Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:01 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

Going to replace the old KKR unit on the 'mini formerly known as', my mechanic isn't overly fond of them and it's already blowing smoke (could be just from sitting around forever of course). Wondering what other 4EFTE owners are running? Been browsing AusStarlet but curious to see what Ausmini'ers are doing :)

cheers

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:36 pm 
998cc
998cc

FYI, The code for the stock turbo is CT9/CT9a in EP82 Starlet and CT9b in EP91 Starlet. I'm planning on using the standard turbo on mine (not on the road yet) since I'm not after big power. The Subaru TD04 has been used as an upgrade but will require a new manifold.

I'm not sure why your mechanic is not a fan, they are capable of producing 12-13psi reliably before you hit fuel cut. If you decide to stick with the standard turbo, source a CT9b - compared with CT9a, both compressor & exhaust wheels are slightly larger and has one extra fin on the exhaust side.

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:09 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

There are several CT9 options on the market, including some hybrid aftermarket options. Unless you need that extra power on the track, there shouldn't be any need to go further.

A common mod is to change out or modify your exhaust manifold, as the standard cast iron one doesn't breath especially well and can start restricting if you start cranking up the boost too high. Since modifying the manifold can crack it, many people make up new ones - and by that stage you may as well upgrade the turbo too. I think this is one of the main reasons upgrading the turbo is so popular.