Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re: Decisions decisions
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:02 pm 
1275cc
1275cc

Phosphoric acid wash is used as a final clean and conditioning of the metal to help the primer coat adhere, applied just before painting. As Allen says, it isn't a protective coating and rust bloom on bare metal will reappear next day in damp conditions.

BUT I wouldn't use oil or WD40 on metal you are about to paint. It is difficult to thoroughly cleaned off.
If you have removed most of the old paint and underseal by hand, is there much point having it sand blasted? I've only ever used paint stripper to go back to bare metal.

Post subject: Decisions decisions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:30 am 
848cc
848cc

p7676 wrote:
Dont use phosphoric acid to seal the panels . After the panels are stripped wipe them with a rag and a fine oil, even wd will last a fair while
All seams are to be sealed with urethane eg sika You also need a sand blaster that knows how to blast cars.He will use the correct medium.
Allen
Maybe I named the stuff incorrectly. It goes on clear and dries to a milky finish to seal the bare metal. It’s been very successful so far with no signs of any rust at all.
I agree with you about the sika. Well sealed seams are a must. It’s hard to get a good sandblaster who knows his stuff. I’m trusting that the panel shop chooses the right guy. History is good with previous cars but I guess it’s always possible that they want to train someone up and use my car as practice. I shudder at the thought.
Neil
Tapatalk has duplicated this message a few times by the looks of it. Sorry about the repetitive stuff. I don’t think it’s something that I did
Neil

Last edited by Neilwillo on Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:33 am 
848cc
848cc

Bill B wrote:
Phosphoric acid wash is used as a final clean and conditioning of the metal to help the primer coat adhere, applied just before painting. As Allen says, it isn't a protective coating and rust bloom on bare metal will reappear next day in damp conditions.

BUT I wouldn't use oil or WD40 on metal you are about to paint. It is difficult to thoroughly cleaned off.
If you have removed most of the old paint and underseal by hand, is there much point having it sand blasted? I've only ever used paint stripper to go back to bare metal.
I also wondered about the need to blast the body but I am more comfortable about it now that it’s going to be a lot easier and less force used.
Neil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:18 am 
1360cc
1360cc

Neilwillo wrote:
Tapatalk has duplicated this message a few times by the looks of it. Sorry about the repetitive stuff. I don’t think it’s something that I did
Neil

Neil - see this - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=99863

I've removed the extra posts.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:27 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Neil and 1275 too
A friend of mine has a 1970 police issued Cooper S which was bought by his uncle from the NSW police auctions. Under the green paint on the motor it is Leyland blue. The motor has never been out of the car since they have owned it.
I wondered if you or anyone else have come across this with late police issued mini's. It definitely is 1275 mk2 with numbers matching numbers.
Tim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:30 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Silly me wrote:
Hi Neil and 1275 too
A friend of mine has a 1970 police issued Cooper S which was bought by his uncle from the NSW police auctions. Under the green paint on the motor it is Leyland blue. The motor has never been out of the car since they have owned it.
I wondered if you or anyone else have come across this with late police issued mini's. It definitely is 1275 mk2 with numbers matching numbers.
Tim

That's interesting information.

What month in 1970 was the car built, as stamped on the ADR Compliance plate? This will determine whether it was a standard Cooper S or a Special Production Order version.

When you say "matching numbers", what was the engine number matched against? Receipt from the NSW Govt. auction, drivers handbook, or something else?

Is it included in the MK II Cooper S Register?

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=90887

I can assist with other Police identifying aspects and background if you wish.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:37 pm 
848cc
848cc

I'll message Michael to find out the month. The numbers I believe relate to the paperwork from the auction. I don't think it would be on the register as it has been off the road for years in a shed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

Silly me wrote:
Hi Neil and 1275 too
Tim
Hi Tim, sorry mate, mine is the old solid green with metallic over the top. I’m not sure if this helps but I have had the opportunity to have several long discussions with Ron Williams in Tenterfield. Ron is very well respected as a concourse restorer and historian. He has been into minis for many, many years. What he doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing. He’s had more Cooper S through his business than I’ve had hot dinners. Ron told me several times that anything is possible. It’s important to put a 55 year hat on when trying to make sense of what we are seeing today. Back then the factory did whatever it needed to do to build a car and get a sale. Sometimes this doesn’t make sense to us in these modern times but with supply shortages and production line slip ups the pressure to get the car out the door was high. Mix and match was common as was “average “ attention to detail.
Neil

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:04 pm 
848cc
848cc

Neilwillo wrote:
Silly me wrote:
Hi Neil and 1275 too
Tim
Hi Tim, sorry mate, mine is the old solid green with metallic over the top. I’m not sure if this helps but I have had the opportunity to have several long discussions with Ron Williams in Tenterfield. Ron is very well respected as a concourse restorer and historian. He has been into minis for many, many years. What he doesn’t know isn’t worth knowing. He’s had more Cooper S through his business than I’ve had hot dinners. Ron told me several times that anything is possible. It’s important to put a 55 year hat on when trying to make sense of what we are seeing today. Back then the factory did whatever it needed to do to build a car and get a sale. Sometimes this doesn’t make sense to us in these modern times but with supply shortages and production line slip ups the pressure to get the car out the door was high. Mix and match was common as was “average “ attention to detail.
Neil
Hi Doug, as before, Tapatalk ap has done the duplication. I hit post one, it spins it’s wheels for a few minutes then pops up a “cannot post error “ message. I hit cancel and it posts multiple messages. I can’t see them at first but when I exit out of the post and go back into it they all visible.
Definitely not pressing the buttons multiple times. It’s freezing then doing it by itself
Cheers
Neil

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:15 pm 
848cc
848cc

Michael has a blue November 1970 bought directly from the Nsw police auctions. Engine number 9FXEY56113. Underneath the green paint is blue paint. The motor has never been reconditioned.
That is all I know.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:29 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Silly me wrote:
Michael has a blue November 1970 bought directly from the Nsw police auctions. Engine number 9FXEY56113. Underneath the green paint is blue paint. The motor has never been reconditioned.
That is all I know.

Being November 1970 it will be SPO41, so performance and other upgrades.

Very interesting re the blue paint. When we think we know everything about our humble Mini something new surfaces.

P.S. If Michael is happy to have it added to the Register he can contact me at bmcpublications@bigpond.com and we can discuss what's needed.

VMCI #43

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi
Thank you as it has been really interesting. I will convey this to Michael. Hopefully he will be willing to register his Cooper S and the other/s.
I only have the one and its already on the register. But i do have some unused factory clubby doors, guards, grill and both GT badges with labels or packaging. Plus a set of GT seats which are nearly mint.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:48 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thank you all for your support and suggestions about colours. I’ve got to admit that I am still not 100% sure but after some very sage advice on here and off here I am 95% sure that it’s going back to Crystal White all over just like it left the factory.
Thanks for your help.
Neil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Neil,

Like you, I was wondering whether or not to paint my 850 in the original colour (Saxon Green) or go for something else. It's a matching numbers car and I decided early on in the resto that I wanted something that was close to original but not a show car. For example, with the seats I went with cloth instead of vinyl. I've kept the original wheels and hubcaps but I can't get a real good grill for it so I'm going to fit an Austin Cooper one that I think matches the original one as close as possible. I'm putting black carpet in it instead of grey vinyl. I'm fitting a heater as well.

I've had the original motor and gearbox rebuilt but I'm running a spin on oil filter, plastic fan, a bigger carby and extractors. Alternator instead of gennie.

Hopefully Minnie is a bit more user friendly day to day with the changes from original.

So when it came down to colour, just about everyone I spoke to said the same thing - "paint it the colour you want it. Only one person has to like it - you". As I was not all that fond of saxon green (it looks a bit too greyish in my opinion), I made up a brighter, cleaner shade of green that still looks like a 1960's colour. Then I decided to paint the roof white - BMC Snowberry white which looks terrific with the green.

I don't plan on selling Minnie so I'm not all that concerned about the potential sale price. The kids can worry about that when I'm gone. :D
I've spent a lot of time over the last 2 years restoring her and I want the finished job to be something that when I walk in the shed to fire her up, I get a smile on my face.

If I was doing a true to period resto, then I would have most likely gone with saxon green and kept everything else stock standard.

On another note, I bare metalled my shell (inside and out) using paint strippers and those steel scourer things. I started sanding but found the strippers easier, especially in the engine bay and boot. I did get the subframes and rims sand blasted as these were too fiddly to do by hand and get into all the corners etc. Once the body was in bare metal, it didn't need any blasting - just a good rub with 120 grit (I think from memory may have been some 80 and 240 as well) then 2 pack etch.

Cheers, Rocky

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:55 am 
1360cc
1360cc

winabbey wrote:
Very interesting re the blue paint. When we think we know everything about our humble Mini something new surfaces.

Police Garages and dealers would NOT have been as write-off happy in those days...so repair and a respray may not have been out of the question during service...colour change? ran out of blue so hit it with some green! :lol: