Post subject: Gearbox Webbing Ideas
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:04 am 
1098cc
1098cc

Attachment:
Mini Gearbox Webbing 003.JPG
Attachment:
mini-gearbox-rebuild-46.jpg
I have seen 4 bolt gearbox centre bearing webbing that has cracked. I have also seen that in that one bolt is not used so as to stop the webbing cracking. Is that idea OK for use in the 22G1128 Mini gearbox. Your input would be appreciated.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by cooperess on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:56 am 
1098cc
1098cc

I'm surprised that they crack - does that happen from factory, or is this something that's only seen on rebuilt boxes? I can't remember of the top of my head, but I think the helical gears will pull the force *away* from that part - so it shouldn't take much of a beating unless you are doing some really heavy engine braking.

Really I think that using the correct torque with locktabs should be just fine. I've seen some with locktabs and some with split washers - not sure if any came from the factory with split washers or if that's just a replacement. I'd personally prefer locktabs, but that might just be me.

If there is enough force to break it, then something is warping (over-tightening, holes aren't matching up 100%), or there's a serious amount of force there from racing/hillclimbing/general thrashing. You'll probably need that fourth bolt if there's enough movement to crack it, since the only real movement should be the axial force of the bearing, and taking one bolt out will allow for more deflection where that bolt used to be.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:32 am 
Yay For Hay!

yeah - someone has done something very dodgy if it's able to crack - cracking there would mean it's not pulled up against the case properly, so they'd be running too much preload on the double bearing

I don't use locktabs, spring washers and locktite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:34 am 
religious status
religious status

I believe the late Rover boxes only have 3 bolts provided for this reason. But I've not seen one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:36 am 
848cc
848cc

I think the bolt hole was deleted with the introduction of the metro turbo, and jsut standardised across the board, really its only a problem on big power motors.