It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Lifting the mini
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:03 am 
998cc
998cc

Hi all,
I have the rear of my car up on jack stands at the
Moment. I want to lift the front up and put jack stands under there too.

Can I lift the mini under the sump (with wood in between) so I can insert the jack stands? Or will that danger something or stress something?

Cheers,

Z

1967 mini Cooper S

Post subject: Re: Lifting the mini
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:19 am 
998cc
998cc

It has been done, it used to be done, at least at Selby's by my father. here are the lifting points from the manuals.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:23 am 
998cc
998cc

If you do that you are effectively lifting the car though the engine mounts .. something they are not designed to do...

Place a bit of 2x3 across the front of the subframe. It will kinda wedge against the inner edge of the front valance and will provide a firm base for a trolley jack...

The formed piece of wood shown above is designed to fit where I stick the 2x3 .... its a complete overkill ..

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:00 am 
1360cc
1360cc

What Ian said...but if it were me....I would drop the back, back down and jack the front up first. It is way heavier and therefore your rear jacking will be safer.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:42 pm 
religious status
religious status

I put the trolley jack under the tie bar ear on the front subframe. Done it for years, never had a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:49 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I always used to jack under the sump until one time I went inside to get something before putting the stands under the subframe. Came out to find one of the new-ish engine mounts had sheared.

Now I jack under the subframe on one side at the suspension point as per the diagram above.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:34 pm 
998cc
998cc

Yes... but he has the back on stands already. I would not want to exert the asymmetric loads that the tie bar ears or the subframe edges would involve....

IMHO a trolley jack lined up on the centreline is also a good idea so that any fore and aft loads are dissipated by movement of the jack rather than shear loads on the rear axle stands.....

Cheers, Ia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:38 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Weasel words are words or phrases used in an ambiguous manner in order to make a point. This can also apply to selling a product or spreading a meme. These words often do not reflect the whole truth about the point, product or meme they describe - indeed, they can often be used to actively mask the truth. As such, weasel words may be used to deceive or avoid having to back up assertions.

It has been suggested that the phrase comes from an old folk-belief that weasels sucked the contents from birds' eggs to leave only an empty shell.

Probably the most common form of weasel words are those that make a topic appear accepted without providing anything specific to back it up - the validity of the point then rests on the ambiguity provided by the weasel term. For example, a phrase might be that "Volkswagens are widely considered to be rigid". This assertion may or may not be true, but by itself it tells us absolutely nothing about who considers it to be true, why they think it's true, nor how wide "widely" is.

Weasel words are sometimes a form of argument from authority or argument from popular opinion, which many people believe are logical fallacies. Weasel words are widely considered to be a sign of intellectual laziness. Most people use weasel words a lot without realizing it, even when they are writing an article on weasel words. This problem is believed by many to be widespread (see what we did there?) :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:04 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

9YaTaH wrote:
Weasel words are words or phrases used in an ambiguous manner in order to make a point. This can also apply to selling a product or spreading a meme. These words often do not reflect the whole truth about the point, product or meme they describe - indeed, they can often be used to actively mask the truth. As such, weasel words may be used to deceive or avoid having to back up assertions.

It has been suggested that the phrase comes from an old folk-belief that weasels sucked the contents from birds' eggs to leave only an empty shell.

Probably the most common form of weasel words are those that make a topic appear accepted without providing anything specific to back it up - the validity of the point then rests on the ambiguity provided by the weasel term. For example, a phrase might be that "Volkswagens are widely considered to be rigid". This assertion may or may not be true, but by itself it tells us absolutely nothing about who considers it to be true, why they think it's true, nor how wide "widely" is.

Weasel words are sometimes a form of argument from authority or argument from popular opinion, which many people believe are logical fallacies. Weasel words are widely considered to be a sign of intellectual laziness. Most people use weasel words a lot without realizing it, even when they are writing an article on weasel words. This problem is believed by many to be widespread (see what we did there?) :D

What does a weasel word have to do with jacking points?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:07 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I always jack the front first because my trolley jack wont fit if the rear is up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:41 pm 
Yay For Hay!

gtogreen1969 wrote:
(see what we did there?) :D

What does a weasel word have to do with jacking points?[/quote]

I think he's suggesting that zulu ferrets around till he finds something to put his jack under...

when I have zulu's problem I put the jack under the bottom of the inner guard on one side behind the wheel, or push it all the way in and under the back of the front subframe on one side

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:32 am 
1360cc
1360cc

I found a good way to get safe, stability when you want all four wheels off the ground was to carefully jack up high enough (initially using axle stands) to allow 4 car ramps to be used (opposed, ramps out front and back) :!:

Last edited by 9YaTaH on Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

If a mount breaks from lifting it, it should be replaced anyway.

Not a problem lifting from the sump, just put the wood between it.

I usually cant get the jack that low.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:43 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I have lifted many minis by jacking under sump but don't anymore. A bit of 3x2 hard wood as mentioned works great, along with a bit of whittling to perfect the shape, maybe not quite as elaborate as one in diagram.......oh, and a coat of safety yellow to make it OH&S compliment. A similar idea to lift rear is good as it stops the frame being damaged. I've not seen an engine mount break yet, especially the later wavey ones.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:20 pm 
998cc
998cc

Ok, so mini lifted and job done.

Got the cracked arches off. Now the conundrum on upgraded wheels and tyres.

Noticed a small oil leak, rear brake grommets need replacing and a front drivers side suspension boot.

I'd forgotten how low minis are. Couldn't get the jack under the car!

I reckon some of those diy car lift plates from MCM2 would help.

1967 mini Cooper S