Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Quality Carpet Set
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:23 am 
848cc
848cc

Wear pads are available in a set from Newton Commercial, but not cheap. Around $35 delivered via post, but come with rivets. Only available in black. Hard to find on the catalogue, so best to drop them a mail.

'78 Clubman 'Special' (track car)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:50 am 
998cc
998cc

Wakka wrote:
Wear pads are available in a set from Newton Commercial, but not cheap. Around $35 delivered via post, but come with rivets. Only available in black. Hard to find on the catalogue, so best to drop them a mail.

That's good, but I don't need any. When you being asked to fork out $1295 for a carpet set, you'd think that they'd be part and parcel of the product.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

Had a frustrating afternoon in the shed today starting to fit the carpets to the car. I started with the sill piece under the driver side door and after a bit of extra trimming around the seat cross member managed to get it fitting pretty close. Then went on to the firewall piece and, to me, this doesn't seem to be even close to the right shape. The carpet piece was supplied cut to a certain shape but it doesn't seem to match my car very well. There is a cut-out for the pedal assembly but it doesn't seem to be large enough and doesn't go far enough to clear the accelerator cable. It looks like it should also have a cut-out for the heater hoses coming through the firewall but there is nothing. It looks as though I will be doing a lot more cutting and fitting than I was expecting. Not really good enough after paying top dollar.

The underlay turned out pretty well after some help from the forum, thanks Winabbey.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Do these help?

Attachment:
dsc00433.jpg

Attachment:
dsc00432.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks gtogreen, that's exactly what it should look like. The firewall carpet supplied had a bit of shaping at the side and a small rectangular cut-out where the pedal box is, but nothing else. The material is good, the workmanship is good but it is not very faithful to the original carpet. Lots of detail missing. I am going to have a crack at All Car Carpets, it's a bit of a stretch calling it a reproduction Cooper S carpet set.

I have managed to get hold of some original dimensions so hopefully I can recover what I have got.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:45 pm 
848cc
848cc

It's been a while but I finally got to spend a good few hours in the shed over the long weekend. The carpet is finally in and after lots of cutting and shutting is close to being acceptable. I did have a crack at All Car Carpets over the firewall piece and, to their credit, they did replace it claiming they had sent me the wrong piece. However the replacement, although better, was still lacking in lots of detail and was still not accurate dimensionally. With the help of a legend of this forum, Winabbey, I was able to gain access to some critical dimensional information that made this job much easier, but still a chore, rather than a complete disaster. I have modified every single piece of carpet supplied and, fortunately, mostly by removing material. The only place I had to add material was on the door sill pieces which had a too large a radius at the front end. Fortunately I had the discarded firewall carpet piece to cut fill-ins from.

Having now seen some of the original BMC drawings, and the amazing amount of minor detail shown on them, it is now obvious to me that producing a true reproduction carpet set would be practically impossible without them, even if you had a NOS set.

I've still got to tidy up around the hand brake and cut a couple of slots for the seat belts on the rear carpet. The front carpet piece is a full 2" (50mm) too long (according to the drawing) and pushes hard up under the accelerator pedal. I'm not sure what to do with this as the entire edge is vinyl bound. I could send it back to ACC to fix or, maybe, cut the 2" off myself (as I'm getting good at cutting carpet) and try and have it re-bound with vinyl locally.

AS previously mentioned I am happy with the quality of the material and general workmanship but it is an extremely long bow to draw to call this a "Reproduction" Cooper S carpet set. Way too much detail missing and dimensional inaccuracies. I hear ACC now have access to the original drawings for a trial supply, and I believe, if they faithfully follow the drawings, the resulting product should be awesome.

A couple of photos follow;

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

You seem to have done an excellent job on the front floor mat. From memory, my first Mk1 had an annoying kink/bulge in the tunnel area close to the dipswitch.

1966 Deluxe- next rustoration!
Mk 2 & XJ6 Jags. Less said the better.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:44 pm 
848cc
848cc

AEG163job wrote:
You seem to have done an excellent job on the front floor mat. From memory, my first Mk1 had an annoying kink/bulge in the tunnel area close to the dipswitch.

Funny you should say that. The position of the dip switch hole was probably the only drawing dimension I found slightly inaccurate (for my car anyway). I ended up cutting the dip switch hole slightly further away from the gear stick than the drawing said it should be.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I am thinking about buying a new set of carpet for my MK1 S and wondering if any one has purchased the Minisport SA Westminster sets? The photos look like it is better than the All Car Carpet sets?

Interested in feed back before I spend $1200+?

1978 ex 1275 LS ("Wizard" Eaton Supercharged) :)
2015 HSV GenF GTS(occasional drive & tow car)
2019 MINI F55 Cooper S