Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 am 
848cc
848cc

I drive Rosebud pretty much every day. Usually 100-250 gentle miles per month. No dumping the clutch, always bip the throttle for a downshift and often double clutch for an up shift. I change the oil & filter and adjust the valves every 3K miles.

So my question is; what kind of longevity can I expect from the drivetrain? What wears out first… clutch, synchros, rings, valves? I posted this question on my usual Mini forum and I'm not getting many responses—it's had to believe no one has an opinion on this. My build was a complete resto; virtually every nut & bolt as new including motor, trans, and everything else, really. My starting point is mile zero.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Rosebud on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:27 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Assuming everything was done properly and quality parts used, with maintenance and careful driving the engine should be good a solid 150,000km at least. Its hard to know how many km some minis have has on thrm over thir lifetimes. Lots of the import rovers frequently have over 100,000, that said- mine has to be rebuilt at 95000, but only cause the diff bearings were stuffed- everything else okay.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:32 am 
1098cc
1098cc

It will probably last forever at that rate. It would be a crystal ball job to work that out, so my suggestion is keep on doing what you're doing and worry about it when the time comes.
My old mini deluxe I had as a young fella got thrashed every day of its life with the speedo needle meeting the ignition light on a regular basis. It eventually met it's destiny with an off road and inverted excursion. It had 97,000 miles on it and still went to go on in another car for years more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:53 pm 
998cc
998cc

I think the answer is pretty much "how long is a (pretty long) piece of string....

Once you get the infant failures out of the way, a Mini engine will run a long time if its not (too) abused. ... and will stoically absorb more than its share of abuse anyway...

Mine is coming up to 30 years or use (and a little abuse) and something short of 150K miles. Oil pressure hasn't really changed but compression is falling ..and blow by is increasing (badly). But it still runs (enough to pull a 3.1 diff to over 100mph..... sorry Officer you must have misread that ;)

Over the years there's been a bit of depot maintenance. The gearbox needed a (professional) rebuild.... when the shortfalls in a home build eventually became too hard to ignore. The radiator (installed in the 80s ) has been recored recently and I suppose there's been a couple of clutches in that time..

Just get on and enjoy it....

Cheers, Ian

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

My 1275 S was rebuilt 27 years ago and still happy although oil pressure is dropping. Did fit a new clutch due to broken diaphragm spring. Also a rebuilt head.
Modern oils and fuels mean there is little need for de-coke and valve regrinds any more.
A friend has had a 998 mini with over 240,000 kms on the block. Only wore out the rings and no cylinder wear!
First failure will possibly be the valve guides in the head as the rocker motion pushes the valves sideways. OHC setups solve most of this side-wear on modern engine designs.
Oil seals in the diff and around the front of crankshaft also happen.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 am 
1275cc
1275cc

They are long living engines if you keep the maintenance up to them and oil and fluid changes regularly. Henry had just shy of 300k on him when I spun a big end bearing on cylinder 4 and then stripped the 998 down to find virtually no wear apart from some lipping in the tops of the bores. The gearbox was in poorer shape and all the synchros were worn badly and a little bit of slop in the selectors but totally salvageable. Decided to sell the motor and box for a newer block and still yet to get him back on the road :cry:

Hooroo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:13 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks everyone for your responses. Just wondering how the A-series stacks up against other 40+ year old engines that I'm more familiar with. Sounds like it stacks up reasonably well. Thanks again!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:31 am 
848cc
848cc

Rosebud wrote:
I drive Rosebud pretty much every day. Usually 100-250 gentle miles per month. No dumping the clutch, always bip the throttle for a downshift and often double clutch for an up shift. I change the oil & filter and adjust the valves every 3K miles.

So my question is; what kind of longevity can I expect from the drivetrain? What wears out first… clutch, synchros, rings, valves? I posted this question on my usual Mini forum and I'm not getting many responses—it's had to believe no one has an opinion on this. My build was a complete resto; virtually every nut & bolt as new including motor, trans, and everything else, really. My starting point is mile zero.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:12 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks everyone for your responses. This is good news indeed. The bulk of my experience, automotive-wise has been modern cars (lasts forever) and old VWs (doesn't last forever, but who cares?). I'm 68, so it sounds like my grandson(s) will have to deal with the rebuild, eh?