Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: magic wand question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:31 pm 
848cc
848cc

There are two types. Is the floor hole location the same for both?

Post subject: Re: magic wand question
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:05 pm 
998cc
998cc

Wagic wand and pudding stirrer, yes.
I'm not sure which one is better though. The pudding stirrer plates often have wear so might need some work.

1966 Morris Mini Van
1969 Morris Mini Deluxe Resto
5/72 Clubman Gt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:51 pm 
848cc
848cc

And there's no way I can throw the 4 synchro gears into the 3 synchro box?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:06 pm 
848cc
848cc

Flash, I have seen a four synchro gearset fitted to a 3 synchro case, but it was a major engineering effort by a skilled toolmaker/engineer who essentially did it for the challenge in his own fully equipped fabrication workshop. It would not be cost effective unless you could do it yourself... For example, a large chunk of the centre gearbox web had to be removed/remade from memory in order to accommodate the heftier gearset...

If you want a four synchro box and magic wand change, it is pretty straightforward to mate an 850 diff housing to a four synchro box - I have one in my 850 and it works very nicely. An unworn direct 850 gear change is quite positive, with less linkages than the Cooper type remote housing (eg additional wear points).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:52 pm 
998cc
998cc

TartanRed wrote:
Flash, I have seen a four synchro gearset fitted to a 3 synchro case, but it was a major engineering effort by a skilled toolmaker/engineer who essentially did it for the challenge in his own fully equipped fabrication workshop. It would not be cost effective unless you could do it yourself... For example, a large chunk of the centre gearbox web had to be removed/remade from memory in order to accommodate the heftier gearset...

If you want a four synchro box and magic wand change, it is pretty straightforward to mate an 850 diff housing to a four synchro box - I have one in my 850 and it works very nicely. An unworn direct 850 gear change is quite positive, with less linkages than the Cooper type remote housing (eg additional wear points).

I've done the same, 1100S, 4 synchro box, 850 diff housing. Car looks original inside, just don't open the bonnet 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:57 am 
998cc
998cc

TartanRed wrote:

The remote housing has featured in many Mini models from the Deluxe onwards, not just Cooper models.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

Apparently, the poms had a short run of magic wands with the four synchro box. These were fitted to some commercials and 850's. It would be awesome to find one of those but in Australia? I could try an old 850 diff housing but I have read sometimes it fits, sometimes it leaks oil like a mofo all over the driveway.

If nothing eventuates before the engine is done, I'll be cutting a hole in the floor and going with rod-change. The car is not so original or valuable that it's worth restoring.