Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Mini K Van ID
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:17 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi All,

Considering adding a van to sit beside my 1970 K and 68 S. Haven't paid for it yet.

Advice is sought as it is missing an ID Plate and has the firewall cut (rough) to accommodate a weber in it's previous life.

The van has a chasis No of 4534 taken from rego papers that expired in 2006 and in my book that dates it around the late 1970. It has an 1100s motor on top of rod change box so that doesn't help ID either. Solid vehicle otherwise.

What type of ID plate should it have and where? one like my K, small square alloy plate or one like my late 68 S. As mentioned it has large cut for a weber in the firewall and even the wiper motor has a thick black paint so hard to ID. To repair firewall I do have a rusty shell with a firewall intact, what a job though, but my main main concern is for ID to actually register it, even if it is for historic plates.

All thoughts and suggestions appreciated.

DaveP

Post subject: Re: Mini K Van ID
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:48 pm 
Yay For Hay!

It doesn't need a plate to be able to be registered - rego authorities use whatever is stamped into the body

If it doesn't have holes in the crossmember for a small rectangular plate like your K (which must be a late '70 car), it may have 4 holes in the same area for the larger square plate. If no holes in the crossmember, and it is a K then it's a '69 model and didn't have a plate at all. It may have holes in the firewall in the same area where the plate on your '68 car has its ID plate.

What numbers are stamped on the radiator shroud and/or in the windscreen scuttle gutter?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:17 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

If you have YJBAV4R 4534 on the radiator shroud then the firewall will have a body number around 4034 and a body code 2/04V below it. The body number and code are usually hidden under the paint code and weights stickers. This van would have had a square ADR plate dated around 9/70 fitted to the drivers side suspension tower by 4 rivets.

If 4534 is on the firewall with 2/04V below it then your radiator shroud should be around YJBAV4R 5034. This would have had a rectangle ADR plate dated around 1/71 fitted to the drivers side suspension tower by 2 rivets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:08 pm 
848cc
848cc

Update

Much closer look at van and No YJBA4R4534 stamped into radiator cowl, although V is only just distinguishable. Wasn't going to scrape paint out of windscreen scuttle until I get it home and it's mine.

Like my 06/70 K, found the original four rivet holes for the square alloy ID plate, just a lot of black paint 1/2 covering them.

Get it on Friday!

DaveP