigrated from the Eastern Block (like that?)...old fashioned sand casting was a tough job...not saying your work is easy by any means though...good to see you dispensed with the casting welsh plug/button thingamys on top of the head...Well Done! Mick

[Later Edit: Oops! no! casting welsh plug/button thingamys NOT dispensed with...]

Last edited by 9YaTaH on Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:30 am 
998cc
998cc

Outstanding work Dave!

Really look forward to seeing this come to fruition.

'63 Morris 850 (Old Secondhand CAR)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next