Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:21 pm 
Die Die Die!!

So I went back to the workshop this afternoon, 4 floor bolts out, 4 top bolts, and 2 eye mount bolts and the engine slid out, next will be shaving the steering column, the gearbox, and cutting a little more off the subframe and then bolting the rear half of the new subframe in so I can start welding in the new parts

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 pm 
848cc
848cc

Wow. Good to see your project has started. Let the fun begin.
Happy to answer any questions if required. There is also some good advice from Harley as he too has built his own frame. Unlike Harley, instead of changing my frame to make everything fit I tweaked the individual parts to fit. Harley's build means if a component fails then it can be replaced with one off the shelf rather than custom mods being required like mine. Neither are wrong and depends on what you personally want.
Good luck. Keep the updates coming. Plenty of photos.

Previously owned the Red VTEC Mini (B16A)

Project currently on the go:
1961 Morris mini
Engine conversion - WRX EJ255

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:19 pm 
Die Die Die!!

One of the next things I’ll be doing is chopping out the rear of the subframe and hacking up the steering column,

What did you use to seal the plate with after you cut yours?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:03 pm 
848cc
848cc

I still have one bolt in it but sealed it up with transmission sealant. Just need to be careful the sealant doesn't get inside.
You can always check my website as there is plenty of photos and some running commentary.
http://www.dutchysmini.com/vtec-project.html

1961 Morris mini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:39 am 
998cc
998cc

Was browsing through import monstors link to the Jap Yahoo auctions. Came across a rover ac system, couldn't find this thread and now I lost the link! its there somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:18 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Hobson wrote:
Was browsing through import monstors link to the Jap Yahoo auctions. Came across a rover ac system, couldn't find this thread and now I lost the link! its there somewhere.

Thanks for thinking of me Hobson, I actually have two rover AC units, I’ll be using most of the parts from that for my conversion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:08 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

My steering rack is cut back like Dutchy's, except I welded a tab onto the bit of the cover that got cut off so that i could get a second screw into it again.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:14 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Another progress update,

Yesterday I picked up my gearbox from Neat gearboxes, where I had my mFactory final drive, LSD and the Honda LS 5th gear conversion installed,

Spent the morning removing the old gearbox and installing the rebuilt one

After this I diverted my attention to removing the inner guards on the mini, I removed as much as I could with the grinder and then used a pneumatic saw to get into the tighter spots

I think I have removed enough, but I can always remove more if I need to later on.

I then cut a chunk of the rear of the subframe out to clear the gearbox,

Hopefully I’ll get to do some more on Saturday, I’ll be aiming to shave the steering rack and gearbox, I will also start cutting out the steel for the engine mount brackets and lower arms

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:19 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Harley wrote:
My steering rack is cut back like Dutchy's, except I welded a tab onto the bit of the cover that got cut off so that i could get a second screw into it again.

Do you have a photo Harley ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:36 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I've checked my phone and cant find one, will have to check computer. Otherwise i'll have it out in a couple of weeks i'll get you a pic then.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:52 am 
848cc
848cc

Speaking about the rack mod......Just found this close up photo of the gap between my steering rack and diff. Birdseye view. My engine is a fair way forward too. I guess if you can tilt the engine a bit then you may get more clearance. Keep it in mind when modifying the rack.

1961 Morris mini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:00 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Not a lot of progress today..

I realized I couldn’t fit the engine in from underneath like I had planned so that was a bit of a set back, I positioned it in by engine crane with great difficultly.. but forgot to take a pic [DISAPPOINTED FACE] then I Ground the gearbox down, and also ground a fair bit of the steering rack down

I cut the slam panel for the bonnet out to make life easier with installing everything.

I removed the switch panel and semi installed the new one, put the bottom dash rail in situ, removed the old steering column and steering rack and pedal box, installed the servo pedal box, and sportspack steering rack, and found two nuts for fixing the switches to the new steering column, and bolted the column bracket to the dash ready for later

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:41 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Had some goodies arrive today from England.. mostly stuff for after the car is painted however I did get my subframe mounts I had been waiting on so now I can properly mount the subframe :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:49 pm 
998cc
998cc

Nice swag!

1967 mini Cooper S

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:28 pm 
Die Die Die!!

Small progress today,

Managed to put together most of my driveshafts, still need to buy a Honda boot as mine was damaged when I bought it,

I swapped out the wiper motor for a late model one so I can use the intermittent wipers

I cut some more out of my subframe and managed to get the engine in almost the right position, I will still need to cut some more off the steering rack I think, and need to trim the front panel around the clutch arm boot and the slave, and probably the exhaust.

I drilled the holes for the subframe lower mounts and fitted the remainder of the subframe, this made sliding the Honda engine much easier, tomorrow I will start to tack weld the subframe together and try and make the engine mount brackets and if I get time I’ll try to make the lower arm brackets too..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next