Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:14 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 12:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

Appreciate the help everyone. Managed to remove it last night, made sure it was at TDC to ensure the C-clip wouldn't interfere. Used plenty of wd40 and oil and let it soak in for a few days.
It came off quite abruptly and with a huge bang that shook the garage.
Now to tackle the primary gear and oil seal.

Any tips of removal/refitting the gear and seal? Read that a tool is used for both but it's something I don't have.
Is it essential?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

850, the round plastic piece you can see on the gear is a dust cover and just slides off . The oil seal is behind this , you can lever the gear off by gently using a lever behind the splines and the seal will come off with it. Be careful because there is a thrust washer behind the gear which might come with it due to the oil inside. I used a special tool purchased from Minisport to protect the seal from the splines and to press it into place. Alternatively you can wrap the gear in tape and use a piece of pipe to drive the seal in . Cheers Phil.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 8:03 pm 
religious status
religious status

I use a 3 leg puller from Supercheap to grip behind the splines. Put a thick cable tie around the legs and pull it tight so they don't slip out. As said the seal will come too.
I made a tapered alloy spline protector to fit the seal, but you can either wrap the splines in shim brass or use a stiff plastic bag pulled tight.

Easiest to fit seal to the gear as above, then slide gear onto crank. Then use a piece of PVC pipe and a block of wood to tap the seal in.
Black Rover MPI seals allegedly seal better than the red/orange ones.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:38 pm 
848cc
848cc

Cool, Thanks MorrisPhil and DrMini. Great advice there.
I'll give this a go on the weekend.
Part of all this is to dismantle my A+ 998 and utilise my original 3 synchro magic wand on it.
Are these issues with using my pre verto clutch on the A+? (I have everything off my 850 engine that will be swapped - flywheel, pressure plate, wok cover, slave cyl)

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 10:06 am 
religious status
religious status

How old is the 850 clutch, pre 1963 they used coil springs. If so I'd fit a diaphragm spring one instead.
Buy a Borg & Beck Cooper S clutch kit, you get the diaphragm, clutch plate and release bearing.