1967 mini Cooper S

Post subject: Re: Help needed...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:32 pm 
848cc
848cc

zulu_warrior1976 wrote:
Any ideas on what’s involved?

Yep!
If you are going to use one of the commercial frames, like from Minitec, Watsons, Allspeed, etc. first you do all your research to work out what is best for you... whether it is a Clubby or a roundie, whether you want standard length or extended front, steel front or fibreglass flip front, or whether you want to and are capable of building your own front frame.
You need to consider a lot of detail on the pros and cons of each aspect of the conversion, the components used, the wheels you want, gear ratio options, compromises... basically, work out what you think you want to build.

Then, you either find a DPTI recognised engineer who is happy to work with you on it and go and discuss it with them if there are things you are not sure about, and fill in the 'Application to Modify' form and submit it to DPTI Vehicle Standards.... or you skip the engineer and just submit the form if you are confident you have it all covered.

Vehicle Standards will send you back a 'Statement of Requirements' that details what it needs to comply with and what you need to do.

Then you build it, get the engineer to check it, write his report/submission and sign it off, go through the DPTI inspection/approval process - then drive it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:38 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Their are a few new engines that could be good options for a swap it's just you need to take a leap and try one you think will fit, that's how we got into the GTI and the 4efe etc pick the smallest engine with over 100bhp and have a crack.
PS I wouldn't bother with a 3 cyl charade N/A, they are usless.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:32 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Tim I wrote:
There are not a lot of Vtec Minis registered in Australia yet, but there are a few under construction with at least a couple in SA.
And theres not a lot of them because they are not a simple or cheap conversion!

I'd almost go as far to say they are simpler than people think - Having finished one I could do another quite easily.
They are easily one of the most popular conversions overseas because the hondas were locally built and are plentiful.
That knowledge base and the number of companies knocking out kits to do so is what makes them so easy to do.

Can't argue with the cost though - they not cheap at all!