Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:21 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hello from New Zealand

I have a 1965 Mk1 Australian built Cooper S. Can anyone point me to an online diagram of the door handle assembly and locking mechanism? The RHD door handle is quite floppy so I am trying to get it out to see what needs to be done.

Cheers Francis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:38 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

I’d recommend buying the Gregory’s manual number 64 as it covers the doors and other Australian specific parts
Eg

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254631108924

There was a recent post the same here
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=100162

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:58 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Timmy has beaten me to it.....
For some reason none of the factory workshop manuals cover the doors and locks in any useful detail. There are always some questions on this site about them - try doing a search under 'door', 'lock', 'latch' etc.
The best manual to cover these is from Scientific Publications (later Gregory's) Number 64 but must be a 2nd edition covering 1971 models at least as the first edition didn't include wind-up windows - as per timmy's photo.
I'd post a scan of the relevant page but am having trouble with the scanner at present.

The floppy handle is often the snail spring worn/broken. It can also be a worn square-drive link pin that fits through a once-square hole in the latch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:30 pm 
religious status
religious status

What Bill said ^^
There are nylon washers in the handle assembly, add more to make it less loose. As distinct from 'floppy'.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:42 pm 
848cc
848cc

I'm just into fixing my mk1 door bit too. I believe you need to retension or renew the snail spring that holds the door handle up.
Attachment:
snail spring.jpg

HYA3512- Morris mini 'wind up' door spring 'Snail spring'

This spring holds the outer door handle up to the rubber stopper keeping the outer handle totally horizontal, fits inside the door and goes around the shaft of the outer door handle. This spring is for the Australian made windup window cars from late 1965 to late 1970.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:28 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thank you very much everyone for your replies. I now have the door handles out, in bits and find the drivers door handle (RHS) handle shaft is very worn. I think as these parts are hard to find my best option is to try to build the part up before re chroming. Is this what other people have done?

Cheers Francis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:05 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

fkay wrote:
…. I now have the door handles out, in bits and find the drivers door handle (RHS) handle shaft is very worn. I think as these parts are hard to find my best option is to try to build the part up before re chroming?...…..

Cheers Francis

Are you referring to the square bar mounted in the handle? If so, it should be removeable - there is a pin holding it to the handle. A replacement or repair should be possible. It is very likely the square hole that the bar fits into is also worn and will need building up to reduce free movement.