Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 212  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:34 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi everyone,

I was on the forum years ago as "Mini Skirt" but forgot my password, so have a new username that's not too different...

I lived in Qld back then but this year have moved to Melbourne and am loving it!! I still have my '64 (Ringo), but he's still in Brisbane at the moment... I don't have off-street parking in Melbs, so am looking at renting a lockup garage somewhere close to where I live (Inner Southside).

My poor little darling needs some pretty serious work done before he is roadworthy again, the fuel tank has a hole in it and is leaking pretty badly, and has corroded paint in the boot, and he has a few minor rust issues and is in need of a decent service, so he won't be on the road for a little while. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations regarding interstate car moving companies and perhaps storage recommendations? I've been looking on Gumtree and this website www.spacer.com.au but would welcome any suggestions...

TIA... I look forward to lots of Mini related chats!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:08 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Miniskirt Blues wrote:
I was on the forum years ago as "Mini Skirt" but forgot my password, so have a new username that's not too different...

Welcome back. :)

Just checked and I see it was December 2004 when you were last on the forum. Would you like to resurrect that user profile instead of continuing with this new one? I can reset your password and change your email address (if needed) so all your previous posts are visible. Just let me know.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:18 pm 
848cc
848cc

winabbey wrote:
Miniskirt Blues wrote:

Just checked and I see it was December 2004 when you were last on the forum. Would you like to resurrect that user profile instead of continuing with this new one? I can reset your password and change your email address (if needed) so all your previous posts are visible. Just let me know.

Thanks!! Actually I would like that name back again... Miniskirt Blues is an obscure song that not many people would know. Shall I pm you?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:35 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hello from Keith (outback mini) - I live in Port Augusta SA - hot and dry so minis don't rust.
I have a 75 Clubman - 10 years and a crock of money and hard graft - I drive it when it's cool and dry - not that often.
And, rebuilding a 63 850 which I bought for $1500...not one rust hole or dent - 37K miles and full history...nearly there with a lot of help from other members.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:13 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Keith!

I've only ever had my little 850, Ringo (in my profile pic), who I bought in 1998 from a second hand car dealer for $1200. He was porcelain green and in pretty bad shape, but I spent buckets of cash on getting him restored, which was a nightmare I won't go into just now, but he looks much better.. needs a new fuel tank and a few other things though. He has a 998cc engine and disc brakes, but aside from that and the colour scheme he's pretty original.

I moved to Melbourne for work at the beginning of this year and couldn't move him down here at the time, but I am working on it now. Can't wait to get him down here!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:28 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Miniskirt Blues wrote:
Thanks!! Actually I would like that name back again... Miniskirt Blues is an obscure song that not many people would know. Shall I pm you?

PM me your email address and I will organise.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:29 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Miniskirt Blues wrote:
winabbey wrote:
Miniskirt Blues wrote:

The Vibes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7gXRsq9kWQ

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:

Thanks!! I think I prefer this version by the Flower Children... and I think I recognise that Mini in your avatar...
https://youtu.be/TCeFPQBdXAs

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:42 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Miniskirt Blues wrote:

... and I think I recognise that Mini in your avatar...
https://youtu.be/TCeFPQBdXAs

Did you ever live in Sydney's West, around Kensington or say over Mosman way :?: :wink:

[EDIT: Far out!...those Flower Chilun are psycha-firkin-delic maaan 8) ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:

Did you ever live in Sydney's West, around Kensington or say over Mosman way :?: :wink:

No, I just thought I'd chatted with you when I was on the forum years ago.... could be wrong...

Yeah, the Flower Children are pretty great huh?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:29 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Miniskirt Blues wrote:
9YaTaH wrote:

No, I just thought I'd chatted with you when I was on the forum years ago.... could be wrong...

Ahhh! I see...I would love to have a chat to the fella who bodged all four wheel cylinders using shim brass :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

winabbey wrote:
Miniskirt Blues wrote:

YAHOOO!!! I'm back on my original login!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:54 pm 
848cc
848cc

9YaTaH wrote:
Miniskirt Blues wrote:
9YaTaH wrote:

Ahhh! I see...I would love to have a chat to the fella who bodged all four wheel cylinders using shim brass :evil:

I'd be happy to never see that scumbag again... Sadly he was held in quite high regard by the Qld Mini Owners Club, but I think he thought he could take advantage of me because I'm a girl and (according to some) "girls don't know anything about cars".... He's a rip off merchant and a terrible mechanic.

On the subject of getting my little bloke down to Melbourne, I've recently discovered that an old pal of mine who I recently got back in touch with via facebook is actually a really kickarse panelbeater, and he's keen to help me out with Ringo, which is great!! I don't know many car folks down this way yet, and storage will be a bit of a problem, at least in the short term, so I hope my mate up there can help me out!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:16 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Mini Skirt wrote:
I'd be happy to never see that scumbag again... Sadly he was held in quite high regard by the Qld Mini Owners Club, but I think he thought he could take advantage of me because I'm a girl and (according to some) "girls don't know anything about cars".... He's a rip off merchant and a terrible mechanic.

On the subject of getting my little bloke down to Melbourne, I've recently discovered that an old pal of mine who I recently got back in touch with via facebook is actually a really kickarse panelbeater, and he's keen to help me out with Ringo, which is great!! I don't know many car folks down this way yet, and storage will be a bit of a problem, at least in the short term, so I hope my mate up there can help me out!!

Just so there is no confusion, my Deluxe was bought privately from a couple who I have no doubt were selling dressed up dodgy trade-in rubbish from a well known dealer on the Brookvale Peninsular...

Welcome again and good luck with Ringo :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:18 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi folks, Peter on the Sunshine Coast. I’m going to be lazy and copy the piece I wrote yesterday about my mini and some past exploits. Back a couple of pages is a post by another Peter (Ausdino), the very same individual who blew my mind in his Cooper S at Surfers Paradise all those years ago. With bit of luck, we may even get the chance to have both cars on the road at the same time, 38 years later! I’m a bit ahead of him in the latest rebuild, hopefully done by Christmas.

I love my car. After thirty-five years, that must be apparent to those who know me, but for some reason I have resisted admitting it. ‘Min’ is a 1970 Morris Cooper S, bought for $2750 (a loan from my father) in Brisbane, shortly after my twenty-first birthday. Min is a ‘she’, and this has nothing to do with objectifying women – it’s really about anthropomorphising the car, in the same way others do to boats, dogs, shoes, houses and movie stars they will never meet.

I had two Minis previously – a yellow ’67 Deluxe (with windup windows and bumblebee black stripes from a rattle can) which I wrapped around a tree in Fig Tree Pocket, shortly after taking my girlfriend home. The second was a scrounged body shell with the unbroken bits of the first grafted on, and survived two years in the wilds of Gold Creek and Pullenvale, which at the time was an eclectic mixture of wealthy ‘ranch-style’ houses and crumbling dairy farmers’ cottages occupied by left-over hippies and alternative life-stylers. The road was dirt and rough, marihuana grew in the fields, and they were some of the happiest days I can remember.

Not so for others however. A reckless moorhen dashed across the road near the Queensland University pond and I couldn’t avoid it. Its neck was broken and I wouldn’t leave it suffering. I had seen mutton birders despatching their catch with a flick of the wrist – so tried that. Moorhens are not strongly put together, and most of the bird landed on the windscreen of a car in the other lane, whose occupants may not have understood why it appeared I had stopped just to dismember a waterbird…and didn’t wait to find out.

That Mini was consigned to a paddock, after an early morning thrash through the Surfer’s Paradise in a mate’s Cooper S - Weber carburettor growling behind the dash as 7000 rpm splashed off the concrete and glass. No radar traps. I could not believe how fast it was.

The current Min came into my life in ’81, and I rebuilt her in ’84. Then for thirty years, she took a back seat to raising a family with the girl from Fig Tree Pocket.

I have since developed Parkinson’s Disease, and over the last three years have spent a lot of time and money on Min - working on her when I am able – to perhaps finally finish what was among the first, and what will be my last and greatest car. She tolerates my slow and clumsy ministrations, but we will get there eventually, and she will keep going well after I have pulled off the road.

An indignant man once berated me outside Woolworths for “butchering a classic”, because I had repainted my Cooper S in a non-original colour and fitted mag wheels.

A fortnight later another august gentleman waited by the car for a chat, and I couldn’t prevent a flutter of anxiety. But he smiled broadly and told me he once raced for Mercedes Benz, and was delighted to see the car being used. He had visited one of his racers in a German museum, and it had been totally restored – all dents, marks and his initials scratched inside the door removed -- and “It was like meeting an old and passionate lover, now with a facelift, who can’t remember anything about you.”

“But this old car,” he laid a gentle hand on Min, and I’m sure there was a glint in his eye, “I think she is loved”. And so she is.

Min - 1970 MkII S, 119hp Dave Anton 1380, SH Engineering belt drive, 1.5 rollers, 123Tune ignition, 48 DCO SP Weber, HP Headers, MSD, Maniflow ex. Swiftune SC/CR 3.7 + ATB, all KAD front, antiroll bars and gas shocks, 6 inch Minilites with Dunlop Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 190, 191, 192, 193, 194, 195, 196 ... 212  Next