Ausmini
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:28 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi All

anybody has a picture of the Alternator mounting bracket on a Mini? how did you install it?

please any picture will help!

cheers
Axel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:28 am 
Yay For Hay!

I think some people turn the alternator around and make the body of it sit on the 'outside' of the engine. They work the same way when run backwards.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:54 am 
1360cc
1360cc

That's right, same goes with the Suzuki engines. Put it on backwards by the timing cover.
Best to just make a splashguard for it to protect it. Not normally a problem but the internals fans in them occasionally make them run hotter / less efficient in reverse.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:24 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

You can see how meercat did his here and another here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:10 am 
848cc
848cc

This is how I did mine with a Honda B16. Same what the others said. It runs backwards and works well.

Previously owned the Red VTEC Mini (B16A)

Project currently on the go:
1961 Morris mini
Engine conversion - WRX EJ255

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:31 pm 
998cc
998cc

I have seen someone mount the alternator in the normal orientation above the exhaust manifold. I can't remember who that was though sorry.

Last edited by Mearcat on Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:37 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Mearcat wrote:
I have someone mount the alternator in the normal orientation above the exhaust manifold. I can't remember who that was though sorry.

I'm hoping to do the same thing, I don't like the alternator sticking into the wheel well, but I'll see what I can do when I get there.

If I were doing a round nose conversion I probably wouldn't have any choice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:53 pm 
998cc
998cc

I remember now - It was the user "Ben92" but I also remember than he had the inlet manifold cut and shortened, allowing his engine to tilt further back (~30mm if I recall) than most other conversions and gave him room to the the alternator at the front. The standard inlet manifold is definitely quite bulky in the Mini engine bay so I'm not sure how you'd go without the same mod.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:04 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Mearcat wrote:
I remember now - It was the user "Ben92" but I also remember than he had the inlet manifold cut and shortened, allowing his engine to tilt further back (~30mm if I recall) than most other conversions and gave him room to the the alternator at the front. The standard inlet manifold is definitely quite bulky in the Mini engine bay so I'm not sure how you'd go without the same mod.

Interesting - I was actually banking on getting a smaller alternator from a charade or something similar. But I'm not counting my chickens yet, because even then it might foul the front mount I'm putting right near there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:33 pm 
998cc
998cc

Irish Yobbo wrote:
...even then it might foul the front mount I'm putting right near there.

Have a look at my setup here http://mearcat.blogspot.com/2012_07_01_archive.html and you'll see I have absolutely no room due to my front mount intercooler and turbo-to-intercooler pipework.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:17 am 
Yay For Hay!

Mearcat wrote:

Ben's car does have a little ding in the bonnet from the alternator hitting it at one point...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:25 am 
848cc
848cc

I'm looking at using a different alternator entirely

back right is conventional toyota alternator
back left is a charade / swift "small" alternator
front is a kubota dynamo

got to be careful running conventional alternator in reverse - esp if you have lots of current draw (big stereo etc) fan really does not work in reverse & it will just overheat & fail

T

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:44 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I've seen a few forums that mention the kubota dynamo, they seem to be popular for race and drag.

The reason I dismissed them is that they are only rated for about 12-16 amps if memory serves - enough to keep an engine running but not enough for a street car with lights and sound.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:37 am 
848cc
848cc

true they have a low output, but there are easy solutions for problems.

fyi :
output: 150watt
current: 14amps

there is a good thread somewhere from a guy using one on his subaru powered light aircraft.

lights are easy - upgrade to led headlight globes. phillips does a kit thats about $100. Don't really need a stereo (certainly not a big one with subs etc) decent battery & everything will be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:25 pm 
998cc
998cc

Harley wrote:
Best to just make a splashguard for it to protect it. Not normally a problem but the internals fans in them occasionally make them run hotter / less efficient in reverse.

I've just made a cover for my alternator (fibreglass) but still have plans to make a small duct to get some airflow to the alternator https://mearcat.blogspot.com/2017/11/alternator-cover-and-cooling.html