Ausmini
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:21 am 
998cc
998cc

peterb wrote:
Any updates on this one?

He just gave an update 2 days ago!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:46 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Two days is a long time when you're following great threads. I already have to watch broject binky 12 times between episodes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:55 pm 
998cc
998cc

peterb wrote:
Two days is a long time when you're following great threads. I already have to watch broject binky 12 times between episodes.

I feel your pain. You wait 3-4 months for those guys and it's all over in 30 mins leaving you gagging for more!
:D :D :D

1967 mini Cooper S

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:22 pm 
998cc
998cc

Haha, I know what you guys mean. There's some epic threads out there and you get to the end and are just like "cmon, hurry up!!!"
Maybe build-threads.com should do a compilation of all the epic-but-stalled build threads.

My build won't make it on though, cause it aint stalled just yet...
There are updates since last time, I just need to compile and post the photos.
So, patience chaps :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:37 pm 
998cc
998cc

So there lot's of news on the build, but for now I'll just leave this here...

https://youtu.be/M2_bDHpDc2I

:)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

Awesome man!! All that hard work finally it runs

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

'66 Morris Mini DeLuxe. In pieces.
'88 Honda EE2 4WDWagovan. DOHC.
'94 Honda EG4 Civic. -Daily-
'82 Toyota KE70 Corolla -Drifter- x2
'95 Honda DC2 Integra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:20 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Great milestone! well done.

Seems to be idling pretty high, maybe a vacuum leak or TPS error?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:55 pm 
998cc
998cc

Yeah, it's definitely not running 100% right yet. Still chasing a million little things to get it right. And I suspect both of those things are contributing, still very happy with having it running though:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:31 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hello Ausmini. Happy 2019 :)

I’m still working away on the Morris, it drives and the last direction I got from the engineer was ‘just get it roadworthy’.

So in the interests of kicking off this year with some solid progress towards that goal, I decided getting the interior to a habitable and roadworthy was an easy place to start. First up, some nice trims for the C pillars. Note that the whole interior was sold when I purchased the car so I have to make everything from scratch.

To fill these holes.

I cut these up out of some plywood. Gave them a few coats of polyurethane varnish I had just to tidy them up a bit.

The trick with these is to allow room for the trim clips to slide in. Don’t glue your foam straight to the backboard, thankfully I learnt this lesson a while back on a previous project.

Some thin card.

Taped over the holes should do.

Like so.

Allowing the clips to slide in without grabbing the foam.

So then I cut some pieces of vinyl.

Then found some foam for backing.

Glued to the boards with spray adhesive and trimmed to the edges.

Leaving an inch or so all the way around.

For gluing with some contact adhesive. After finding both the tins in the shed had gone solid, a trip to Bunnings yielded some Sika branded stuff that was quite forgiving to use and actually allowed for a bit of repositioning which was handy.

I found it was necessary to look at both sides to try to get the radius of the edge even as too much tension flattened it out and made it look funny.

Overall they came out pretty nice for an afternoons work.

I painted inside the C pillar with some body deadener. Not sure it did much but it all helps I guess.

Soaked a bunch of the trim clips overnight in vinegar, it helps a lot.

Trial fitted, should do the job nicely.

Next up, Door trims. These are the cards, just 3mm MDF with he same varnish to seal them a little. Will be a basic design with straight lines I think, not going to get too fancy.
Imagehttps://counterfeit.net.au/images/

Last edited by madmorrie on Thu May 13, 2021 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:16 am 
848cc
848cc

Keep up the good work, I'm interested to see it come together.

1969 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1,3S

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:31 pm 
998cc
998cc

So, as seen in the last update, the interior is coming together.

Having made door trims for a Valiant project several years ago I was happy to tackle this again.
Valiant S series door trims made may years ago.

This time I decided to make them a single colour to simplify things a bit, but so they weren’t completely boring, I added some lines to the design. This design is also reminiscent of one of the many variations of this interior produced by the factory somewhere too.
My concept.

So first I stuck some 3mm closed cell foam to my painted MDF boards with spray contact adhesive.
Then to mark out a consistent set of lines on all the door cards I printed out this card and marked out my lines.

Then carefully cut the lines with a scalpel. And peeled off the bits I didn’t need.

Then it was vinyl time, carefully brushing contact adhesive into each recess and pushing the vinyl down into each one. I ended up pressing each depression down with some weights and doing each one by one.

Should have made the jig I was thinking about in the start to press down all the lines together, but they just took longer this way.

They are not quite as slick as I might have hoped, and the tape and car trick shows through this thinner foam too, but I think once in the car they will be fine.

Holes all cut and it looks like a bought one. Should be usefully quite than the originals too thanks to thicker, heavier material.

Just need to grease up all the locks and lubricate the mechanism and they can go on.https://counterfeit.net.au/images/

Last edited by madmorrie on Thu May 13, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:09 pm 
998cc
998cc

So, apart from the interior what has happened under the bonnet I hear you ask.
Well, yet another victim of me prematurely selling bits I didn’t think I ‘d need later was the intake pipe from filter to turbo. The half cut I bouhttps://counterfeit.net.au/images/ght never had an airbox, and the factory pipe went to the passenger side of the bay which is not a lot of use for me anyway. BMC handily positioned hydrolastic pipes right where an airbox would sit nicely too. In the end I found the smallest pod filter I could and will have to encapsulate it somehow once I have it working and in position.

Here is how the Toyota factory had it all working.

And then the room I have to play with.

My new intake pipe had to come out of the turbo, then do a right angle bend upwards, pick up the blow off valve in it’s factory location, then curve over to the top of the motor towards the drivers side where there was a tiny bit of space for a filter.

First up I welded/machined up this to take the factory blow off valve.

Then it was fitted into the pipe like so.

At the filter end my 2inch pipe needed to be a 3 inch pipe. I found in the useful pile the 3inch droopy tip from my old corolla, which was cut and butchered into a curved cone type scenario.

Which leaves a pipe looking kind like this.

None of these photos show the small bore pipe for the pollution control welded underneath or the bracket that mounts to the rear of the rocker cover to support it, but use your imagination. Painted black it looks a bit like this.

It sounds cool, blow off valve is very apparent, and hopefully I can work out some kind of airbox arrangement to cover it all that will pass engineering. Yet another job for the 3D printer I think…

Last edited by madmorrie on Thu May 13, 2021 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:49 pm 
998cc
998cc

So much has happened in the last year and a bit that I forget what I’ve posted and what I haven’t. Mostly I haven’t, so even though a lot of this is out of order, I’ll chuck it up here anyway in the interests of a complete account.

As much as I love the look of 15 inch Watanabe’s on the Morris, sourcing a small enough tyre to fit was proving difficult. They were going to be trouble on the road as well, likely very tramliney, guard clearance on lock was terrible, and the flares required to cover them were a heap of work. Added to all that, the engineer was not keen on them either. So a decision was made to go back to 14s.

Oh well…

I had a Hyundai Lantra rim which as luck would have it, possessed a similar extreme positive offset to the 1100 wheels.
A trip to Pick-a-part yielded a set of 4 for $20 each.

A quick bath.

And a rough toweling down.

I went all out here and bought proper ‘wheel’ paint.

And the finish came up pretty good actually.

I managed to source some suitably tiny tyres on eBay. Brand new Pirelli’s for $60 each!

All fitted up.

New small wheels versus old large wheels. Hmm, looks a tad odd doesn’t it.

But here is a comparison of the new 14s, versus the original 12s. Much closer to original spec which the engineer will be happy with, plus no need to flare the guards.

And after a suitable lowering, they actually look pretty good.

Last edited by madmorrie on Thu May 13, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:40 pm 
998cc
998cc

Sorting out the dashboard is a task I have been avoiding because I through it was going to be super painful.

After hacking away at the original to get the gauges to fit I kinda left it there and moved on to other things. It’s sat like this for ages.

I roughed in the shape with a piece of old brake line and welded it in position. After getting happy with how that looked I paneled the sides in with some thin steel.

I am not 100% happy with how this is working, but as I’d always wanted to do a complete custom dash anyway, I’m working on the premise that all of this will be revised in time. However it still needs to look OK as It will not be addressed until the car is painted, which is still some way off. So functionally working and not too disgusting to look at is the goal here.

To that end I wanted to fill this ugly hole, and decided to do it with the 3 switches that run along the base of the long gone starlet dash.

3D printing to the rescue again.

After a layer of ‘structural bog’ the whole thing is starting to come together.

Stay tuned for the next layer of ‘sculptural bog’ and some wrinkle paint.

Last edited by madmorrie on Thu May 13, 2021 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:01 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

madmorrie wrote:
Hello Ausmini. Happy 2019 :)

Hmmmmm...by my reading, you will be poorer after completing this restoration :D

https://www.yourchineseastrology.com/pa ... eading.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 346 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next