Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:35 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

well,,, as it happens,,, the old turbo twinky moke that we did a few years ago has had a moment... there was a little lack of "checking the oil level" & it`s done the turbo in (Naughty Michael)

sooo,,, while it was here i decided to rip the engine out & rip it apart for a little bo-peep inside her

& to my amazement there was absolutely nothing wrong with the thing

it was all good,,, no Sh!t... & yep i`m shocked too :-) ,,, for an engine that`s been running around for quite a few years with over 160hp on tap,,, & been used hard & abused even harder, not to have anything wrong with it,,, """especially after it`s been run low on oil""" just has me a little choofed to say the least

this thing really has had a hammering

so,,, yeah, i`m quite the happy chappy :-)

i`ve taken a video of the internals immediately after we stripped it down & i also have my trusty witness Archie to back this up if anyone wants to have a go :-)

so,,, just for the sake of it & making it all nice again i`ve thrown a set of rings & bearings, gaskets & seals & an oil-pump at it & chucked her all back together

it will be going back in the hole this week & a we have a new turbo that is in the process of clocking & fitting onto it as the old one went kaput

we will double check the tune (simple ign timing & fuel check & adjust) & it should be all good to go again

Pretty happy i am :-) ;-) :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:52 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

I DON'T BELIEVE YOU!

(I do, I just want to see the video)

Great to hear another strong ReadSpeed A-series going strong 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:35 pm 
998cc
998cc

What sort of oil was being used to handle a turbo and keep it alive despite lack of oil. Not trying to start something just curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:21 pm 
998cc
998cc

That's the point, the turbo gave in before the engine did. Mabey the level dipped below the oil feed for the turbo. A second of 0psi at the turbo will ruin it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:28 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Oil feed for the turbo is the same as for the rest of the bearings in the engine - the oil pump. That said, with the high RPM of the turbo, the bearings would be shot much faster than at the big end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:21 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

yeah i was really worried about the bearings , of course, & that`s why i stripped it down really,,, not just a curiosity thing but a precautionary thing mainly

& i`ve no idea what oil he used but i`ll ask him tomorow

the turbo will be re-built (probly go onto one of my engines) :-) so it wasn`t "Totally" rooted

edit--> the bearings did show obvious signs of "usage" :-) so it was happy to accept new bearings, of course, i wouldn`t have put them back in, but they could have stayed in there a while longer too, if you know what i mean, so it`s just a std issue freshen up & hope all will be well,,, crossing fingers :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:28 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

How did the pistons look? Any signs of detonation or overheating?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:03 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

Morris 1100 wrote:
How did the pistons look? Any signs of detonation or overheating?

none, zero, ziltch, we learnt that part the hard way already :-(

there was absolutely no carbon past the first ring, on any of em, all the rings look sweet-as under a magnifying glass, near new looking pistons, just lovely coloured :-)

it`s all back together & back in the moke now, & hope to fire her back up again late in the week maybe, cross fingers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:10 pm 
Causing or creating vexation

Sounds like it was working very well. Congrats!

Maybe an accumulator on the turbo oil supply? (So that the turbo will keep spinning while the main bearings are starving! :lol: )

The last turbo I was involved with had an oil accumulator on the supply line. If the motor suddenly stopped the oil would keep feeding for a minute or two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:17 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

ok we got it running now...& yes it sounds all sweet & yummy too :-)

problem is that i`m off on 2 weeks holiday in Byron bay now so no time to tune & tweek things

& the video we took of the engine being ripped apart has been wiped by the optus phone repair company ;-( Really bummed because that wasn`t the only video & we also lost a whole pile of photos of the work that we`d been doing on plenty of other customers cars too,,, so not very happy with samsung S2 phones or Optus at the moment :-(

so ,,, have a good time while i`m away, no bickering & see you all when i`m back

:-)