Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Air filter dilemma
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:59 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

There's nothing wrong with the filters, its just a misunderstanding between you and the supplier.

Some Twin SU airfilters cases are thinner than others. There's two part numbers for the same filters, one is 1/4" thinner than the others. The thinner cases were UK or very late production local fitment. In Australia the vast majority of cases are the thicker type, so the suppliers will usually assume the thicker part number.

Let them know what has happened and they will amend.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:01 pm 
Daffodil 1275

Hi Mick, thanks for the clarification

OR
Go drive your MINI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:13 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

My Mk2 filter case has a total thickness of just under 49mm including the lid. What's the dimensions on yours?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:01 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Here's a pic of a MK1 Box beside a Clubbie GT Box (maybe) or Pommy airbox which is shallower than the MK1 airbox . Standard Ryco A-256 filters sit proud of the shallower box .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:35 pm 
Daffodil 1275

My measuring tool probably isn’t as accurate as yours Timmy but my tape says more like 45 & the K &M filters sat up exactly like Goodies. Minisport had me send photos & had me send back the K & N which they will replace with another suitable for my car

OR
Go drive your MINI

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:43 pm 
Daffodil 1275

I think the one they are sending is the other one Timmy recommended MG Rover elements pair $31.90

OR
Go drive your MINI

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

goodie wrote:
Here's a pic of a MK1 Box beside a Clubbie GT Box (maybe) or Pommy airbox which is shallower than the MK1 airbox . Standard Ryco A-256 filters sit proud of the shallower box .

The orange coloured filter looks very similar to the Frams that I am using in our 67 S with twin 1 1/4s. The filter itself is very slim but I found that the throat of the filter (about 47mm) was way smaller than what was required to go over the lips of the air box itself (about 54mm). With the raised inside edges of the filter (both top and bottom) it had the effect of lifting the filter well above the housing making it impossible to put the lid on. With the trusty Stanley knife I cut away the raised edges and a fair bit of the rubber in the throat of the filter at an angle. It does not appear to have compromised the structural integrity of the filter as the paper element is a still held fast by the rubber top and bottom. Seal is good.

The lid now goes on with just the right amount of tension. Regular checks have shown them to be holding up well and, given that the car never sees gravel, I'm not concerned.

Not ideal, but effective. I'd be interested if someone can come up with a definitive answer to what actually works perfectly with a 67S.

Richard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:50 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Here's a pic of my MK1 Box with 2 different filters in it ,the Orange filter is a Coopers brand filter , part No; AC121 00100S i am currently running , not sure but i think i bought them from Mini Kingdom . The Black one is a Ryco A256 , as you can see they fit inside the box nicely .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:49 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

The Ryco A256 fits perfectly in my Mk2 case. It must be the thicker version the same dimensions as the Mk1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:48 pm 
Daffodil 1275

Well the saga continues Haha, I have ended up with a Fram CA2714 filter. I have been able to get the lid closed on the housing however, needed to push the filter down somewhat. This meant some of the pleats became bent! Is this detrimental or normal? I took the little beast for a run & she seems to be running & sounding great

OR
Go drive your MINI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:45 am 
848cc
848cc

69Cool wrote:
Well the saga continues Haha, I have ended up with a Fram CA2714 filter. I have been able to get the lid closed on the housing however, needed to push the filter down somewhat. This meant some of the pleats became bent! Is this detrimental or normal? I took the little beast for a run & she seems to be running & sounding great

Those are the same filters that I used in our 67S, but I was concerned about the amount of pressure that I had to apply to get the lid on. I discovered that the throat of the filter was about 10mm smaller than the throat on the carby/airbox so had to cut away the orange rubber to get it to fit (refer earlier post). As I said earlier, far from ideal as I’m concerned that the lid of the airbox may crack.

Yesterday I purchased on eBay two K&N E-9001 filters which, according to the advertised sizes, should solve my problem. They weren’t cheap ($130 pair) but are reusable. I will report back on how they fit.
Richard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:44 am 
Daffodil 1275

Hi Richard, the K & N e9001 were way too high for my air filter box. There was no way I could have closed the lid. The K&N is 44 high whilst the Fram are 42. I did flatten it down a bit by hand first before installation which is why I was concerned about the pleats. I thought this was going to be a simple task but like yourself have had an issue with the height. Will be interested to see how you go

OR
Go drive your MINI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:31 pm 
848cc
848cc

The thickness of the Fram at the pancake section is only 36mm. I can’t measure it at the throat because I cut the top and bottom ridges away. The issue that I have with the Fram is that the throat is so small that the raised edges on the carby/airbox don’t allow the filter to settle properly on the flat section of the airbox. I’m just hoping that the K&N with its wider throat solves the issue. Will be tight either way. Will let you know what happens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:29 am 
1275cc
1275cc

My K&Ns (the type you can clean and reuse) fit fine in my Mk 1 case. I would be contacting K&N. Mine have numbers stamped in them if that helps. Stamped A048A12 -T (same on other side with a -B for bottom I guess) also each marked 7 on top and on bottom one has 1 and the other a 2. K&N and MADE IN USA.

43mm thick at throat and 38mm at edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:25 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Phil. Hopefully mine works out okay. Should get them next week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next