Ausmini
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Rockers
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 7:33 pm 
848cc
848cc

Was doing some stripping down of the engine today pulling the ancillaries off ready to pull it off the front sub frame I pulled the rocker cover off can anybody tell me if these are standard rockers for a 1275 LS engine the engine is the correct number prefix I am sure the one I owned in the 80s just had the plain old pressed ones. Saying that the nuts that hold them on are a bit burred so they have been off before the engine is an unknown quantity it starts and runs but other than that I know nothing about it it's had extractors and a hif44 put on it. The air injection pipes are still there and single valve springs

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Rockers
PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:14 pm 
SooperDooperMiniCooper ExpertEngineering

These are just later model rockers, standard ratio.

All garage work involves equal measures of enthusiasm, ingenuity and a fair degree of irresponsibility.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 8:24 am 
religious status
religious status

Yes those are standard on a 1275LS.
They are sintered iron, unbushed. When they wear badly inside they can break in two...!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:16 am 
1275cc
1275cc

In about 1980 I bought a new 1275 long motor from Mini King with those sintered rockers. Motor was low compression and I am guessing it was a job lot when Leyland closed. It's still in the car and going well.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:28 am 
848cc
848cc

Thank you all for that as I said I thought the one I had in the eighties had the pressed ones but that was a long time ago and the memory is not what it use to be can't remember what I did last week most of the time

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 1:57 pm 
848cc
848cc

Shaun,

My car has pressed ones like you mentioned... but I my engine has been rebuilt by previous owner, so maybe the head was replaced in the process... the block looks to be the original 1275 block

There's 'rumours' that the 1275LS were built with 'left over' components... so who knows.

Fred

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:51 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

fffffred wrote:
Shaun,
There's 'rumours' that the 1275LS were built with 'left over' components... so who knows.

Fred

According to "The Mini Experience" No 16, the 1275LS power units came completely built-up with transmission and diff ratio to suit 12 inch wheels, from UK. They were the same as engines intended for Sweden, US and Japan to meet emission standards similar to Aust.
"By the time delivery of the engines started to arrive from the UK the decision had been taken to stop Mini production in Australia. The simple solution was to have a special run-out model of the LS with the 1275 option pack."

So it doesn't look like they were built with 'left-over components' - but they were built with the last batch of engines from UK.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:40 pm 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
fffffred wrote:
Shaun,

Fred

According to "The Mini Experience" No 16, the 1275LS power units came completely built-up with transmission and diff ratio to suit 12 inch wheels, from UK. They were the same as engines intended for Sweden, US and Japan to meet emission standards similar to Aust.
"By the time delivery of the engines started to arrive from the UK the decision had been taken to stop Mini production in Australia. The simple solution was to have a special run-out model of the LS with the 1275 option pack."

So it doesn't look like they were built with 'left-over components' - but they were built with the last batch of engines from UK.

Myth dispelled :D Great stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:09 pm 
848cc
848cc

fffffred wrote:
Shaun,

My car has pressed ones like you mentioned... but I my engine has been rebuilt by previous owner, so maybe the head was replaced in the process... the block looks to be the original 1275 block

Fred

Thanks for that Fred ......maybe my memory isn't that bad then I was sure the silver one I had in the early eighties had the pressed ones. I had also heard what Bill said about engines being sort from over seas market to comply with the ADR 27a for pollution compliance. As I said engine is an unknown quantity and I haven't a clue if it's standard or been rebuilt before there are signs of the engine being out of the car before and the HIf 44 and extractors but the air injection pipes are still there but crimped off if the engine would have been rebuilt I would have thought these would have been removed and blocked off properly ....mind you the first one I had was only 4 years old when I got it and the air pump and pipes where already gone previous owner didn't mess around on that one lol.........only time will tell when I get around to the engine rebuild and start stripping it down what internal secrets it holds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:32 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

There was a time around '80s when there were few choices for rocker arms. S ones were rare and pricey, the pressed steel ones were not originally meant to be rebushed so the sintered ones might have been the easiest option available.
Since then, growing interest in minis has led to a range of different types becoming available.

Some people used to leave the pollution gear on the engine but disable it, in case they met a picky registration inspector who might object to the parts being removed completely.

When you do strip the motor I would be interested in knowing what camshaft is in it. The cam in the 1275 I fitted to my mini K made it a very responsive car. It has been reground since and it isn't quite as zippy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:09 pm 
religious status
religious status

The pressed steel ones give more lift than all the others including S forged ones which were worst.
The oval pad pressed steel 1275 ones are best. I tested them all for lift ratio a few years ago.