Ausmini
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:22 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Electronic dash
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:31 am 
848cc
848cc

Part way through a VTEC into 76 Clubbie conversion, using a DTA ecu and harness from Watsons in the UK. Brilliant setup - no agonising over what sensors to use, how to talk to the Honda ecu, etc. Put the motor into the car, connected the battery, fuel, harness, connected DTA to Windows laptop, ran a test on injectors, etc, then turned the key. Fired up first time.

However, I am at the stage of looking for an electronic dash that takes the real time data from the ecu and allows me to configure a dash using something like a 7" tablet. Folks using Megasquirt have access to Shadow Dash, which is cheap as chips and does the job well, but won't talk to the DTA. All I can find for mine so far is DTA's X-Dash which costs a fortune, but in this day and age of clever IT sods showing how to make things talk to each other there has to be SOMEONE who has already done this, or has some idea where to start chasing software that will enable the project.

Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Electronic dash
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:00 pm 
848cc
848cc

We are fitting a nexus 7 with Bluetooth diagnostics...

Also a few other options

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:58 pm 
848cc
848cc

Nice tablet. Are you using a DTA ecu? If so, what software are you using to generate a dash where you can specify how and where to display your gauges?

Post subject: Electronic dash
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:16 pm 
848cc
848cc

Bluetooth using the obd 2, few different apps that you can use, it depends on engine etc.. Some work better than others

Dash command, is fairly customised

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:24 pm 
848cc
848cc

Care to share some details? Apps used, etc. I have a B16A2 motor, the DTA is set up for Windows output.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:11 pm 
848cc
848cc

Windows output - android based.

Currently In the design ATM however this should point you in the right direction.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthr ... ?t=1799107

Nexus 7 will put me back second hand about $80-90 plus the extras, about $140-160 depending on what you want to add..

I'll be adding a dac - audio output RCA

External HD
external additional usb inputs and outputs
Digital radio dobgal and the obd2 bluetooth attachment.

Keep in mind you will need to speak to someone about the legalities .... If you are using this as the only speedo.

Tricky is yet to update the thread however for the actual dash - rev/speedo we will be using a Honda cluster

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:48 am 
1275cc
1275cc

Location: Burpengary, Queensland - Home of Tricky Performance Engineering
Dont forget to add to the price the regulated power supplies and other stuff that is needed to make it work.

Cheers,
Tricky

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:39 pm 
848cc
848cc

Problem solved not so long ago. Tablet is a 7" LeNovo Tab3, less than $100 brand new. This has an inbuilt GPS and responds to an OTG cable that imports the signal from the ECU and also 3.5V (via a cheap stepdown transformer) - both into the Micro USB port. Software (Pro version, very cheap) from Alex Chard (see the DTA forum) which is called DTADroid, as it's designed for Android tablets. Two RS232 cables: 16-9 serial cable from the ECU to a 9-MicroUSB OTG cable, the latter including the power input. You will get all the data you need from the ECU which is displayed in both portrait (gauges only, but 2 pages) and landscape (some gauges and an analogue looking tacho). Also, the software looks for the GPS and displays road speed in either mph or kmh format. I have installed a mount for the tablet that rotates through 90 degrees to toggle between portrait and landscape. It works, and for so little expertise I have saved myself many hundreds of $$$. This is in a Mini with a 1600 B16A2 motor that's going to be road reg. It would also work fine for track work if you position the tablet appropriately. If you don't like cables you can try the Bluetooth road which is not so cheap, and needs a little tweaking to work. Cables seem to be bulletproof.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:35 pm 
1360cc
1360cc

Do you have a normal speedo / odometer in the car to get you past engineering / roadworthy?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:32 pm 
848cc
848cc

Yeah, I bought a front programmable speedo/odo on eBay from NZ and it's sitting in the Mini Spares dash, next to the Mini tacho that I don't use. About $165. It works fine - just input the no of tyre revolutions per kilometre and it does the rest. I've compared it with the GPS speedo and it looks the same. Input (Hall Effect) is from the back of the gearbox.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:41 am 
848cc
848cc

I have a s2000 dash that’s got 1500kms on it that will work if anyone’s interested about to put a whole heap of stuff up for grabs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk