Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:38 pm 
848cc
848cc

I recon that's the most nerve racking time doing the dyno. After all the work you've done to trust it all to a tuner who at some point will be revving the ringer out of your engine, hoping all the mixtures are right.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:46 pm 
998cc
998cc

That sounds good.... those figures in mid range,.... where you will be spending most of your time.... sound to me a perfect basis as a starter map..... let the play begin.

Excellent work and perseverance as well as good calls on diagnosis... methinks you will soon start testing out the aerodynamic limits of that little square best..

Great build thread

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:52 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hey Steve, good to see your mini today - looks fantastic.
You are a few years ahead of where I'm at with my moke, so it's good to see it come together and how good it looks when it's finished. It helps with keeping me motivated!

Lots of good info and pics in this thread too, will be a very useful reference.

Cheers
Anthony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:12 pm 
848cc
848cc

Thanks Mate, It was good to actually drive it, albeit a be of a hand full. A bit more adjustment required. Idle still 'hunting', doesn't like being drive below 2000rev's through town, but is fantastic on the highway at 100K's and 4000rev's and up to 120K's at which point it feels like it's wanting more fuel. So now it has a few miles on the new motor, and a few more on the weekend, I'll have another play, bigger injectors (200cc not big enough) and reduce the overlap (to smooth it out down low).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:25 am 
Bimmer Twinky

i use these ones Steve-->

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290616579041?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

& we just run them in the lathe to machine another clip-groove
into the right spot to suit the Bimmer clip location

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:44 pm 
848cc
848cc

Hi Matt,
Sorry I haven't been in touch, didn't want to annoy you with questions we had to work out for ourselves. Hope you are well and fighting fit :lol:

As you can see we have had a bit of trouble getting it sorted. And it was all to do with trying to use the BMW injectors and fuel presure regulator.Once we put the adjustable FPR in and a set of VT Commodore injectors (I was told they were 200cc). At the moment trying to get some K's on it before we have another go at the injectors. I have some 230cc and 249cc injectors coming, but you have thrown a spanner in the works with the injectors you have suggested (370cc). Are you running these in N/A or Turbo engines?????

The only other thing that has been a challenge is the idle. It's only happy above 1000 and closer to 1500 revs and tends to hunt a lot. Butterfly have been adjusted equally with 2 thou feeler gauges and the vaccum has been balanced with quad vaccum gauges. Is it just a thing with these BMW throttle bodies?????

Once we get the fuel going better I'll have a play with the Cams. Although I measured an overlap of 2.5mm open it feels and sounds like more. On overrun it "CHURPS" like there are cannaries in the air filters.

There you go, you should have known if you popped your head up I would fire questions at you.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:30 pm 
1098cc
1098cc

Steve, what's your vacuum trace look like? I've MegaJolted my 1301. It's just a 5 port, I've taken the vacuum line off the brake booster's line. Which, on my AEG 573 manifold, comes off the balance pipe. Which means it's in constant flux. But I've managed to get it to work. When I first hooked up, my vacuum graph looked like a shark's mouth - up and down, very spiky. The solution was to add in a small chamber as a vacuum reservoir. I've gone for an empty fuel filter. It takes out the constant change in vacuum and makes it an average level, but still reacts quickly to throttle changes. The bigger the vacuum reservoir, the slower the response, so you don't want a big one, but a nice small one might just balance out your throttle bodies, and thereby allow the computer to run at a single set of values, rather than hunting through them..? :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:56 pm 
848cc
848cc

Tadhg wrote:
Steve, what's your vacuum trace look like? I've MegaJolted my 1301. It's just a 5 port, I've taken the vacuum line off the brake booster's line. Which, on my AEG 573 manifold, comes off the balance pipe. Which means it's in constant flux. But I've managed to get it to work. When I first hooked up, my vacuum graph looked like a shark's mouth - up and down, very spiky. The solution was to add in a small chamber as a vacuum reservoir. I've gone for an empty fuel filter. It takes out the constant change in vacuum and makes it an average level, but still reacts quickly to throttle changes. The bigger the vacuum reservoir, the slower the response, so you don't want a big one, but a nice small one might just balance out your throttle bodies, and thereby allow the computer to run at a single set of values, rather than hunting through them..? :idea:

Originally had all 4 throttle bodies linked and also "T" into the adjustable FPR. Idle wasn't great so reverted to the way the bikes are set up vaccum from one throttle body and the other three capped. Made the idle better, but the vaccum read to the computer was low and was prone to stalling. Gone back to linking the four throttle bodies and had a play with the vaccum screws and can get a constant idle albeit at around 1500.

The additional chamber sound logical might have to give it a try once I get the injectors in.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:59 pm 
Bimmer Twinky

yeah the 2.5 overlap will make it lumpy-ish but should be able to sort it

how`s the compression tho,>? did you sort that ?
it should be up around 180lbs each cyl

& yes we use those injectors for all the engines N/A & Turbo,,, they work a treat :-)

goin good Steve,,, like all the girls keep saying--> keep it up :-)

You should put your heart & soul into everything you do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:05 pm 
848cc
848cc

TheMiniMan wrote:
yeah the 2.5 overlap will make it lumpy-ish but should be able to sort it

how`s the compression tho,>? did you sort that ?
it should be up around 180lbs each cyl

& yes we use those injectors for all the engines N/A & Turbo,,, they work a treat :-)

goin good Steve,,, like all the girls keep saying--> keep it up :-)

Thanks Matt

Looks like I will order the 370cc injectors Monday, but before I do, I will be speaking to one of the members on here, he is using IWP189 510cc injectors, with SC throttle bodies.

Haven't been back to the compression. I was so pleased it started I just wanted to get some road K's on it. Whilst changing the injectors and playing with the cams I'll re-test the compression, with a different compression tester and let you know.

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:53 pm 
998cc
998cc

Hi steve any updates?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:18 am 
848cc
848cc

Hi braad

A very long story short, it's going really good now. A little bit hard to start (cold), but now idles nicely at 1000rpm, doesn't mind crawling through 50k or 60k traffic in forth. And with the 3.1:1 diff travels the highway at 115kph (using a GPS) @ 3800rpm. And I haven't been game to go past 140K's

Building the twinky was easy, getting it to run has been frustrating. The biggest problem was the lack of injector size. The 370cc injectors worked a treat. The other major problem was the MicroTech ECU (the back up support was like trying to get blood out of a stone :x ) would use a different one next time.

The ECU uses two types of sensor to control fuel MAP (manifold absolute pressure) TPS (throttle position sensor) and a combination of both. I'm no expert here but I have learnt a lot trying to get it right.

Because of the bike head and quad TB's the vaccum is eradic (therefore poor idle). Microtech manual suggests switching to TPS only (fixed idle) BUT, the TPS was going from closed to WOT (wide open throttle) at quarter throttle, therefore dumping heaps of unnecessary fuel in at cruise so most went out the exhaust and all over the back of the car. No adjustment in ECU to calibrate both Zero and 100%. After one of my rear ocassions where Mircotech reponded to my email they suggested MAP would be better, but with a vacuum distribution block. Which consisted of four equal length hoses from each TB into the block and one hose to the ECU. And now the ECU takes reading from ther MAP and TPS.

From that point we were nearly there. I would just like to say I didn't work all these things out myself, I spoke to numerous people from this forum, far more knowlegeable than myself, and each piece of information I received started to make sence. Thank you to each one of you, those I have spoken to know who they are.

I was asked on Sunday at MITG Show N Shine by more than one person, "Was it worth doing?" my answer was, "To be honest, two weeks ago I didn't think so, But now it's a real buzz and I'm loving the way it drives!"

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:59 pm 
848cc
848cc

Congratulations Steve on an inspiring transformation I have thoroughly enjoyed watching every step of the project and have taken notes throughout regarding the rebuild as I am currently looking for a clean early model clubman like yours to turn into a GT replica well done regards Jason

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:05 am 
998cc
998cc

Congratulations Steve one of the cleanest clubmans going around hope mine can be half as good as yours is one day.
keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:05 am 
848cc
848cc

Thanks for the coments.

Since it's been on the road I've been chuffed to pick up trophies at the, ACT shown n shine, minis in the gong show n shine and went to look at another GT at the Crookwell Ag Show and pick up a trophy while I was parked there. Pick up the new GT today I will post a photo in the next couple of days. All in all people seem to like not only the car it self, but how the Twinky fits and seems to belong. And, it's funny how people try to pick which BMW motor it is. :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 281 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next